Premed 101 Forums

Cool thanks!

You can start by going through Canadian  schools websites to determine how they calculate GPA, then through this forum to see what GPAs people were offered interviews with.

You can then do the same with the MCAT.

Its easier to come back to Canada if you go to a USMD school so you can use this forum or SDN to determine which schools are Canadian friendly.

Then you should probably ask yourself if you can get your grades up to achieve whatever is required for acceptance, and whether you believe you can score well on the MCAT.

You need to consistently raise your GPA.  Work really hard 2nd half of year 2 and see if you are capable of a +3.85 GPA.  If successful, then plan how you an do it in year 3 and year 4.  Some Canadian schools look only at your last 2 year, or best 2 year, GPAs.

You need to plan and study hard for the MCAT.  If you can allocate study time April-July this year see how you do on practice exams and then decide if you should write later in summer.  Also have the option to wait until following summer of practice does not go well.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:53 PM, Jfourn said:

You can start by going through Canadian  schools websites to determine how they calculate GPA, then through this forum to see what GPAs people were offered interviews with.

You can then do the same with the MCAT.

Its easier to come back to Canada if you go to a USMD school so you can use this forum or SDN to determine which schools are Canadian friendly.

Then you should probably ask yourself if you can get your grades up to achieve whatever is required for acceptance, and whether you believe you can score well on the MCAT.

Thank you! 

I am seeing how I do this semester, and being honest with myself. And if I do well I am going to take the MCAT this summer. 

If I don’t then I’ll see how I do next year and if I continuously do bad then I won’t. I do have an upwards trend each semester like my second semester of first year was a 3.8 but that first semester brought me all the way down for overall GPA. 

And honestly I wouldn’t be concerned with returning to Canada. I do not mind practicing in the states or Australia; it’s more about the costs for me. 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Meridian said:

You need to consistently raise your GPA.  Work really hard 2nd half of year 2 and see if you are capable of a +3.85 GPA.  If successful, then plan how you an do it in year 3 and year 4.  Some Canadian schools look only at your last 2 year, or best 2 year, GPAs.

You need to plan and study hard for the MCAT.  If you can allocate study time April-July this year see how you do on practice exams and then decide if you should write later in summer.  Also have the option to wait until following summer of practice does not go well.

Thank you very much. I am aiming for a 4.0 this semester but I am in a program that forces you to take known difficult courses so I’ll be taking things like orgo II and what not, I’m going to work really hard and play it by that. That’s why I’m upset with myself for doing so bad first year as I could have obtained a higher GPA if I just worked harder first semester and didn’t let the transition of HS to university affect me like it did.

Really appreciate the advice! 

Archived