Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

On 7/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, Datgirl said:

Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out? 

I got a rejection letter on Friday. OOP applicant from Ontario with 3.5 GPA for last 2 years. Didn't do super great in Biology/Biochemistry courses so that was probably a red flag as well as my noncompetitive OOP GPA. Felt like my LOI was strong and have been working as a pharmacy assistant part-time for the last year. Interview was only so-so. My application says Not Competitive. 

Hi all,

For any students that will be moving to Edmonton from elsewhere (IP or OOP), what will you be doing for your living arrangements? Res or out of campus? 

Asking b/c I will be looking for a place out of campus to rent out, and possibly a roommate.

20 minutes ago, cvarti said:

Hi all,

For any students that will be moving to Edmonton from elsewhere (IP or OOP), what will you be doing for your living arrangements? Res or out of campus? 

Asking b/c I will be looking for a place out of campus to rent out, and possibly a roommate.

Hello,

I know of some potential living arrangements with some upper year pharmacy students. If you would like me to ask in your stead or pass along some contact information PM me please.

1 hour ago, pharmacygirl said:

I completed my degree at the University of Lethbridge in 2018. My overall was a 3.4 but my last 2 years was a 3.74. I think my interview was really good and I have 4 years of lab experience! 

Congrats! I am in Uleth too, first time seeing someone from Uleth confirm their acceptance here lol.

I would like to ask few questions:

1) Is BIOL3400 an acceptable course for micrb requirement? or did you took BIOL3400 from Uleth or you did it somewhere else? How difficult is BIOL3400(someone told me lab is a nightmare)? 

2) did you do a full course load for your last 2 years?

Thx

8 hours ago, nigelllll said:

Congrats! I am in Uleth too, first time seeing someone from Uleth confirm their acceptance here lol.

I would like to ask few questions:

1) Is BIOL3400 an acceptable course for micrb requirement? or did you took BIOL3400 from Uleth or you did it somewhere else? How difficult is BIOL3400(someone told me lab is a nightmare)? 

2) did you do a full course load for your last 2 years?

Thx

I took 3400 at the u of l and it counted as my microbiology requirement! The course is difficult, but it is manageable if you put the work in! The lab is the worst though lol

And all but my last semester were full course loads; I was finishing my pharmacy prerequisites and my minor so I only took 3 classes! 

7 hours ago, Breanna_panda19 said:

Is this the last round of admissions? and for those who got accepted recently, when is your response date??

I'm not sure about it being the last round... hopefully not as I'm sure there's lots of hopeful applicants out there still... and likely they would notify those on the waitlist?

I received my acceptance yesterday and was given until July 15 to accept.  Good luck to all those still waiting to hear - and I look forward to meeting those in the incoming class!

19 minutes ago, litty said:

Anyone's else beartracks still say "decision pending"? Getting really anxious waiting around for an answer :(

Mine does.  I spoke with Angela last week and she said they'd be rolling out acceptances likely to the end of July. Unsure of how true that is but that's what she said. Waiting suckkkss

4 hours ago, Breanna_panda19 said:

For anyone still waiting, don't lose hope! I just got my acceptance letter today. I'm an IP student from MacEwan, and I just finished my second year. 

If anyone's wondering my response date is July 18! So excited to meet you guys!

Can you share your stats please?

23 minutes ago, pharmacy2016 said:

Can you share your stats please?

My GPA isn't as high as everyone else here, but I do believe my LOI was strong (club leadership and other hobbies, and lots of pharmacy volunteer experience) and my interview was okay. Both my cGPA and pGPA were around 3.55 only. Took a full course load on those two years but my highest year was 33 credits (last year) with an end GPA of 3.6ish

Here is where I think the application process is at this point:

The vast majority of the 130 seats have been filled and the faculty is sending out emails on an irregular schedule until they nail down the last remaining few of seats. I say this because it seems like we have gone through several waves of admissions already and now people are reporting getting letters of acceptance in a more random and one-off fashion. Additionally, it was reported that students would be receiving an information email and be able to start enrolling in class in late July/early August, possibly hinting that the faculty believes that all the seats will be filled at that point in time. Total speculation, of course. Still, I think that it is safe to say that there are more seats taken than open at this point.

i got my acceptance on july 8!

stats:

IP applicant (UofA) after 2 years of science undergrad

cGPA: 3.5 for both years

pGPA: 3.4

no prior pharmacy experience. only healthcare-related experience is volunteering at the hospital, other extracurriculars were education/business-related.

i had a semi-strong interview?? i memed a little for sure

can’t wait to meet you guys in aug! :))