Premed 101 Forums

Are canadian med students considered IMG when applying to the US??

8 minutes ago, surgeonwannabe said:

I'm thinking to apply to the US NRMP for a competitive surgical speciality as a back up I don't match to Canada.  I was wondering if I would be considered an IMG when applying to the US?

Thank you!!

CMGs are not considered to be IMGs for the US NRMP.

"Definition of International Medical Graduate (IMG)

An international medical graduate (IMG) is a physician who received a basic medical degree or qualification from a medical school located outside the United States and Canada. The location of the medical school, not the citizenship of the physician, determines whether the graduate is an IMG. Thus, individuals who are U.S. citizens when they graduate from an international medical school are U.S. IMGs, and individuals who are not U.S. citizens at the time of medical school graduation are non-U.S. IMGs even if they later become U.S. citizens. Non-U.S. citizens who graduate from medical schools in the United States and Canada are not IMGs."

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf 

5 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Also, i'm pretty sure the Ophthomology match (Called the SanFrancisco Match) happens before Canada. So you wouldn't be able to back up with it for Canada. 

SF Match happens early January (since you then need to secure your PGY-1 spot through NRMP separately). Before CaRMS interviews even start.

Archived