Premed 101 Forums

Could someone recommend a book for me to read over my christmas break to help me soft prep for MMI's?

I think its fairly unlikely that I get an interview this year, but I was hoping to do a little "soft prep" over the holidays incase I get lucky and get an interview since I think I will be fairly busy leading up to the interview date. Because of this I was wondering if someone could recommend a little light reading I could do to help my get in the right frame of mind/expand my knowledge a little prior to maybe getting an interview invite.

Should I go for a specific healthcare related book? a MMI prep book? or just a book that gives some general information about the world such as "outliers" or "Freakonomics"?

On 12/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Occam said:

From what I've heard, a lot of people have recommended reading "Doing Right" 

Doing Right is actually pretty good. It gets you nice and grounded in the notion that 'it's all about the patient,' and is concurrently orientating with respect to medical language and procedure.  The issue with studying ethics is that it is often complex and involves dilemmas/ situations that do not admit of clear answers, the reason for which often involves incompatible premises etc. My point is that its rare to be able to approach ethics in a sort of "sit on the beach on vacation and chill while reading this enjoyable book" kind of way. It is usually frustrating and involves a lot of brain power and thinking outside of the box. Conversely, it is extremely rewarding and after having studied ethics heavily for four years I can say that, if anything, it has made me more respectful of other people's opinions and curious to hear what they have to say and the values that they hold. Studying ethics is ultimately a great way to entertain how people other than yourself think about really important things. 

I honestly don't know what you could do for light reading, but something I would suggest is listening to the White Coat; Black Art podcast--easy listening, super interesting. You can go through the titles and find ones you think would be related to ethics and then take a listen. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, Broken man said:

I think its fairly unlikely that I get an interview this year, but I was hoping to do a little "soft prep" over the holidays incase I get lucky and get an interview since I think I will be fairly busy leading up to the interview date. Because of this I was wondering if someone could recommend a little light reading I could do to help my get in the right frame of mind/expand my knowledge a little prior to maybe getting an interview invite.

Should I go for a specific healthcare related book? a MMI prep book? or just a book that gives some general information about the world such as "outliers" or "Freakonomics"?

I agree, doing right is a good resource. However, I highly recommend checking out YouTube, I found the scenarios and how they went about structuring their responses rather well. I used it and I found it useful. 

With that in mind, during the MMI, I kind of went on my way, I responded with how I genuinely felt. I have only used the available resources as guide. Also, I urge you to google MMI questions on google, there are many. Practice those with friends, family, pet, etc.. the idea is to formulate a coherent response that is ORGANIZED and well thought of. The best way to do that is by practicing.

last point, listen to BBC (the current) or similar programs, then practice the topics they are discussing. Many of the MMI stations will revolve around current affairs, and by being well versed with that, it will be beneficial on the interview. Also, nothing wrong with learning about the important topics and concerns in Canada.

good luck!

9 minutes ago, MedMan18 said:

I agree, doing right is a good resource. However, I highly recommend checking out YouTube, I found the scenarios and how they went about structuring their responses rather well. I used it and I found it useful. 

With that in mind, during the MMI, I kind of went on my way, I responded with how I genuinely felt. I have only used the available resources as guide. Also, I urge you to google MMI questions on google, there are many. Practice those with friends, family, pet, etc.. the idea is to formulate a coherent response that is ORGANIZED and well thought of. The best way to do that is by practicing.

last point, listen to BBC (the current) or similar programs, then practice the topics they are discussing. Many of the MMI stations will revolve around current affairs, and by being well versed with that, it will be beneficial on the interview. Also, nothing wrong with learning about the important topics and concerns in Canada.

good luck!

Any specific recommendations for youtube videos?

Archived