Premed 101 Forums

Electives for FM

1. I go to an Ontario medical school. I'm somewhat geographically limited because my spouse has a permanent job that is not relocatable, and being an older student, I would like to start my working life sooner rather than later. My hope is to match to Toronto/Mac.

For FM, does one still need OOP electives "to prove you are willing to move"? (I prefer to not go OOP,  but I also want to match)

2. What's higher yield for carms? An elective at a satellite site or the main site? (I will be applying to as many sites as possible)

3. Would 3 electives in one city be too much? 

4. Is there a FM program that has more of an emphasis on psych/psychotherapy/CBT? Not necessarily a +1 but a residency program with greater exposure to it.

5. Any recommendations for a prenatal/maternal fetal medicine elective? I'm looking for outpatient prenatal care/US screening/genetic counselling type of exposure.

6. Any recommendations on where to go for adolescent medicine?

9 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

3 electives in different fields at your home school makes sense, no need to spend extra to go away for diversification. But 3 electives in the same city in the same field might cast doubt as to the level of interest in other programs.

Those are 3 different fields in the same city, but not at my home school. 

18 hours ago, sangria said:

1. I go to an Ontario medical school. I'm somewhat geographically limited because my spouse has a permanent job that is not relocatable, and being an older student, I would like to start my working life sooner rather than later. My hope is to match to Toronto/Mac.

For FM, does one still need OOP electives "to prove you are willing to move"? (I prefer to not go OOP,  but I also want to match)

2. What's higher yield for carms? An elective at a satellite site or the main site? (I will be applying to as many sites as possible)

3. Would 3 electives in one city be too much? 

4. Is there a FM program that has more of an emphasis on psych/psychotherapy/CBT? Not necessarily a +1 but a residency program with greater exposure to it.

5. Any recommendations for a prenatal/maternal fetal medicine elective? I'm looking for outpatient prenatal care/US screening/genetic counselling type of exposure.

6. Any recommendations on where to go for adolescent medicine?

If you're going into FM, a outpatient gyne rotation is probably far more relevant than doing an MFM elective. You'll never come close to the types of patients MFMs see. Definitely interesting patient population if you're just interested for your own purposes.  Prenatal care in a GP maternity clinic would be useful though, depends on your jurisdiction whats available though. 

I think there are diminishing returns from doing more electives in the same city. People who do 6 weeks in Toronto are often shocked when they don't get a Toronto interview, but from the program's point of view, they just want the best candidates and they know that some schools have more elective time than others. Lastly, the truth is, a lot more people want GTHA than there are spots and the programs know it, so they are looking at the applicants CVs to weed people out, interest is established, but you need more than just interest for Toronto/Mac. 

I personally think the best way to do this is to try to make yourself as competitive of an applicant as possible. I would probably do two electives in GTHA, just in case the first one doesn't go well, but also do electives OOP, this increases your chances of getting interviews out of province and also increases your chances of convincing OOP programs to rank you highly. I would also try to excel at the electives you do go to, if you know a lot, are diligent, disciplined and impress, that goes a long way to helping you match and is likely more crucial to matching to Toronto/Mac than other programs. There are other ECs that you can do as well, but these are optional and should only be done if you have an interest in them. 

Archived