Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

9 hours ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Oh it was. I applied anyways preparing for the “I’m sorry to inform” letter. But it never came.

I spoke with Anjela (student services) before about applications and she did inform me of the two year criteria.

In other words, don’t let a bad year prevent you from applying next time if you don’t make it in!

Why do you think you got in but others with much higher GPAs didn't?

Also, when did you get accepted? 

24 minutes ago, InterinPharm said:

Why do you think you got in but others with much higher GPAs didn't?

Also, when did you get accepted? 

I believe I did very well on my interview and especially the letter of intent.

i got accepted 2nd round (of 4 rounds) on June 29th. I believe first rounds was June 19th or so. 

Can confirm that it is not all about GPA. The first time I applied, I had a GPA around 3.6, but my interview and LOI were really bad :( Last year, I really polished up my LOI. Although my interview was still bad, I got accepted quite early. Having a low GPA definitely doesn't disqualify you if you make up for it with your supplementary materials! 

1 minute ago, TiramisuGirl said:

Can confirm that it is not all about GPA. The first time I applied, I had a GPA around 3.6, but my interview and LOI were really bad :( Last year, I really polished up my LOI. Although my interview was still bad, I got accepted quite early. Having a low GPA definitely doesn't disqualify you if you make up for it with your supplementary materials! 

Lol are you in my class?

1 hour ago, TiramisuGirl said:

What round did you get accepted in? First?

On 5/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, InterinPharm said:

This is talking about cumulative GPA, right?

Also, why didn't you get in (was there a reason given in the rejection letter) on your first try?

The faculty did not give a concise reason, the letter I got said "after going through your application we regret to inform you that the admission committee could not grant you admission" Now here is the truth, I had a 3.88 in my first semester and a 3.45 in my second semester because of personal life issues. I believe was the reason I did not get in the first time because they need students who can do well in both the fall and winter semester. If that makes sense to you!

2 minutes ago, Boboeat said:

The faculty did not give a concise reason, the letter I got said "after going through your application we regret to inform you that the admission committee could not grant you admission" Now here is the truth, I had a 3.88 in my first semester and a 3.45 in my second semester because of personal life issues. I believe was the reason I did not get in the first time because they need students who can do well in both the fall and winter semester. If that makes sense to you!

Hey Boboeat, what were your stats the year you didn't get in? But lots of people get in with sub 3.5 GPA so your GPA in one term couldn't have been the sole reason you didn't get in. 

On 5/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Hello all,

I am from the Class of 2022 with some insight from previous members who held a role on the application board.

I know how reading all these posted high GPAs can scare lots of you. I just wanted to let you all know to not worry yourself if your GPA isn’t in the high 3.5 and up. GPA has become a significantly smaller factor when it come to your application. 

As an example, I applied with people with confirmed 3.9’s, where I had a much lower GPA. My friend unfortunately did not get accepted. 

From what I know is that your letter of intent and interview is vital to your success. If you tailored these things towards the changing landscape of pharmacy and hint “interprofessional” compatibilities, you may find yourself at a higher advantage.

Sorry for being late with this information but I hope it helps ease some worries. 

Remember, there is so much more to you than just a number. Who you are is what will determine your success in applications and the “much more fun” pharmacy school journey.

I hope to see you all next year!

Thank you, this is very helpful!

1 hour ago, InterinPharm said:

@Boboeat, @TiramisuGirl, @UhhhhhhOkay How did you get your acceptances...was it through the mail or through your beartracks? Also, did you have to submit your university transcripts yourself or did the U of A Registrar request your university transcripts for you?

We got acceptances through email first then mail afterwards.

As for transcripts I honestly do not remember going through a process to do so. Which could mean they requested transcripts from us. It would be best to check through student services to be 100% sure. Anjela (student services) is always up for questions like that!

On 5/24/2019 at 11:50 AM, Boboeat said:

Thanks for your reply. Just another question though: did you have a full course load (30 credits) when you applied on your first attempt? You still had a 3.67 best year GPA which should have been good, even if your 3.45 GPA semester dragged you down. People have gotten into the program with 3.3-3.4 cumulative GPAs...

Also, are you an out-of-province applicant? Looking at your stats on your successful second attempt, your GPAs are all very high (3.79-3.91 GPA) to be accepted so late in mid-July! I would've thought you would have been accepted much sooner in June. But there may be higher GPA requirements for out-of-province applicants. 

17 hours ago, InterinPharm said:

Thanks for your reply. Just another question though: did you have a full course load (30 credits) when you applied on your first attempt? You still had a 3.67 best year GPA which should have been good, even if your 3.45 GPA semester dragged you down. People have gotten into the program with 3.3-3.4 cumulative GPAs...

Also, are you an out-of-province applicant? Looking at your stats on your successful second attempt, your GPAs are all very high (3.79-3.91 GPA) to be accepted so late in mid-July! I would've thought you would have been accepted much sooner in June. But there may be higher GPA requirements for out-of-province applicants. 

Yeah, you are very correct, you will think I will get accepted sooner as in June, but unfortunately, this did not happen, the faculty has its selection criteria that we can't tell. I am an in-province applicant to conclude, but just to note that GPA is not the sole defining criteria for admission, letter of intent and interview are also a big factor. The faculty knows best!

On 5/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, InterinPharm said:

@Boboeat, @TiramisuGirl, @UhhhhhhOkay How did you get your acceptances...was it through the mail or through your beartracks? Also, did you have to submit your university transcripts yourself or did the U of A Registrar request your university transcripts for you?

I got my acceptance through my ualberta email! I'm IP, so apply alberta automatically sent my transcripts.

16 minutes ago, pastalover said:

Since no one has posted about it....

I thought I would ask if anyone has completed the interview and if they are willing to share their thoughts on it. Should I expect questions similar to the practice questions? I don't know what to expect because I don't know anyone else in a PharmD program or applying from my school... 

Is sharing the questions not allowed?:ph34r:

You haven't done your interview yet?? It's late 

Are you applying from out of province? 

1 hour ago, InterinPharm said:

I know that...interviews are due on June 3rd. 

But are you applying from outside or inside of the province, because your chances are better obviously IP

Yea I am IP! I'm just so nervous to do the interview. The practice questions are so random...:(

45 minutes ago, pastalover said:

Yea I am IP! I'm just so nervous to do the interview. The practice questions are so random...:(

Hello - don't worry too much about the questions. I stressed for a couple weeks, prepared all sorts of questions. The questions were definitely easier than I anticipated. Of course we can't share what they actually were, but if you know yourself you will do absolutely fine. 

Just try to come at it when you're rested, you're in a generally good mood - you will have nerves regardless. Remember to breathe and you'll do just fine!!! Good luck!!!

14 minutes ago, Sidney.loohoo said:

Hello - don't worry too much about the questions. I stressed for a couple weeks, prepared all sorts of questions. The questions were definitely easier than I anticipated. Of course we can't share what they actually were, but if you know yourself you will do absolutely fine. 

Just try to come at it when you're rested, you're in a generally good mood - you will have nerves regardless. Remember to breathe and you'll do just fine!!! Good luck!!!

Thank you for the encouragement!!!! I hope yours went well! I'm so glad to hear that you didn't find it too difficult. 

• 2 weeks later...