Premed 101 Forums

UWO admissions selection process

On 1/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, HopefulDDS said:

What about before the interview? What would cause a seemingly competitive applicant to not get an interview?

Ah that's a lot more subjective. I'm not sure how exactly they rank applicants but ABS and personal statements def play a big role because my friend didn't even get an interview at Western yet ended up being accepted to McGill ...

1 hour ago, toothurty said:

Ah that's a lot more subjective. I'm not sure how exactly they rank applicants but ABS and personal statements def play a big role because my friend didn't even get an interview at Western yet ended up being accepted to McGill ...

Was her best 2 years and RC still competitive because I believe McGill looks at GPA differently and barely looks at the DAT if at all? If competitive, did she have any research or shadowing under her belt?

On 1/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, HopefulDDS said:

Was her best 2 years and RC still competitive because I believe McGill looks at GPA differently and barely looks at the DAT if at all? If competitive, did she have any research or shadowing under her belt?

I don't know dog but worrying about your application isn't going to change anything believe me. My advice for everyone applying out there, if you get in this year amazing, congratulations, if you don't - do what you can to improve your application and try again next year! There's people in my class in their late 20's / early 30's, people with 2 undergrads, people with masters, people who have written the DAT multiple times, interviewed multiple times etc. If dentistry is something you're passionate about it is definitely attainable. 

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GreedyGod said:

Hello guys,

Some fresh info on selection process. UWO uses PAT as a cutoff as well, same as RC.

Would that be a change for this year? Because the line about all parts (minus manual dexterity) of the DAT being used was there last year as well. I got a 17 for PAT and was invited to an interview last year so I doubt it was used as a cut-off. Or if it was, the cut-off must have been fairly low so I wouldn't see the point in having it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:24 AM, HopefulDDS said:

I'd like to start a thread that can be a one stop shop for western admissions knowledge. I'll write down what I've heard and welcome anyone who has additional info to add to my post.

Component breakdown in 2012 (Pre-ABS):
60% - GPA
15% - DAT 
25% - Interview
http://forums.premed101.com/topic/64946-canadian-dental-schools-recent-statistics-prereqs-charts/
(If anyone has a more up-to-date breakdown including ABS, please share)

Statistics
In regards to the DAT, in previous years western used RC as a cut off and looked at AA.
 -RC cutoff is typically 18 or 19 depending on applicant pool
        -last year's admitted average was 21 (22 the year before) (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/docs/AdmissionStatistics_Dentistry_Classof2022.pdf-)
-AA is the primary DAT score assessed
        -the last two year's admitted average was 21
-new line added to website: "All sections of the DAT may be considered in the selection process, with the exception of the Manual Dexterity section"
       -implies PAT will be incorporated into formula as this is the only section not previously assessed (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/dentistry/admission_requirements.html)
GPA is assessed based on two best years where the course years are reflective of the student's year of study. There is a penalty for reduced course load (degree of penalty not disclosed). Area of study is supposedly not taken into consideration (only completion of prerequisites as a B or higher). (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/dentistry/admission_requirements.html)
       -Last year's average admitted GPA was 88.46% (2 years ago was 89.16%)
       -Last year's range of admitted GPA was 83 -94% (2 years ago was 81-97%)

Calculating GPA to Percent:

Email from UWO says:
If transcripts show a letter and percentage grade we use the percentage grade.  If transcripts show only a letter grade then we convert the letter grades to a percentage using the OMSAS scale.  Please click on this link to the OMSAS conversion table
https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/ .  You would need to find which scale represents the university you took the course at and then find the letter grade you received in that scale.  We would then convert to the percentage that is the mid-point in the range listed in scale 3.  So yes, for Queen’s an A would be converted to an 87%.

To be added:
-If anyone has any information on their most recent breakdown including ABS and what they're looking for would be helpful (ie. is there an emphasis on shadowing, leadership, commitment, etc.)
-range of DAT scores accepted to better understand how low an aspect of one's application can be if compensated elsewhere
-how much preferential treatment do western undergrads receive

Hey! I applied for western this year, but I am confused about the 3/5 rule. I am taking a fifth year, which according to them can be used to fulfil the 2 years requirement if it meets the course load and level requirement. However, I am taking a minor in psychology in my fifth year so I have taken classes pertaining to the minor degree. This means that not all of my classes satisfy the third year or above as er my major, but will satisfy if the minor is looked at as a separate thing. Do you have any idea how this works?