Premed 101 Forums

How to show commitment to Northern Ontario

Good day everyone,

I am moving to Sudbury On, to pursue my Bachelor degree. I am from Winnipeg interested in Northern Ontario Medical school. I am hoping four years in Sudbury with volunteering outside and within the city throughout my undergrad will increase my chances of being accepted because that would likely show my commitment to Northern Ontario. What do you guys think about this?

Welcome Pegcity92!

It's great that you are interested in pursuing medicine in Northern Ontario! The commitment to Northern Ontario and your geographical area is considered in the context score that NOSM gives applicants - it is very hard to receive an interview with a low context score as roughly a third of the pre-interview decision is based on an applicant's context score. No one knows the exact algorithm they use for determining the context score, but it's been generally accepted that living in Northern Ontario is the biggest factor, while coming from a rural and remote town can also help the score. The living in Northern Ontario component takes into account the length of time that you have lived in Northern Ontario, whether you went to high school in Northern Ontario, and/or if you stayed to work in Northern Ontario after finishing university. Pursuing undergraduate studies in a Northern Ontario school (e.g. Laurentian, Lakehead) does not contribute to the length of time that you have lived in Northern Ontario. Since you are from Winnipeg, realistically your only chance of receiving an interview from NOSM is if you grew up in Northern Ontario (or a very remote and rural town outside of Northern Ontario, though this will be less helpful) and then moved to Winnipeg (and essentially are now moving back to Northern Ontario for university) or if after you finish your Bachelor's degree, you stay in Sudbury (or other town/city in Northern Ontario) to work for at least 3-5 years (in the past, applicants who worked for 2 years were told that their context score was too low to have given them a realistic shot at receiving an interview).

You might find this thread helpful: 

10 hours ago, xiphoid said:

Welcome Pegcity92!

It's great that you are interested in pursuing medicine in Northern Ontario! The commitment to Northern Ontario and your geographical area is considered in the context score that NOSM gives applicants - it is very hard to receive an interview with a low context score as roughly a third of the pre-interview decision is based on an applicant's context score. No one knows the exact algorithm they use for determining the context score, but it's been generally accepted that living in Northern Ontario is the biggest factor, while coming from a rural and remote town can also help the score. The living in Northern Ontario component takes into account the length of time that you have lived in Northern Ontario, whether you went to high school in Northern Ontario, and/or if you stayed to work in Northern Ontario after finishing university. Pursuing undergraduate studies in a Northern Ontario school (e.g. Laurentian, Lakehead) does not contribute to the length of time that you have lived in Northern Ontario. Since you are from Winnipeg, realistically your only chance of receiving an interview from NOSM is if you grew up in Northern Ontario (or a very remote and rural town outside of Northern Ontario, though this will be less helpful) and then moved to Winnipeg (and essentially are now moving back to Northern Ontario for university) or if after you finish your Bachelor's degree, you stay in Sudbury (or other town/city in Northern Ontario) to work for at least 3-5 years (in the past, applicants who worked for 2 years were told that their context score was too low to have given them a realistic shot at receiving an interview).

You might find this thread helpful: 

I see someone is procrastinating hard for CARL recently.

Archived