Premed 101 Forums

Inquiries on neurology

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to find out what the latest updates are on the job demand as well as salary in neurology in Canada. From brief glances at previous reports, they say the job demand is "good" and the salary hovers around 250-300k before overhead. However, when I explored neurology positions in Canada, did not receive the impression that there were as many job openings as I would have hoped.

I'm aware that family medicine is highly variable, but in general their job demand was perceived to be "very good" and salary hovering around 200k before overhead. In comparison, neurology seems to have a slightly higher salary but at the cost of more work hours and longer residency program, and less job availability than fam med - is this somewhat agreeable? As well, there are way more family med positions in Canada it seems.

Would really appreciate input from people in the field or those who have spoken with people in the field re: the above.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, waterpass said:

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to find out what the latest updates are on the job demand as well as salary in neurology in Canada. From brief glances at previous reports, they say the job demand is "good" and the salary hovers around 250-300k before overhead. However, when I explored neurology positions in Canada, did not receive the impression that there were as many job openings as I would have hoped.

I'm aware that family medicine is highly variable, but in general their job demand was perceived to be "very good" and salary hovering around 200k before overhead. In comparison, neurology seems to have a slightly higher salary but at the cost of more work hours and longer residency program, and less job availability than fam med - is this somewhat agreeable? As well, there are way more family med positions in Canada it seems.

Would really appreciate input from people in the field or those who have spoken with people in the field re: the above.

Thank you!

I think your summary is pretty good. The difference in income is smaller, lots of family doctors who work full time manage to pull an income closer to many medical specialties.

The benefit to neurology is that you have the freedom to go and set up your own clinic pretty much anywhere, much like family. The only real restriction in the job market is in hospitals.

Archived