Premed 101 Forums

New master's degree - chances?

Hi all,

I already applied last cycle and didn't make it to an interview, which was understandable. I've always had one path in mind (forensic psychiatry) and so I decided to get a Master's degree in the meantime to broaden my knowledge. Just wondering what kind of chances I'd have this time, as I unfortunately don't have the time to retake the MCAT this year. 

Undergrad at McMaster in Psych, Neuro & Behaviour, cGPA 3.86     Master's at King's College London in Forensic Mental Health Research (my ultimate goal is forensic psychiatrist). 

MCAT: 507 :'(   CP: 125 BB: 127 CARS: 126 PS: 129      wGPA for UofT: 3.945

I've recently done some volunteering at an oncology clinic, probably about 50 hours (got accepted just before I left for the UK). I've worked in 3 labs, no pubs only acknowledgements. Did an honours thesis+poster. Did some undergrad work editing a journal and as a scientific writing class mentor. Will be doing around 70 hours of shadowing in a forensic community center. Working on master's thesis. Lots of job experience - probably 3 full years and 3 summers.  

Anyway. Just wondering if I really have any chance at all without retaking the MCAT. At this point I'm so busy with my master's that I've decided to retake it next year if I must. 

Your cGPA is reasonable, but not enough for some Ontario Schools.   If eligible, calculate what your wGPA is for UWO, Queens, U of T, Ottawa.   

I do think you need to re-write the MCAT to unlock more schools. The CP125 likely drops you out of an interview for Queens.  CARS127 is good,  but a 130 with might open up a MAC interview.   Raise your overall score to unlock UWO.   Apply to as many schools as you can unlock.

Alright, I had to go back and do some hunting for my old grades because the last time I calculated it was a while ago. If I've done it right, I've calculated my wGPA for UofT to be 3.945 (don't know if I'm allowed to round here haha). So not bad, but I think I really will have to retake the MCAT. 

So you are eligible for UofT.   Are you doing a 1yr or +2yr Masters ? (need to be able to finish the masters in time to apply to UofT.

Can you unlock any other schools ?

What is your last 2 years undergrad wGPA for Queens ----  if >3.9, then consider MCAT rewrite to achieve +127 

A really good MCAT result could unlock UWO. A great CARs could help with MAC

Archived