Premed 101 Forums

Need advice: Very Low first and second year, High 3rd year

YChowdhury98

I know this question is asked by countless members on this forum, but I am currently in a rut. I am currently a U of Saskatchewan student (Canadian) and would like advice regarding premed as I am currently dealing with a low gpa for my first and second years of my degree.

My gpa calculations are as followed (OMSAS)

• 1st and 2nd year: 3.00 gpa (73 and 72) (1 semester with 4 courses)
  • 3rd year: 3.9 (86)
  • First semester of 4th year: 3.7 (84.2)

If I finish with a 86 overall in my fourth year, I calculate that I will still only have a 78 percent which is too low to be competitive in Canadian med schools. 

At this point, I don't know what would be the best thing to do as I am almost done my degree

I hope to do the mcat during the summer of 2019

I have been doing volunteering at a student run clinic, but am searching for other opportunities to volunteer in. (any advice on what I ec's I should do would be appreciated!)

Thank you guys in advance and do let me know if I need to clarify!

First make sure you are calculating GPA correctly.   You convert % of each course to GPA and then average the GPA's.  Do it for each year.

Many schools have weighted wGPA approaches using best 2 or last  2 years as example.  Check out Queens, UWO, U of T and see how your GPA looks fdor each school.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, YChowdhury98 said:

I know this question is asked by countless members on this forum, but I am currently in a rut. I am currently a U of Saskatchewan student (Canadian) and would like advice regarding premed as I am currently dealing with a low gpa for my first and second years of my degree.

My gpa calculations are as followed (OMSAS)

• 1st and 2nd year: 3.00 gpa (73 and 72) (1 semester with 4 courses)
  • 3rd year: 3.9 (86)
  • First semester of 4th year: 3.7 (84.2)

If I finish with a 86 overall in my fourth year, I calculate that I will still only have a 78 percent which is too low to be competitive in Canadian med schools. 

At this point, I don't know what would be the best thing to do as I am almost done my degree

I hope to do the mcat during the summer of 2019

I have been doing volunteering at a student run clinic, but am searching for other opportunities to volunteer in. (any advice on what I ec's I should do would be appreciated!)

Thank you guys in advance and do let me know if I need to clarify!

Something I learned is is that it’s not directly off your average I thought I had a 3.3 and a 3.9 but with omsas you have to get the gpa of each individual mark and average it; that is your true gpa so the percentage average is not your gpa average 

Archived