Premed 101 Forums

FM Interview Social Attire

Trying to plan ahead for the upcoming crazy few weeks. In the stress of everything else going on, the last thing I want is to be the only one over/under-dressed at the social events. What do people wear to family medicine interview socials? Is this interview-style outfit, business casual or jeans/casual wear type of thing? 

While I heard that they tend to be more informal compared to the rest of medicine too; that was definitely not my experience when I interviewed for family med last year. When I interviewed, almost everyone wore a suit and tie (for men) or formal wear for women. There were a couple of people who were more casual, but for the vast majority of people >95% were dressed formally. I would not recommend dressing casually to the interview, YOU WILL STAND OUT

For the social, I wore dark pants and a cardigan. It would be okay to wear jeans for the social too and some people did, which was fine. I prefer dressing a little more formal and so stuck with dark pants (or dark wash jeans). Definitely try to go to the queens family med social if you get an interview there. It was amazing!

On 12/29/2018 at 3:03 PM, skyuppercutt said:

While I heard that they tend to be more informal compared to the rest of medicine too; that was definitely not my experience when I interviewed for family med last year. When I interviewed, almost everyone wore a suit and tie (for men) or formal wear for women. There were a couple of people who were more casual, but for the vast majority of people >95% were dressed formally. I would not recommend dressing casually to the interview, YOU WILL STAND OUT

For the social, I wore dark pants and a cardigan. It would be okay to wear jeans for the social too and some people did, which was fine. I prefer dressing a little more formal and so stuck with dark pants (or dark wash jeans). Definitely try to go to the queens family med social if you get an interview there. It was amazing!

Definitely dress up formally. Almost everyone showed up in suits and ties, or formal wear for women. 

For social, it really doesn't matter, as the selection has already been made. FM is such a a large program, the residents couldn't care less if you show up in Versace shirt or old-torn jeans. 

Archived