Premed 101 Forums

Value of personal statements (carms apps) & typos, importance ??

Anyone have any insight into the value of personal statements for carms apps? I'd imagine they're important in smaller fields but what about bigger fields like IM or FM? 

And, how bad are one off typos? I'd imagine they affect the score for that specific component of the app but unlikely to have an overall effect? 

2 hours ago, medigeek said:

Anyone have any insight into the value of personal statements for carms apps? I'd imagine they're important in smaller fields but what about bigger fields like IM or FM? 

And, how bad are one off typos? I'd imagine they affect the score for that specific component of the app but unlikely to have an overall effect? 

This is my opinion based on being an application reviewer for PhD programs:

With regards to the effect of typos, hardly any if it's the type of everyday honest typo that we all make. If it really changes the meaning of a sentence into something strange, or there is enough typos to call into question your command of the English language, then it might have an impact. Otherwise I would not worry at all.

It depends on the program and reviewer. I don't know if there tends to be great variation in the content that people write, outside of their particular backgrounds. You'd want to avoid any statements leading to a raised eyebrow, of course.

Similarly, the impact of a typo would depend on who is reading it. Some people might not even notice it, or if they do it, brush it off as insignificant. Others might hold the view if that this program was really a top pick, you would place importance on submitting the best application you could, and proofread it carefully before submitting.

It might be helpful to assume that whoever reads your personal statement has no other information about you. Is your personal statement compelling enough that someone would want to interview you based on that alone? If the answer is yes, then that's a good start regardless of what you're applying to. 

The Personal Letter is your opportunity to market yourself to the Reader, to demonstrate why with your background, this field is a natural and good fit for you to join their program and team. Furthermore, you are able to set forth why you are attracted to their particular program, what their program has on offer from your viewpoint, thereby showing your knowledge about their program compared to others, why you want it and you have an opportunity to state why you fell you are a good fit. You are able to discuss your background going way back to your youth, how you developed to become the person you are, what your qualities and competencies are that set you apart. At least, that is what I did, and I tailored my Letters to each different program to which I was applying. The Letter is an important part of the Application process in my view, and can set you apart before the Interview. You really want to avoid typos as it can have the effect of potentially demonstrating you are not precise nor professional. If I were to read a Letter with more than one typo, I would say to myself, how could the applicant let this happen? It would not create a good, positive first impression.

4 hours ago, IMislove said:

Like what exactly? 

oh the list of things that would apply to

referring to things you like about a program/school, which aren't actually offered at that program

having a personal statement clearly geared towards another field. Or another school. Or another school and another field at that school.

saying you are god's gift to the field.So much so that the program would be elevated unheard of heights with simply your appearance. (you know I just don't believe you....)

gross spelling and grammar errors - to the point that clearly you don't care or check nothing. As in you have never heard of a spell checker.

explaining why they did poorly in classes that are pass fail that they barely passed - as in I had no idea you sucked academically in the field you are applying to, and you go into great detail to tell me about it (bonus negative points if the reason involves alcohol). 

Telling me that you only want to apply to the program for some personal reason I would otherwise care nothing about. Make me think you want my program/field for some other reason than you just happen to be stuck in the city even if you really would love to leave (which might be true - but I don't need to hear about it. Programs want to think people want to be in their program). 

telling me that you know no one reads personal statements.....while I am in fact reading your personal statement.....and thus how pointless they are......

and more.....  

The things I have read and just wondered what the hell were you thinking, and I cannot trust you with this, then how can I possible trust you with holding someone's life in their hands. At least be bothered to play the game. 

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

The Personal Letter is your opportunity to market yourself to the Reader, to demonstrate why with your background, this field is a natural and good fit for you to join their program and team. Furthermore, you are able to set forth why you are attracted to their particular program, what their program has on offer from your viewpoint, thereby showing your knowledge about their program compared to others, why you want it and you have an opportunity to state why you fell you are a good fit. You are able to discuss your background going way back to your youth, how you developed to become the person you are, what your qualities and competencies are that set you apart. At least, that is what I did, and I tailored my Letters to each different program to which I was applying. The Letter is an important part of the Application process in my view, and can set you apart before the Interview. You really want to avoid typos as it can have the effect of potentially demonstrating you are not precise nor professional. If I were to read a Letter with more than one typo, I would say to myself, how could the applicant let this happen? It would not create a good, positive first impression.

Thing is, this is a french typo for an english program that likes having a part of the PS written in french. 

3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

oh the list of things that would apply to

referring to things you like about a program/school, which aren't actually offered at that program

having a personal statement clearly geared towards another field. Or another school. Or another school and another field at that school.

saying you are god's gift to the field.So much so that the program would be elevated unheard of heights with simply your appearance. (you know I just don't believe you....)

gross spelling and grammar errors - to the point that clearly you don't care or check nothing. As in you have never heard of a spell checker.

explaining why they did poorly in classes that are pass fail that they barely passed - as in I had no idea you sucked academically in the field you are applying to, and you go into great detail to tell me about it (bonus negative points if the reason involves alcohol). 

Telling me that you only want to apply to the program for some personal reason I would otherwise care nothing about. Make me think you want my program/field for some other reason than you just happen to be stuck in the city even if you really would love to leave (which might be true - but I don't need to hear about it. Programs want to think people want to be in their program). 

telling me that you know no one reads personal statements.....while I am in fact reading your personal statement.....and thus how pointless they are......

and more.....  

The things I have read and just wondered what the hell were you thinking, and I cannot trust you with this, then how can I possible trust you with holding someone's life in their hands. At least be bothered to play the game. 

What I wonder is if you're giving individual scores for different components or just a general overall impression/score?

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, Lactic Folly said:

Yes, agree, I forgot to mention that a strong personal letter should include some specific reasons as to why the program/location is a good fit for you. This can help set applicants apart when a program is trying to decide among candidates they have no prior knowledge of.

And in my case, my competition were all gunners who had considerably more experience than I, a relative novice, for this competitive surgical position. My LORs were excellent, I was a known quantity, but my Letter was meant to set me apart from the gunners. I got the interview, interviewed well and the rest is history. My Letter was one aspect that set the stage particularly for 4 of the 6 Panel Interviewers who did not know me.

Archived