Premed 101 Forums

Second degree 4.0gpa, first degree 2.6, worth applying?

I was hoping to see if anyone had been in a similar place or knew if I had a chance before I waste my time applying to Calgary without evoking the 10 year rule (got a few years to go).

Basically, my first degree was horrible, I have so many withdrawals that I only ended up with 2 full-time years I can use, the best year being a 2.6gpa.

Fast forward a few years, worked in my degree field and decided to pursue a second degree, currently have one year finished with a 4.0gpa bringing my gpa up to a 3.29, if I finish this second year with a 4.0gpa, it will bring me up to a 3.43gpa.

Considering my cGpa is still very low with a 3.43gpa, is there any hope for U of C? I know I have a better chance at Western once I finish my second degree since they will not count my first one. Could a high mcat and great ECs overcome the first degree? Or should I forget about Calgary?

Just now, njiki543 said:

I was hoping to see if anyone had been in a similar place or knew if I had a chance before I waste my time applying to Calgary without evoking the 10 year rule (got a few years to go).

Basically, my first degree was horrible, I have so many withdrawals that I only ended up with 2 full-time years I can use, the best year being a 2.6gpa.

Fast forward a few years, worked in my degree field and decided to pursue a second degree, currently have one year finished with a 4.0gpa bringing my gpa up to a 3.29, if I finish this second year with a 4.0gpa, it will bring me up to a 3.43gpa.

Considering my cGpa is still very low with a 3.43gpa, is there any hope for U of C? I know I have a better chance at Western once I finish my second degree since they will not count my first one. Could a high mcat and great ECs overcome the first degree? Or should I forget about Calgary?

If you have the money for the application fee you might as well take a shot. U of C is known to be more non trad friendly and according to the admissions stats there were a few people with your GPA who were accepted. Just be realistic and don't have really high expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived