Premed 101 Forums

What are the 3 most important/influential books you've ever read?

cleanup

8 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

I plan to reread 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, a classic for good reason.

Love Stephen Covey. You may be interested in Adlerian psychology. I'm reading "The Courage To Be Disliked" which speaks from the same underlying principles. Both Carnegie & Covey were big fans of Adler.

• 3 weeks later...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - always inspires me with every re-read, lifting my spirits when I feel I am off life's track.

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Sir Philip Pullman - yes I know they were originally published as YA fantasy books, but the trilogy can be read on multiple levels. Don't let the Golden compass movie dissuade you (a poor resemblance to the book).

Lintchpin by Seth Godin- essentially his message is to survive in today's market, you need to be indispensable, be creative

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell- he coined the 10,000 hr rule in this book. I remember reading it and thinking 'hmm maybe there is hope for talentless average people like me'

So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport- really helped me to evaluate my priorities and focus on the important things when shit hit the fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Second time I've heard Linchpin. 

How to Make Friends and Influence People is a classic of course.

So far my 3 are:

• The Courage To Be Disliked
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
  • Discipline Equals Freedom

Archived