Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
maybeoneday

4th year U of T student low GPA, wants to go into med, unsure about best course of action?

Hey all this is my first post ever so I'm sorry    

Stats: annual / cGPA

1st year: 2.73 / 2.73 (1 semester with 4 courses)

2nd year: 3.08 / 2.91 (1 semester with 4 courses)

3rd year: 3.79/ 3.21 (1 semester with 4 courses)

currently in 4th year and I'm estimating 3.8+/ cGPA3.35~

2 years of research, volunteer and community stuff 

Option 1: take a fifth year of easy-ish courses to boost my GPA --> even if i get straight As prolly won't be competitive enough for canada ~3.47

Option 2: take a fifth year --> fulfill 1 year of physics and 1 year or gen/orgo chemistry for US med school (the problem with this is I go to U of T... it's nearly impossible to do well in these courses)

Option 3: graduate this summer with ~3.35 --> take the 2 physics and chem courses to fulfill US med schools as a non-degree student at u of t or another university 

Option 4: graduate this summer --> take the US prerequisites online while completing a masters OR graduate after the fifth year  and then take the US prereqs while completing a masters.

A combination of unfortunately going to UofT, some poor studying, and probably some back luck.  Queen's is your best bet without a 5th year (when Western could also give you a shot)...but of course...you'll need stellar MCATs and ECs.

Good luck.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:48 PM, uwopremed said:

A combination of unfortunately going to UofT, some poor studying, and probably some back luck.  Queen's is your best bet without a 5th year (when Western could also give you a shot)...but of course...you'll need stellar MCATs and ECs.

Good luck.

so should i not do the 5th year? I believe western requires 5 classes/semester to consider your last 2 years. Right?

A 5th year could open up Queens and UWO. 

Correct -- you would need the 5th year to open up UWO.  You need 2 years of full course load.  Watch for minimum course level requirements at UWO --  Your 5th year cannot be all 1st/2nd year courses.  Read info on UWO special year

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/medicine/frequently_asked_questions.html

You also need to write the MCAT this summer if you have not yet. Results may gate where you can apply and may help determine your 5th year need.

Masters wont help much for Canadian Med applications.  You need to boost the undergrad GPA.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, Meridian said:

A 5th year could open up Queens and UWO. 

Correct -- you would need the 5th year to open up UWO.  You need 2 years of full course load.  Watch for minimum course level requirements at UWO --  Your 5th year cannot be all 1st/2nd year courses.  Read info on UWO special year

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/medicine/frequently_asked_questions.html

You also need to write the MCAT this summer if you have not yet. Results may gate where you can apply and may help determine your 5th year need.

Masters wont help much for Canadian Med applications.  You need to boost the undergrad GPA.

thank you for the helpful info. What about McMaster? as an OOP (I'm from sask)