McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time Stamp: 1:10PM EST
Invite/Reject: Invite !!! 

GPA: 3.93 (OMSAS)
CARS: 127
Casper: I was so nervous about this! But I’m a super fast typer and I answered everything. That must’ve helped with my CARS.
Geography: IP, 3rd year UG

Congrats guys!! I don’t expect this at all. For everyone who didn’t get one, I’m sending you lots of love and hope! 

Time Stamp: 10:07AM PST
Invite/Reject: Invite!

GPA: 3.96
CARS: 130
Casper: Lots of prep
Geography: OOP

I applied last year with a 3.94 GPA and the same CARS and didn't get an interview. I also took the conventional advice of not preparing for the CASPer last year, which worked out poorly. This year I took it much more seriously and practiced with a prep company, which helped a lot. 

Edit: PM me for information about practice materials

Time Stamp: 1:51 PM EST
Invite/Reject: Rejection

GPA: 3.79 
CARS: 128
Casper: Lots of prep (read Doing Right, utilized as many free practice materials as possible, and have done 3 actual caspers in the past with one successful one for another program), I felt strong about it after the fact.
Geography: IP

Really disappointing decision from Mac. They complain about the issue of poor medical graduate retention in Hamilton and I am a local native committed to practising in this city. Missed opportunity really. 

Time Stamp: 1:06 pm
Invite/Reject: Invite !!

GPA: 3.86
CARS: 129
Casper: Felt pretty good about all of the scenarios but was definitely cut off on a few of them because of time, and down to the wire on all the other ones LOL

Time Stamp: 1:06pm EST

GPA: 3.97 (OMSAS, 3rd year undergrad)

CARS: 129

Casper: Was a bit uncertain abt this one bc im a slow typer and feel like i didnt write much, often even running out of time near the end.... but I guess it pulled through. I didnt buy any practice but prepared lots by coming up with answers to personals/general MMI answers. 

Time Stamp: 1:10 PM EST

GPA: 3.94 
CARS: 126 (Lol)
Casper:  Good! Practiced a bit leading up to the test (no Doing Right), and I have my own way of answering questions that apparently worked (second time getting interview at Mac).  I must have done quite well if I got an interview with my horrible CARS!

Time Stamp: 1:46
Invite/Reject: Rejection

GPA: 3.71
Casper: Answered every question but felt like I let my concern over time affect my answers a little. Overall felt ok though.

As a mature applicant who did some undergrad classes ten years ago before I knew I wanted to pursue medicine, I wish McMaster had a time limit on which classes count toward your GPA calculation. Oh well, thankfully most other schools are more concerned with recent academic achievements.

I'd also like to remind younger applicants who might be feeling down right now about not getting the response they wanted that there's no such thing as running out of time with this pursuit. Try to never take rejection personally and instead let it build you into an even stronger person and applicant. Your future co-workers and patients will be grateful that you did.

Best of luck to everyone that got good news today and to those that will continue the grind.

Leg

Time Stamp: 1316
Invite/Reject: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.99
Casper: Felt kind of bad, (I previously wrote CASPer successfully for another program which felt better than this time)

Anybody know how often the waitlist is actually called?

(UPDATE:)
I was invited on March 27 at 1136 by email, to interview on March 30, so there is hope for waitlisters!

Time Stamp: Jan 10, 1:38 PM

Invite/Reject: Reject

GPA: 3.96

CARS: 130

CASPer: Honestly, felt ok about it and answered all the questions

Geography: IP

Thought I had this one but must've really done poorly on the CASPer. It sucks but I'm keeping my head up! Definitely going to prep hard for CASPer if other apps don't pan out.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, stethoscope2019 said:

Lurked these forums forever, honoured to have gotten the invite!!! Didn't think it was possible, but here we are :D

Time Stamp: 1:54 PM
Invite/Reject:  Invite!!!

GPA: 3.45
CARS:  129
Casper:  Practiced A LOT. Read Doing Right, improved my typing speed. I think the most important thing was actually paying for practice and scoring, but obviously it's unclear if that's what helped the most.

Geography: IP

EDITS: I put my CARS in wrong! I got a 129. Got so excited. Also removed the pro-paid help stuff lol

Are you a grad applicant?

Archived