Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

Also for future applicants, I know in my previous post about my statistics i said i had a 3.1 as my prereqs grade. I Grossssly underestimated it because i totally didnt realize that taking higher level courses of the same class (for instance my first year chem was like B- but i got a A in chem 213, but got a B in chem313 they look at 213 grade not 313 )    they still look at the best grade. 

So actually my pre req grade was 3.7 and my cGPA was 3.67 

I know neurotically checking this forum kinda helped me stay sane (or sort of) best of luck to every one.

BUT ONCE AGAIN FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND ACCORDING TO ANJELA, PREREQS DONT EVEN MATTER UNLESS THEY'RE A PART OF YOUR LAST 60 CREDITS GPA 
IF you're applying after completing all the pre reqs say in first and second year and are applying for admission post third, fourth year  the only ones that matter are biochem, cell, and micro. 

20 hours ago, needsomebenzo said:

ok hoes listen up... im so excited to meet you guys :) we finna have a good time in pharmacy k? also does anyone know if we get a formal letter in the mail? cause i wanna put it on my parents' fridge.

Yo hoe, I don't know cuz, but im finna excited to see you in 'bout month and a half, dawg. :) :) :) 

42 minutes ago, Breanna_panda19 said:

For those who accepted their offer and have paid the deposit through online banking, did you guys get a notification or confirmation at all that your payment went through? 

Yea anjela emailed me to confirm that my deposit had been received!

Hello!

I just had a couple questions and wanted to see if anyone could help me out! I was wondering if any upper years could confirm the number of classes we have during first year! I am aware of the following webpage that lists all of them, but I wanted to know if it's still up-to-date/ if they're all mandatory (https://calendar.ualberta.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=19648). Also, do classes start right after the faculty orientation on Aug 28th? I'm from UofC and classes wouldn't start until after the undergraduate orientation week, which was held during the first week of September. I'm not sure if that's also a thing at UofA. 

Thanks to anyone who can help me out! I look forward to meeting you guys soon! (:

20 hours ago, pharmfam said:

Hello!

I just had a couple questions and wanted to see if anyone could help me out! I was wondering if any upper years could confirm the number of classes we have during first year! I am aware of the following webpage that lists all of them, but I wanted to know if it's still up-to-date/ if they're all mandatory (https://calendar.ualberta.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=19648). Also, do classes start right after the faculty orientation on Aug 28th? I'm from UofC and classes wouldn't start until after the undergraduate orientation week, which was held during the first week of September. I'm not sure if that's also a thing at UofA. 

Thanks to anyone who can help me out! I look forward to meeting you guys soon! (:

Hey! I'm not an upper year student but my friend who recently completed first year sent me her schedule from last fall and winter and it seems like she was taking all of those courses. So about 5-7 courses/semester (im not sure if the INT D course is both Fall and Winter). I guess thats why they emphasized taking a full course load so much in applicants. The community service learning class I believe is experiential learning we do in the spring semester. 

As for orientation I'm a little confused because our admissions letters say its August 28th but the University calendar says its the 29-30th: https://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=29&navoid=7441. If the Uni calendar is correct the Id assume we start classes in September. 

On 7/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, Datgirl said:

Did anyone have the confirmation deposit of $175 go under the summer term instead of the fall??

This happened to me also, but I emailed Anjela about it and she said my deposit has been received. I'd recommend you email her too if you're worried

1 hour ago, K.chn said:

Hey! I'm not an upper year student but my friend who recently completed first year sent me her schedule from last fall and winter and it seems like she was taking all of those courses. So about 5-7 courses/semester (im not sure if the INT D course is both Fall and Winter). I guess thats why they emphasized taking a full course load so much in applicants. The community service learning class I believe is experiential learning we do in the spring semester. 

As for orientation I'm a little confused because our admissions letters say its August 28th but the University calendar says its the 29-30th: https://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=29&navoid=7441. If the Uni calendar is correct the Id assume we start classes in September. 

Do you mind posting a screenshot of the schedule on the fb group 

1 hour ago, K.chn said:

Hey! I just finished my first year in the program, and I can help clear some things for you. Assuming they don't change the structure of the course, you will have to register for INT D in both the Fall and Winter semester. It is a full year course technically, but the majority of the course work falls under the Winter term. As for the community service learning class... I'm not too sure what that is. As far as I know, we did not take such a course in our first year. The experiential learning course you are referring to is PHARM 354, and it is listed under Year 2. I'll just post this link for your reference! https://calendar.ualberta.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=19648 

Lastly, your orientation will take place over 2 days, from August 28-29. Classes will start on September 3rd I believe. 

Hopefully that helped answer some of your questions!

24 minutes ago, datbot98 said:

Hey! I just finished my first year in the program, and I can help clear some things for you. Assuming they don't change the structure of the course, you will have to register for INT D in both the Fall and Winter semester. It is a full year course technically, but the majority of the course work falls under the Winter term. As for the community service learning class... I'm not too sure what that is. As far as I know, we did not take such a course in our first year. The experiential learning course you are referring to is PHARM 354, and it is listed under Year 2. I'll just post this link for your reference! https://calendar.ualberta.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=19648 

Lastly, your orientation will take place over 2 days, from August 28-29. Classes will start on September 3rd I believe. 

Hopefully that helped answer some of your questions!

Ohh thanks for clearing things up! I meant "Pharm 254 - community service learning" is that experiential learning, did you have to take that class?