Premed 101 Forums

Do you get to choose your schedule in medical school?

Hello everyone,

I have a couple questions regarding what the class schedule looks like in medical school, particularly in the first 2 years. For example, how many classes does one take per semester? Do you have any flexibility on classes you can take or does everyone take the exact same classes in the first 2 years? Also, do you have flexibility with your time table or does every single class have only one time spot available. Can anyone briefly explain what the class schedule looks like for a typical a medical school in Canada. I'm curious to know but I can't find this information anywhere online! 

Med school is not like undergrad. You don't choose your courses, you don't arrange your own schedules. 

You take the same courses as everyone else in your class. Any particular lectures are for the most part held only once during the school year. Your class may get broken up to smaller groups for certain activities like labs, PBL sessions, clinical activities etc. But you mostly get assigned to those groups and assigned meeting times. 

Those that have miss a significant portion of the year or fail certain components of a course would usually only have the chance to make it up the next year with the next cohort. 

It's more like highschool.

Hope that gives you an idea.

12 hours ago, Billdolla said:

Hello everyone,

I have a couple questions regarding what the class schedule looks like in medical school, particularly in the first 2 years. For example, how many classes does one take per semester? Do you have any flexibility on classes you can take or does everyone take the exact same classes in the first 2 years? Also, do you have flexibility with your time table or does every single class have only one time spot available. Can anyone briefly explain what the class schedule looks like for a typical a medical school in Canada. I'm curious to know but I can't find this information anywhere online! 

yeah just to add for the most part you won't have any flexibility in your schedule etc once in medical school that you are really control until residency, and there you will have minor scheduling powers to arrange vacation etc. For the most part you won't have a lot of control relatively speaking for quite a while. 

You can take a look at schulich's schedule for an idea here:

https://one45.schulich.uwo.ca/webeval/one.php?outputter=calendarOutputter&purpose=displayPublicOverallCurricCalendar&group_id=69&sched_type=public_curric&one45_public_access=

Archived