Premed 101 Forums

ON changes CaRMS second round for IMG/CMG

4 minutes ago, shematoma said:

This would be a totally logical thing to do but probably politically very difficult. We can't even get all the provinces to act in unison in eliminating the CMG/IMG streaming in the second iteration. How would we get them to reallocate 1/2 of the IMG spots? Any one province choosing to do this would get a lot of flack from IMGs (and their wealthy families), and unless every other province followed, the one province would be flooded with additional CMG applicants from across the country, and in the end might not benefit their own provinces' students. The political payoff to the provincial government is therefore questionable.

What WOULD make a difference is if schools started allocating in-province and out of province residency spots, just like they do for medical school seats. It's never made sense why provinces don't do this, since they make such a big deal of reserving medical school spots for in province residents - why bother if you're only going to lose them in residency because they can't match to your own province? That would benefit provinces like AB that have a relative abundance of residency spots and put pressure on ON which has a chronic deficit of residency spots.

Interesting thought, but no. IMGs spend a lot of money on exams and certifications but ALL that money gets absorbed by the organizations doing those exams and certifications, such as the Medical Council of Canada. To think that the fees IMGs pay go into the residency system is to misunderstand how bureaucracy works. Money has a way of getting stuck and pilfered where it lands in bureaucracies. Any fees paid to CaRMS stay with CaRMS, for example, and go to run their "operational costs."

Not sure I like the idea of in province and out of province residency spots. When will we ever get a chance to move around anymore? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Edict said:

Not sure I like the idea of in province and out of province residency spots. When will we ever get a chance to move around anymore? 

I agree. Honestly move the 1/2 IMG-designated spots over to CMG. Fine, keep them as ROS, at least you don't get a plethora of unmatched CMG and snowballing across cycles. 

2 hours ago, la marzocco said:

I agree. Honestly move the 1/2 IMG-designated spots over to CMG. Fine, keep them as ROS, at least you don't get a plethora of unmatched CMG and snowballing across cycles. 

My point is that this isn't happening due to political reasons. You need all the provinces to act together or there's no payoff to doing it as no one province alone can solve the unmatched CMG problem and would get no political payoff unless they also restrict OOP applicants.

Archived