Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

Has anyone who got accepted already applied for the student loan? Does one need to be registered into courses before one can apply for the loan? I am not sure if i should start my loan application or wait till i get registered. If anybody knows, please clear it up for me. Thanks

21 minutes ago, Farmaboy said:

Has anyone who got accepted already applied for the student loan? Does one need to be registered into courses before one can apply for the loan? I am not sure if i should start my loan application or wait till i get registered. If anybody knows, please clear it up for me. Thanks

Apply now. For student aid Alberta, it fills up the tuition fees automatically for full course load. The application takes a month to process so now is a good time. At least for Alberta, not sure for OOP. 

4 hours ago, datbot98 said:

Hey! I just finished my first year in the program, and I can help clear some things for you. Assuming they don't change the structure of the course, you will have to register for INT D in both the Fall and Winter semester. It is a full year course technically, but the majority of the course work falls under the Winter term. As for the community service learning class... I'm not too sure what that is. As far as I know, we did not take such a course in our first year. The experiential learning course you are referring to is PHARM 354, and it is listed under Year 2. I'll just post this link for your reference! https://calendar.ualberta.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=19648 

Lastly, your orientation will take place over 2 days, from August 28-29. Classes will start on September 3rd I believe. 

Hopefully that helped answer some of your questions!

Wow! Thanks for your help!

I was on Bear Tracks browsing classes and I came across "PHARM 210: Foundations of Collaborative Practice" for the fall term. Since that's not listed on the webpage, I thought that maybe they just changed the name of the INT D course. Coincidentally, I can't find "INT D 410 Interprofessional Health Team Development" for either term. I didn't think too much of it though because Anjela mentioned that not all the classes are being displayed properly on Bear Tracks yet. I also can't find "PHARM 254 Community Service Learning" even though it is listed on the webpage. So I guess we have to just wait to find out  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So in total, was your first year composed of 11 courses (5 in the fall and 6 in the winter)?

11 hours ago, PharmDapp said:

Apply now. For student aid Alberta, it fills up the tuition fees automatically for full course load. The application takes a month to process so now is a good time. At least for Alberta, not sure for OOP. 

Great. Thank you for the advice. I was not sure if i had to be registered for classes before i could apply for the student loan. 

34 minutes ago, Breanna_panda19 said:

Do we have to declare a change of program through beartracks after admission? And to confirm, the faculty will auto-register first year students for the upcoming school year? do we do nada at this point and just wait for Anjela's email for class registration? 

yeah, i changed my program on beartracks. for class registration we can’t enroll until anjela gives us instructions, but she said we are allowed to place PHARM classes in the schedule builder just to see what it’s like. it’s not finalized yet.

5 hours ago, asimplepharmer said:

yeah, i changed my program on beartracks. for class registration we can’t enroll until anjela gives us instructions, but she said we are allowed to place PHARM classes in the schedule builder just to see what it’s like. it’s not finalized yet.

Just curious as to why/how we would need to change our program on beartracks? Anjela said nothing about that in her e-mail nor did it say to in the admission e-mail or letter. 

18 hours ago, pharmfam said:

Wow! Thanks for your help!

I was on Bear Tracks browsing classes and I came across "PHARM 210: Foundations of Collaborative Practice" for the fall term. Since that's not listed on the webpage, I thought that maybe they just changed the name of the INT D course. Coincidentally, I can't find "INT D 410 Interprofessional Health Team Development" for either term. I didn't think too much of it though because Anjela mentioned that not all the classes are being displayed properly on Bear Tracks yet. I also can't find "PHARM 254 Community Service Learning" even though it is listed on the webpage. So I guess we have to just wait to find out  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So in total, was your first year composed of 11 courses (5 in the fall and 6 in the winter)?

Yeah I'm not too sure if there were any changes made in regards to those courses. The faculty will send you a welcome letter, that has all the information regarding which courses you must register in. No need to stress about course selection right now.

For our first year, we had a total of 13 courses (6 in fall and 7 in winter). This is including INT D in each semester.

got my rejection last friday im an OOP application it was because my application was not competitive.. after seeing the difference in tuition between UBC and UofA kinda wish I tried a little harder with this application as I think everything I did for my UofA application was kind of so so but it is was it is. Congrats to all of you who got their acceptances and good luck to those waiting excited  to start this pharm journey with you guys in a different province tho haha good luck you guys and congrats once again!!!  

On 7/16/2019 at 12:43 PM, asimplepharmer said:

Why should we change program in bear tracks? Anjela said just wait till you get the official welcome letter.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:05 PM, khan786 said:

Anyone get wait listed? And as well, how long do you have until you have to accept their admission offer?

I got my offer on a Wednesday and had to pay the deposit and sign a form (I may be forgetting some stuff) by the following Friday, and I think most people had a similar time frame to accept. Just a little over a week. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 10:23 PM, PennyP said:

Thanks! I didn’t have the strongest grades compared to everyone else on here with a 2 year cGPA of 3.68 and a pGPA of 3.3. However, I’ve been working as a pharmacy assistant while in school and I did research in my last semester of my degree which strengthened my application. I’m also IP from UofC.

Hello, not sure if anyone still checks this forum but if you do I was just wondering how we would land a job as a pharmacy assistant? I have applied for a couple of months now but not much luck. :(

• 3 weeks later...