Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dont know what to do

Med school in US then coming to Canada

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

Since I would like to apply to Med schools in US and come back to Canada. I would like to know the procedure for the same. I have read quite a few stuff from these forums and elsewhere but it still seems too confusing to me due to so many possible situations. I would like to know the procudure in simple terms. More specifically the number of exams and time that it would take for me to start working in Canada.

Do the universities here actually give residencies to students who have studied MD in the US? 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dont know what to do said:

Hello everyone,

Since I would like to apply to Med schools in US and come back to Canada. I would like to know the procedure for the same. I have read quite a few stuff from these forums and elsewhere but it still seems too confusing to me due to so many possible situations. I would like to know the procudure in simple terms. More specifically the number of exams and time that it would take for me to start working in Canada.

Do the universities here actually give residencies to students who have studied MD in the US? 

Thanks.

US medical graduates enter the first round of CaRMS just like Canadians. The only disadvantages from what I understand would be: 1) you don't have a "home school advantage", 2) it is harder to get Canadian electives to demonstrate interest, and 3) US letters of reference are likely worth less because the writers are less known to the Canadian schools.

Still doable though and you can always stay in the US for residency and then come back once it's done to practice here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

US medical graduates enter the first round of CaRMS just like Canadians. The only disadvantages from what I understand would be: 1) you don't have a "home school advantage", 2) it is harder to get Canadian electives to demonstrate interest, and 3) US letters of reference are likely worth less because the writers are less known to the Canadian schools.

Still doable though and you can always stay in the US for residency and then come back once it's done to practice here.

I'm yet to be convinced even Canadian LORs are all that relevant outside of the super competitive and niche fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 4:35 PM, Monkey D. Luffy said:

US medical graduates enter the first round of CaRMS just like Canadians. The only disadvantages from what I understand would be: 1) you don't have a "home school advantage", 2) it is harder to get Canadian electives to demonstrate interest, and 3) US letters of reference are likely worth less because the writers are less known to the Canadian schools.

Still doable though and you can always stay in the US for residency and then come back once it's done to practice here.

Thanks for your points! Do you mind telling me how easy it is if we do residency in the US and then come back. Then does it work only with LORs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, #YOLO said:

not easy especially if u do im/or a subspec...canada is on the RCs dick

You will likely need to pass the Royal College exam (which, at least in my specialty, is harder than th US board) or get some kind if provisional license based on your US board qualifications (which is not easy to get, usually will force you to be in a unwanted job, and can be pulled at any time, leaving you at the mercy of your health board which you do not want).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told that it's wisest to train in the country you intend to practice in later since there'll be the least resistance. If you want to live and work in the US, do medical school and residency there. If you want to live and work in Canada, do medical school and residency here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 7:06 PM, JohnGrisham said:

I'm yet to be convinced even Canadian LORs are all that relevant outside of the super competitive and niche fields.

I think they are relevant even in general fields like IM, a weak reference letter can definitely affect the number of interviews you get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×