Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

21 hours ago, needsomebenzo said:

im so scared bichessssssss fml im such a neurotic mess rn cause of this admission i have so many pimples im breaking out my, ROOM is a MESS i cant

Sounds like you could benefit from some benzo therapy haha. Kidding aside, hang in there, there’s still two more rounds. Believe in yourself!

18 hours ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

It’s always been a looming thought in our minds. I’ve talked to many pharmacists in my couple years of volunteering and working and the general consensus is that we are getting more and more responsibilities with less and less pay. The market is becoming saturated as does almost every job. As the baby boomer population starts to retire we may see an increase in jobs and increase in demand/patient base. 

Additionally, the role of a pharmacist continues to change more and more and with it pharm techs will be replacing some clerical roles of a pharmacists. Depending on how this translates to our changing roles and demand and need for our position will continue to create unease. 

We will see with time how our role changes.

it does not seem that the future of pharmacist will be bright, the college of pharmacist should be more proactive and protect our interest. Of course, I am happy with the fact that pharmacist are getting more responsibilities, but why money does not come with those responsibilities. I mean, I agree that our first goal is to help our patients, but when you see the salary of Doctor especially family doctor vs pharmacist...it s pathetic. Of course, we don't want to be paid as physician, but we should be pay for what we do otherwise we don't want those responsibilities that only reduce only  hours to manage our business and affect also the quality of our service. the college of pharmacist should move its ass and try to protect our interest.

Haven't checked back to see what's going on this forum until today, but I received acceptance confirmation email on Wednesday. 

Stats (IP applicant from Macewan, Bio Sci student):

Two-year cumulative GPA was 3.74

Best 30-credit year GPA: 3.90

Prereq GPA: 3.60 (Organic Chemistry was a killer, and I messed up on my Calc prereq course but otherwise strong grades on this aspect)

Strong LOI (lots of healthcare related volunteering experience and I had a couple pharmacists/pharmacy students review my last essay) and interview, which I completed relatively early. 

See you all in September! 

yeah ok so um 

last two year gpa was 3.6 

pre req was literally 3.1 ew ( but micro, cell, and biochem were 3.7)

and i was working as a pharmacy assistant and did research regarding scope of practice for pharmacists. My letter of intent was super strong, thousands of hours in a pharmacy. community leadership volunteering, extracurricular included music so ya guys if y'all got a shitty gpa dont worry i got in. 

see ya hoes in septemberrr

Hey everyone, I received my offer yesterday as an IP applicant with 2 years in undergrad. 

My cumulative GPA was 3.7 (full course load) with a few months of pharmacy volunteering experience and a couple of other extracurricular activities. I felt that my LOI was decently strong but my interview was little shaky in the beginning due to my nerves but I ended it strong. 

Good luck to those still waiting! Can't wait to see everyone in the fall! 

Hey everybody! 

I got my acceptance this Wednesday as an OOP applicant from Ontario. 

My cGPA is 3.85 and I have a few months of pharmacy volunteering experience as well as tons of extracurricular activities. My LOI and interview were both strong, but I did kinda goof on one of the interview questions lol. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in the fall, and good luck to those still waiting :). 

On 6/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, needsomebenzo said:

yeah ok so um 

last two year gpa was 3.6 

pre req was literally 3.1 ew ( but micro, cell, and biochem were 3.7)

and i was working as a pharmacy assistant and did research regarding scope of practice for pharmacists. My letter of intent was super strong, thousands of hours in a pharmacy. community leadership volunteering, extracurricular included music so ya guys if y'all got a shitty gpa dont worry i got in. 

see ya hoes in septemberrr

I need your energy lmfao

On 6/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, UhhhhhhOkay said:

If your tuition is the same as ours (likely), it will be $12,555. Now that’s just tuition as there are other fees such as ACP membership (~$460), APSA membership ($440), as well as textbooks if you’d like (you don’t need them).

That plus the $1000 you will be spending at Tim Hortons :) .

Hope that helps!

Is the $12,555 per semester or per year?

11 hours ago, pharmaboy70 said:

Stats? IP or OOP? Congrats btw :)

Thanks! I didn’t have the strongest grades compared to everyone else on here with a 2 year cGPA of 3.68 and a pGPA of 3.3. However, I’ve been working as a pharmacy assistant while in school and I did research in my last semester of my degree which strengthened my application. I’m also IP from UofC.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:51 AM, MrMister said:

hello guys I want to know if is it true that the profession of pharmacist will die in few years, I see that many pharmacists come from outside of Canada (specially middle east and europe) , and it's easy for them to practice, it's not like Doctors that's is very tough) so that's cause a saturation, and the salary decrease ... like it's happening now in USA...plus, the gouvernement does not stop to cut in the salary of pharmacist owner...

what'S do you think?

There have already been cutbacks to pharmacists and to pharmacy owners from the government of Canada and past Alberta government. My Dad is a Pharmacist and Owner for over 30 years and the business is definitely changing but is still unpredictable in what could happen. As pharmacists begin to become more clinical pharmacists and do less dispensing (simply filling prescriptions and counting pills) their will be other ways for them to make money. At this point it isn't fully clear if Pharmacists will be able to make the same amount of money with these new roles or not, but in my opinion the profession is definitely changing for the better and will improve patient health care alot!

1 hour ago, LethyPharm said:

There have already been cutbacks to pharmacists and to pharmacy owners from the government of Canada and past Alberta government. My Dad is a Pharmacist and Owner for over 30 years and the business is definitely changing but is still unpredictable in what could happen. As pharmacists begin to become more clinical pharmacists and do less dispensing (simply filling prescriptions and counting pills) their will be other ways for them to make money. At this point it isn't fully clear if Pharmacists will be able to make the same amount of money with these new roles or not, but in my opinion the profession is definitely changing for the better and will improve patient health care alot!

the patient healthcare is VERY important of course, but if those new responsibilities do not comes with good remuneration. it's a loss for pharmacist in final. We don't want responsibility without money.. it works like that in any filed. responsibilities alone make the profession more stressful... and others profession like physician and nurse more relax..

Received my acceptance July 2nd. Should reply by the 10th.

cGPA of 3.66 for the last two years so not the greatest but I would say my LOI and interview were fairly solid. 

Both of my years were all full course loads as well if that helps anyone.

No real experience with working within a pharmacy but several years worth of working with children and teaching/coaching along with sports.

Does anyone also know the approximate amount of people that apply by chance?

13 minutes ago, Daria.Strel said:

cGPA of 3.66 for the last two years so not the greatest but I would say my LOI and interview were fairly solid. 

No real experience with working within a pharmacy but several years worth of working with children and teaching/coaching along with sports.

I think around 500-600 apply usually

1 hour ago, Daria.Strel said:

Congrats! Are you IP or OOP?