Premed 101 Forums

Lost between choosing doing a master, or taking a 5 th year, or going to US

Hi everyone,

I am currently a 3rd year undergrad student with pretty much a fair GPA of 8.0 out of 9 (approximately 3.78 out of 4). This is however for my 2 years only (1st and 2nd year) and I might be able to do good this year and take it to 3.80 this year (gpa of 3 years). However, I am absolutely lost between deciding which pathway is the right one to take and action upon that for my 4th year. These are my choices:
1- I can do 5th year and take things easy as possible to boost my GPA
2- just graduate and get my bachelor and directly take a masters
3- still take 5th year and go to american dental schools.
I need to say that the cost is important for me too. Right now I am in ontario and I have already lost the chance of getting into western dental school as I dont meet the requirements sadly. Any help will be much appreciated

If cost is important to you then going to the states would be a terrible decision. The majority of people going to the states grossly underestimate how crippling it is to pay off $500-600k, not including interest. The cost, unless you will be inheriting a practice or your family has the means, IMO is not worth becoming a dentist (or any other profession).

If UofT is your only option you may need to do a 5th + masters.

17 hours ago, BROSCIENTIST said:

If cost is important to you then going to the states would be a terrible decision. The majority of people going to the states grossly underestimate how crippling it is to pay off $500-600k, not including interest. The cost, unless you will be inheriting a practice or your family has the means, IMO is not worth becoming a dentist (or any other profession).

If UofT is your only option you may need to do a 5th + masters.

You are right. I think states is not a good decision for me. I will probably do a 5th year and then if still not accepted I will do a masters. My GPA is honestly not that bad right now but it is too soon to say what will happen by the end of this year and the next year. Thank you for your help

Archived