Premed 101 Forums

Huge Dillema, Really Unsure

garceyues

Hey all, so I am going to have to make a really big decision soon that I feel will impact my ability to apply to medical school.  There was this special interdisciplinary program that I decided to join at my university, trying to be a keener and all.  Long story short, it has been a nightmare plagued with endless problems.  There isn't really a point in discussing all the issues I have with it, but the whole thing has been extremely shady, biased and overhyped.  This would all be bearable, except for the fact that it is tanking my GPA.  

At this point, I really just want to withdraw from the program and the courses.  There are two full year courses I must complete for this program, each of which is worth a half course per semester.  Essentially, these two full year courses are weighted as two regular courses all together.  Now here is the issue:  I already have two withdrawals from my first year.  The first time was genuinely my fault; I did not know how to study coming out of high school and blew a midterm.  The second semester in first year, I went through a horrendous long term break up that affected my ability to study towards the end of it.  I know it seems like a garbage excuse, but it was pretty significant for me.

Since then, I have figured out how to study, and my grades have experienced an upward trend, despite taking on more ECs.  Last semester, I managed to get straight As, aside from the two year-round courses in this program that I won't have a grade for until April.  

I cannot express how much disdain I have for this whole program.  I genuinely despise being in it, and I dread every single lecture.  If I was to withdraw, I would have FOUR withdrawals on my transcript, two from first year and two during third year.  I am confident that I could get straight As next semester even with 6 courses to make up for a withdrawal, but this program is extremely biased and unfair, and I feel as though I am being singled out by my prof and certain staff.  

I don't want to be written off or carry some sort of stigma in my med applications because of having four withdrawals.  I also don't want my GPA to take a hit because of something that is completely out of my control.  I feel as though I would be finished for out of province schools should I continue with this program based upon my GPA predictions.  These aren't normal courses, and my hard work literally means nothing in this program.  I regret doing this so much and I just want out of it.

What do you guys think I should do?  I am feeling really lost and unsure  :( :( :( 

I cannot advise one way or the other on what to do. 

Some things to consider.   Yes, undergrad GPA is king -- but also some schools require full course load to use the year for GPA or for weighting.  Does dropping the courses reduce you below full course-load for year 3 ?   It would wipe out the year from being used for Western as example.  Sounds like you already have a reduced course load for year 1 -  so you can no longer use wGPA at UofT.

16 hours ago, Meridian said:

I cannot advise one way or the other on what to do. 

Some things to consider.   Yes, undergrad GPA is king -- but also some schools require full course load to use the year for GPA or for weighting.  Does dropping the courses reduce you below full course-load for year 3 ?   It would wipe out the year from being used for Western as example.  Sounds like you already have a reduced course load for year 1 -  so you can no longer use wGPA at UofT.

I wouldn't go below full course load,  as I would be taking 6 courses to make up for it this semester.  I am confident I can handle that load.  And yes,  you are correct about the U of T WGPA.  

Archived