Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

Timestamp: 9:00 AM

Interview: Yes 
GPA: 3.92
Context: rural upbringing (but not in Northern Ontario), currently completing undergrad in a major city
ECs: Quite a bit of work with Indigenous communities and a strong desire to work in the north.
Non-trad?: No
# of previous applications: 0

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, March

So grateful for this opportunity. I look forward to meeting some of you soon :)

This comes as no surprise as it was a long shot (urban and bottom-line GPA). Still posting if ever it helps OOP applicants.

Timestamp: 10:29 AM

Interview: No 
GPA: 3.75
Context: born and raised in a major city , OOP/French
ECs: Strong research ECs , volunteer work with elderly, Amnesty International implication *quite a bit with indigenous people, strong desire to work in the north.

7 minutes ago, Mim said:

This comes as no surprise as it was a long shot (urban and bottom-line GPA). Still posting if ever it helps OP applicants.

Timestamp: 10:29 AM

Interview: No 
GPA: 3.75
Context: born and raised in a major city , OP
ECs: Strong research ECs , volunteer work with elderly, Amnesty International implication *quite a bit with indigenous people, strong desire to work in the north.

so rejections are going out today too?

Timestamp: 6:34AM (PST)

GPA: 
Context: Lived in a rural northern BC city almost all my life and got my undergrad in northern BC
ECs: Quite varied- pm me if you want to know more
# of previous applications: 1

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay, March 3rd

2nd time interviewing at NOSM- so excited to get another shot at the interview this year!!!!!!!!!!! Any BC applicants out there who want to fly out together?

Timestamp: 10:06

GPA: 3.86
Context: live in North Simcoe Muskoka Region in a smaller community, not rural
EC: Varied, have been working in health care for some years. Volunteer and employment in many health care related roles. Worked to establish programs in my community. PM me for details.
Non-trad?: Yep!

Interview location: Sudbury

I am so incredibly excited!! Did anyone else get an e-mail today with the subject heading "Correction: Northern Ontario School of Medicine "? They just changed the interview time. Nearly gave me a heart attack. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting you! :)

Timestamp: 10:25

GPA: 3.57
Context: OOP, aboriginal
EC: very varied. Music, advocacy, student groups, Heart and Stroke Foundation, bilingual interpreter at hospitals, former high school teacher
Non-trad?: Yes and mature applicant 

Interview location: Thunder Bay

Honestly had said to my friend the other day that I essentially donated money to OMSAS. So I'm very thrilled that I got an interview at the only school I applied to in Ontario. Good luck everyone :)

Timestamp: 9:45am 

Interview: Yes! 
GPA: 3.87 
Context: Indigenous. Born and raised in Northern Ontario. Moved to Central Ontario at age 18 for university. 
ECs: Rep hockey since age 9, peer tutoring and mentoring, 300+ hours of surgical observership, volunteer work with marginalized individuals, multiple hockey awards, long-term employment, tons of travel experience, various scholarships and awards, etc.  
# of previous applications: 1 

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 24th in Sudbury 

Timestamp: 8:32am
GPA: 3.4
Context: I have lived in Northern Ontario for almost my entire life.
EC: Varied; have volunteered for food bank, a local doctor where I live, the Heart & Stroke Foundation, for a woman who suffered a stroke, have various awards,  lots of work experience, and am currently a Registered Nurse with over 2 years of nursing experience. Guess I also qualify as a mature student based on my age.

Interview Location/Date/Time: March 23rd in Sudbury :)

Timestamp: 9:44am 

Interview: yes 

GPA: 3.85 (from last undergrad) 

Context: Undergrad biomedical biology 2010-2014 @ LU ; Masters genetics 2014-2016 @ LU with one publication; UofT physician assistant program 2016-2018; Endocrinology PA/sub-investigator for clinical trials (presently) in Toronto. Mature applicant, born and raised in Sudbury, bilingual. Volunteer experience: camp quality, alzheimer's society, canadian cancer society, spca etc. Work experience: medical receptionist for 4 years during undergrad; tutor x 2 years; TA x 2 years; standardized patient at NOSM. 

Interview location/time/date: March 24th Sudbury 

Timestamp: 9:19 am

GPA: 3.96

Context: Lived in Northern Ontario my entire life

EC: Varied, lots of research (PM for more info)

Interview Location/Date: March 23rd in Sudbury

Extremely grateful and excited for this opportunity. Congratulations to everyone who received an interview! :)

Timestamp: 9:41 am

GPA: 3.95 for NOSM’s calculation

Context: Grew up in Northern Ontario, university in Southern Ontario

EC: Research heavy with NSERC, invited presentations, and publications. Multiple leadership positions, but I also included personal interests, a few prominent awards, and some important formative employment opportunities in the ABS. 

Interview Location/Date: March 24th in Sudbury

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello Ali-oop,

On the NOSM website it says that invitations for 2020 will go out from "mid-January to mid-February." When I asked the Recruitment Officer a few months back, I was told that, "Interview invites are usually sent out in January via email." When I checked previous invite dates on the other premed 101 forums, I saw that last year, they were sent out on Thursday January 10th. In 2018, they were sent out on Wednesday January 10th. In 2017, they were sent out on Monday January 23. So I'm thinking tomorrow at the earliest and mid-February at the latest. I get a feeling they'll be sent out this month though since that seems to be what they aim for. I feel as though they probably give themselves until mid-February as a buffer just in case there are delays, they have extra time.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

10 hours ago, Upendy said:

Hello Ali-oop,

On the NOSM website it says that invitations for 2020 will go out from "mid-January to mid-February." When I asked the Recruitment Officer a few months back, I was told that, "Interview invites are usually sent out in January via email." When I checked previous invite dates on the other premed 101 forums, I saw that last year, they were sent out on Thursday January 10th. In 2018, they were sent out on Wednesday January 10th. In 2017, they were sent out on Monday January 23. So I'm thinking tomorrow at the earliest and mid-February at the latest. I get a feeling they'll be sent out this month though since that seems to be what they aim for. I feel as though they probably give themselves until mid-February as a buffer just in case there are delays, they have extra time.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Thanks Upendy! I did exactly the same 'research' you did-could be as early as tomorrow starting around 9m EST it would seem... though in the previous years they seem to like to send them out mid week-ish. rather than on a Friday. Anyway,  it seems no one has any inside info, so we will remain in suspense til the emails come out!