Premed 101 Forums

What to wear to interview (women)?

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to wear to my UBC MMI interview.

(I've already interviewed once), and I noticed many people wearing black/blue/grey. Are "other" colors like burgundy, dark purple, taupe, etc appropriate? Would less-traditional colors distract the interviewer from my answers, or will it help me stand out?

Would love to hear your guys' opinions.

With interview clothing I think at best it is a non-distraction and at worst it stands out for unfavourable reasons.

Your choice of wardrobe isn't going to really affect your interview score in a significant manner and would be difficult to quantify.

Personally I think wearing something other than the traditional black/navy/charcoal is fine, as long as it is in good taste, and you don't pair it with any other prints/patterns that would be over-the-top. 

A nice burgundy wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd probably leave the taupe or dark purple to other occasions. 

As long as you're still professional, I think the best fit is something you're comfortable being yourself in. If you usually don't like to bring attention to yourself, how confident will you be when you feel like you stand out? On the other hand, some people will feel totally natural in a colored dress and you can tell that it complements their personality. 

If you're having doubts about whether you can pull it off, stay conservative. If you're just checking whether it's appropriate to wear that color you're dying to wear, go for it. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:28 PM, Eudaimonia said:

As long as you're still professional, I think the best fit is something you're comfortable being yourself in. If you usually don't like to bring attention to yourself, how confident will you be when you feel like you stand out? On the other hand, some people will feel totally natural in a colored dress and you can tell that it complements their personality. 

If you're having doubts about whether you can pull it off, stay conservative. If you're just checking whether it's appropriate to wear that color you're dying to wear, go for it. 

My profession is crime fighting. I'm wearing my superman suit but not sure if I can pull it off b/c I got hella fat over Christmas. wut u think

sm.jpg

Wear what you think is most comfortable, but also professional. 

For my interview, a couple people told me my suit was too fitted and my cropped dress pants were too “New York Fashion Week”.

I wore it anyway, and honestly I’m glad I did. My outfit made me feel powerful and I strutted down the hallway to my next station. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wore cropped pants and a light green blouse with no blazer and managed just fine (i.e. I got in!). Talked to other females in my class who wore sweaters, blazers, and dresses, and everyone agreed that as long as you looked professional it really didn't matter. 

Wear whatever makes you comfortable - if you're uncomfortable in your clothes it will just make you less comfortable in your interview. As long as you don't look completely out of place (spaghetti straps or a deep-V with extra cleavage maybe) I can't see your outfit making any difference to your interview score. Do what feels right and you'll be fine

I wore a patterned skirt suit. I was the only one in a patterned suit, but it was a fairly traditional black and white pattern with a classic cut. I felt amazing and enjoyed not looking like a cookie cutter (and got in). However, some people might have felt uncomfortable standing out. Just wear what you feel great in and make sure it’s professional, but do some self reflection and make sure your confidence won’t be shaken if you are the only one not in solid navy/black.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, onesieluv said:

What do ladies typically do with their hair? I suck at buns and I want my hair out of my face (i.e. not down, because I'll be touching it).  Is doing a simple half-up hairdo OK? What do most women do with their hair for their med interviews? Thank you!

Half up is fine! I had mine either down or in a ponytail. Honestly just be comfortable

Archived