Premed 101 Forums

How are CASPer results used?

5 minutes ago, HopefulOT(one day) said:

Hey guys- I'm wondering if anyone knows how CASPer exam scores are used by the OT/PT programs? I cannot seem to find any information of this.. 

I believe that a lot of the OT/PT schools are using it for the first time this year, so I don't think many ppl know. For all we know they could just be testing it this year and not actually putting any weight on it until next cycle. 

18 minutes ago, housecalle said:

I believe that a lot of the OT/PT schools are using it for the first time this year, so I don't think many ppl know. For all we know they could just be testing it this year and not actually putting any weight on it until next cycle. 

i would think that it would also make sense for them to use the first cycle its ever been used as a trial, so that they can see how scores correlate with other factors within people's applications. all i know is that for toronto PT, they just use it to weed out the people who scored at the bottom 20% of the CASPer. If toronto is doing it this way, i'd imagine that schools are also still in the preliminary stage of using CASPer scores to assess applications

1 hour ago, HopefulOT(one day) said:

Does anyone know how UofA is using it.. they say this on their page but I don’t exactly understand what that means 

• The CASPer results will complement the other tools that we use for reviewing applications. We are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process.

If I could hazard a guess, if the sGPA cutoff (say it's 3.8) then those close to it (i.e., 3.7) will be reviewed based on their CASPER and could therefore take a position of someone with a 3.8 GPA but a bad CASPER score. This is purely speculation though :)

This is how Western says they use the Casper score:

The MPT Program uses the following process to determine admission to the program:

• From all of the applications received, only the 300 applicants with the highest sub-GPA are given further consideration
    • The cutoff GPA is dependent on that year’s applicant pool and therefore varies from year to year
  • The top 300 applicants’ files are screened for completeness including all necessary documentation, CASPer score, and appropriate prerequisites
  • CASPer ranking: Students who are ranked below average on the CASPer test may not be given further consideration
    • Students ranked more than two standard deviations above average, may be added to the files sent for external review even if they were not within the top 300 applicants ranked by sub-GPA

I also believe that schools will use the CASPER this year in their admission package calculations. The way I understand it is the CASPER test weeds out individuals who are exceptional academics but do not possess the life experience, ethical understanding and personality necessary for success in the field of healthcare.  

4 hours ago, Rajalgool said:

This is how Western says they use the Casper score:

The MPT Program uses the following process to determine admission to the program:

• From all of the applications received, only the 300 applicants with the highest sub-GPA are given further consideration
    • The cutoff GPA is dependent on that year’s applicant pool and therefore varies from year to year
  • The top 300 applicants’ files are screened for completeness including all necessary documentation, CASPer score, and appropriate prerequisites
  • CASPer ranking: Students who are ranked below average on the CASPer test may not be given further consideration
    • Students ranked more than two standard deviations above average, may be added to the files sent for external review even if they were not within the top 300 applicants ranked by sub-GPA

I also believe that schools will use the CASPER this year in their admission package calculations. The way I understand it is the CASPER test weeds out individuals who are exceptional academics but do not possess the life experience, ethical understanding and personality necessary for success in the field of healthcare.  

This is music to my ears!!! 

Archived