Premed 101 Forums

Province pulls out of arbitration with Ontario Medical Association

3 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

The first half of that sentence doesn't sound too bad lol...nearly 300k CAD in take home pay as an employee who doesn't need to worry about overhead, perhaps with potential for growth as well...but of course its not that simple

A lot of US salaries look good to us because of the exchange rate haha. I think the number looks low considering I had undergrad friends take on 6 figure salaries in tech and now make significantly more than that FM income which is made worse considering the fact they didn't have to do years of advanced training. My friends in the business world that put in the same amount of effort and time into their craft as we do in medicine can also achieve those salaries as junior executives of a firm. That being said I don't want to disparage that statistic as it is still a great income compared to most people. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, NLengr said:

I expect NP numbers will increase more and more in rural areas at least. Very hard to get/keep family docs in those areas. 

Unfortunately, in my experience, the knowledge base of the average NP seems to be less than the knowledge base of the average family doc, at least for the referrals I get in my specialty. 

I don't think NPs are anywhere remotely close to the knowledge level of a well below average family doc. Not sure why we're comparing nurses with some additional courses to physicians. 

14 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

The first half of that sentence doesn't sound too bad lol...nearly 300k CAD in take home pay as an employee who doesn't need to worry about overhead, perhaps with potential for growth as well...but of course its not that simple

You can run up the billings here. Hard to do that down there to be honest. You won't have the patient volume at your disposal to bill the 600k+ some family docs do here. Urgent care seeing 80 pts a day? Not happening in USA with the volume of notes you need to do. Capitation? Uncommon and isn't paying what FHOs do. 

11 hours ago, medigeek said:

I don't think NPs are anywhere remotely close to the knowledge level of a well below average family doc. Not sure why we're comparing nurses with some additional courses to physicians. 

Unfortunately, the government wants them to be considered equivalent. The public sees them as equivalent, or in some cases superior.

Never ever think that government or the healthcare authorities care about quality of care. In every experience I have had, they don't care at all. It's all about re-election for politicians or making the jobs of bureaucrats or hospital admin easier. To the point where patient safety, outcomes and privacy takes a back seat.

It's very depressing if I actually sit down and think about it  

8 hours ago, NLengr said:

Never ever think that government or the healthcare authorities care about quality of care. In every experience I have had, they don't care at all. It's all about re-election for politicians or making the jobs of bureaucrats or hospital admin easier. To the point where patient safety, outcomes and privacy takes a back seat. 

And empire-building.  Don't forget that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived