Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
teriyakisauce

WGPA and the FCEs

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

New here. Just a quick question, what does lowest "3 FCE's" removed mean? Does it mean lowest 3 courses or lowest 6 courses?

I have 5 courses each semester,, which is full time 100 % course load. We also don't have anything called 'half credits'. 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok this is only confusing in special cases as some courses at some schools are worth more or less than a typical course. 

If you are taking 5 courses a term, 10 courses a year - and those are typical normal courses you can drop after 3 years of that (30 courses therefore in total, 10 each year) 6 normal courses. They don't have to be from any particular year or years - just your 6 worst courses. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

ok this is only confusing in special cases as some courses at some schools are worth more or less than a typical course. 

If you are taking 5 courses a term, 10 courses a year - and those are typical normal courses you can drop after 3 years of that (30 courses therefore in total, 10 each year) 6 normal courses. They don't have to be from any particular year or years - just your 6 worst courses. 

 

 

oh that's good news! Thank you for the prompt reply! I really appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question wonderful people,

I want to be eligible for removing 4 FCE's, which means I have to complete 4 years of school, 5 courses each semester. Does that mean, I have to apply after completing 4th year? 

Does applying in my 4th year only allows me to remove 3 FCE's since by that time I have only completed 3 years?

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, teriyakisauce said:

Another question wonderful people,

I want to be eligible for removing 4 FCE's, which means I have to complete 4 years of school, 5 courses each semester. Does that mean, I have to apply after completing 4th year? 

Does applying in my 4th year only allows me to remove 3 FCE's since by that time I have only completed 3 years?

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

1) To drop your 8 lowest courses ( 4 FCE assuming 0.5 credits each) you MUST have graduated and are either taking a gap year, 5th year, or enrolled in a masters. 

2) Applying in 4th year will allow you to remove your 6 lowest courses (3 FCE). 

Only those applying without taking full course loads, or, in third year will not have any courses removed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, medhopeful'17 said:

Just to clarifiy, if you have completed a second degree ( 6 years of undergrad completed) at full course load.... will 12 courses be dropped? 

I believe so, it says each year of full-time undergraduate education removes 2 of your lowest grades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, medhopeful'17 said:

Just to clarifiy, if you have completed a second degree ( 6 years of undergrad completed) at full course load.... will 12 courses be dropped? 

Yes, that is correct. On top of that, if there is a significant GPA difference from your 1st vs. 2nd degree (given that your 1st degree didn't meet GPA requirements), you can also write an academic explanation essay to request special consideration to use only your second degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Yes, that is correct. On top of that, if there is a significant GPA difference from your 1st vs. 2nd degree (given that your 1st degree didn't meet GPA requirements), you can also write an academic explanation essay to request special consideration to use only your second degree.

This is what I am confused about. I did not have a serious or unfortunate circumstance as to why my second degree has a higher GPA ( for the most part I was more mature and  my gpa was more consistent than in my first degree).  I do not know if this is appropriate to address in the academic explanations essay.  My first degree did meet the requirements, it just happens to be lower than my second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, medhopeful'17 said:

This is what I am confused about. I did not have a serious or unfortunate circumstance as to why my second degree has a higher GPA ( for the most part I was more mature and  my gpa was more consistent than in my first degree).  I do not know if this is appropriate to address in the academic explanations essay.  My first degree did meet the requirements, it just happens to be lower than my second. 

Well in this case, it's better to go with the assumption that you'll get a 6 FCE drop rather than a "2nd degree only review" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Hope all of you are staying warm in this crazy winter. I have another burning question about UofT.

I will be entering my 3rd year in Fall 2019. I may have to take one 2nd year course next year (although I will be in my 3rd year). Would this be ok or should I take it as an extra '6th course' alongside of 5 courses? I want to take five courses only including that one 2nd year course but if this is an issue, then I will just have to do 6 courses for that semester. 

just an fyi: 5 courses = 100% load

May be I am overthinking this. Let me know your feedback please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 9:27 PM, rmorelan said:

ok this is only confusing in special cases as some courses at some schools are worth more or less than a typical course. 

If you are taking 5 courses a term, 10 courses a year - and those are typical normal courses you can drop after 3 years of that (30 courses therefore in total, 10 each year) 6 normal courses. They don't have to be from any particular year or years - just your 6 worst courses. 

 

 

Hi,  sorry just another question. So, in my 4th year, I have 3 years under my belt with 30 courses in total; and 6 worst courses get removed.

So the scenario is: I have already applied and I am in my 4th year just finishing up the last year of my studies, will they look at my 4th year marks? they should only look at those 30 courses from the last 3 years, and not 4th year, right?

I am asking because I want to do my placement in my 4th year, and the placement is a Pass/fail courses. I am hoping they only look until 3rd year and remove 6 lowest courses from those 30, and not look at my 4th year marks. 

I am definitely overthinking this :O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teriyakisauce said:

Hey guys! Hope all of you are staying warm in this crazy winter. I have another burning question about UofT.

I will be entering my 3rd year in Fall 2019. I may have to take one 2nd year course next year (although I will be in my 3rd year). Would this be ok or should I take it as an extra '6th course' alongside of 5 courses? I want to take five courses only including that one 2nd year course but if this is an issue, then I will just have to do 6 courses for that semester. 

just an fyi: 5 courses = 100% load

May be I am overthinking this. Let me know your feedback please.

From their FAQ:

 

ACADEMICS: Can I take first or second year courses in my third or fourth year?

 

You are expected to complete studies that correspond with your current year.  For example, if you are applying for admission while registered in the third year of undergraduate studies, you should have at least three third-year or higher courses in your program. If you are in the fourth year of your program, you should be enrolled in a majority of courses at the third- and fourth-year levels.  Please note that this is an expectation rather than a requirement.  It is recognized that at times, students take courses in lower years for various reasons, such as a change in program or to complete subjects of interest or prerequisites that did not fit the academic schedule previously.  If you have information about your academics you feel is important for the Admissions Committee to know, you may explain your individual circumstances using the Academic Explanations Essay within the OMSAS application.

TLDR: You're safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teriyakisauce said:

Hi,  sorry just another question. So, in my 4th year, I have 3 years under my belt with 30 courses in total; and 6 worst courses get removed.

So the scenario is: I have already applied and I am in my 4th year just finishing up the last year of my studies, will they look at my 4th year marks? they should only look at those 30 courses from the last 3 years, and not 4th year, right?

 I am asking because I want to do my placement in my 4th year, and the placement is a Pass/fail courses. I am hoping they only look until 3rd year and remove 6 lowest courses from those 30, and not look at my 4th year marks. 

I am definitely overthinking this :O

I don't think they would have access to your 4th year marks throughout the admissions cycle. Transcripts have to reach OMSAS before the final marks for your 4th year fall courses even become available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lurker25 said:

I don't think they would have access to your 4th year marks throughout the admissions cycle. Transcripts have to reach OMSAS before the final marks for your 4th year fall courses even become available. 

Thank you lurker25  for both answers, I really appreciate it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lurker25 said:

I don't think they would have access to your 4th year marks throughout the admissions cycle. Transcripts have to reach OMSAS before the final marks for your 4th year fall courses even become available. 

true, but if @teriyakisauce has to apply a second time (ie after fourth year) because he/she does not get in on the first try, then those 4th year marks will be very important...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, teriyakisauce said:

ya, but then you get to remove 4 FCES; which is8 courses ;) 

unless some of your 4th year courses are pass/fail, which I think you said was your intention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...