Premed 101 Forums
surgeonwannabe

Do Canadian med students applying to US residency have to finish both USMLE step 1 and 2?

1 minute ago, randomperson said:

You have to have Step 1 when you apply. You need to pass Step 2 CK and CS before rank lists are due, in order to be ranked by programs. Hope that helps!

Odds of getting an interview, especially as a non-US student, are way lower without step 2. I'm sure a good number of family med and some internal med programs will invite high step 1 scorers but most places want to see step 2 pre-invite.  

If you don't have step 3 done you can still match, you just go on a J1 visa. Only thing about J1 is you need to come back to Canada for 2 years after residency, or you can try to get a waiver but it means you need to do a RoS for 2 years i believe.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, medigeek said:

Odds of getting an interview, especially as a non-US student, are way lower without step 2. I'm sure a good number of family med and some internal med programs will invite high step 1 scorers but most places want to see step 2 pre-invite.  

That's a good point! Some specialties take Step 2 into consideration more than others. ie. internal med will definitely want to see a step 2 score while alot of surgical specialties don't care.