cardiomed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 10:30
Result: Invite !!! 

cGPA: 3.94
MCAT: 130/130/130/127
Feeling about Casper: I thought it went ok, got an interview at McMaster but not Ottawa so who knows! 
ECs: NSERC CGSM and other research and academic scholarships (one publication), did research at Bringham & Women's hospital, 3 years volunteering with Ronald McDonald house, been involved with various clubs, valedictorian of my undergrad class. 
Year: 2nd year MSc

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC:  no

IME STAMP: 14:30 (Checked Minerva)
Result: Refused

cGPA: 3.8
Feeling about Casper: Felt good about it but than again first time taking it and didn't get any interviews yet
ECs: Numerous research accomplishments, volunteer work as counselor and in medical accompaniment, artistic and humanitarian ECs in leadership roles.
Year: Finishing a bachelor in biomed

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Comments: Am surprised

3 hours ago, plansformed2015 said:

Agreed -- fantastic improvement -- how did you complete your second degree?  (online and/or using a lot of transfer credits?)

Congratulations!

Thanks so much!!!

I did it in class, transferred some credits, had to do about 80 credits for the second degree. 

TIME STAMP: 10:23
Result: Invite 

cGPA: 4.0 
MCAT: 516
Feeling about Casper: Mediocre 
ECs: 3 First author papers, co-author on 10 other. International conference presentations. NSERC, OGS scholarships. President of student association, VP of different clubs. Clinical volunteering etc... 
Year: Undergrad (2017) MSc. (to be conferred - 2019) 

Letter of EC:  no

TIME STAMP: Checked around 3:00 pm
Result: Invite
cGPA: Prefer not to say
Feeling about Casper: Pretty good. Felt better last year and scored very highly as per McGill's refusal stats. Didn't feel I did as well this year but still pretty good overall.
ECs: Lots and varied. Volunteering, research, community activities, professional work experience
Year: Master's completed 

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Comments: This is my second time applying and receiving an interview. To all those who did not receive an interview: I am really, really sorry! I know that it hurts so much to get a rejection. I really hope that you get good news from other universities. Take some time to let this settle in, then when you are ready, focus on what could be improved for next year. For those who received an interview last year but not this year despite having improved your applications - I am so sorry! I really don't know what to say that would make you feel better. Some of you must have spent months focusing on what went wrong in the interview, how you would improve it for this year, and picturing yourself doing perfectly in the MMI this time around. I know I did! While reading the thread, I was preparing myself for bad news as some stellar candidates from last year got waitlisted or refused this year. I am feeling so grateful for this opportunity and look forward to making the most of it! Good luck to all the candidates who will be interviewing next month. For those who didn't make it this time: don't give up! Focus on what could be improved. Once I am done with the interview, I would like to offer some help re: pre-interview stuff (CV/Casper) as that was my strong suit.

TIME STAMP: around 10h40am
cGPA: 3.93 (undergrad) and 4.0 (MSc)
Feeling about Casper: Better than last year I think (was average according to my ranking last year)
ECs: Lots of research (grants, international congresses, 1 first author article, vulgarization), worked as a teaching assistant for 4 years and varied other stuff (music, volunteering in student associations, cat rescue, etc)
Year: just graduated MSc 

Letter of EC: No

Comments: Got refused last year post interview, I'm looking forward to do better this year! So good luck for the interview to all who got the invite, and good luck for what's coming next to all those who got a rejection.... most of us have been there too, continue to work hard and try again! <3 

TIME STAMP: around 11 am
cGPA: 3.94 (undergrad) 
Feeling about Casper: alright, felt like last year's went way better but let's be real, it's such a crap shoot test
ECs: peer support network, volunteered a lot but awhile ago, had an NSERC in undergrad and FRSQ during masters, author on paper, tutored teenagers, write murder mysteries and am heavily involved in multiple DND groups
Year: 2015 BSc Neuroscience, unfinished masters IPN Neuro 2015-2017

Letter of EC: yes, had to leave masters for health reasons

Comments: was waitlisted last year to 30th after interviews, ended at position 4 or so by August. Didn't improve CV since then because had a dumb cute baby. Hopefully interviews will go better this year! I thought I did really well, but we ll see

TIME STAMP: 9:07AM 
Result: Invite 
cGPA: 3.88
MCAT: 510 
Feeling about Casper: It felt ok. Answered all the questions
ECs:  some leadership positions, involved in sports, academic awards, lots of clinical experience in-patient and out-patient, pharmacy tech
Year: Currently finishing Pharm D. 

Comments (Optional): :D !!!

TIME STAMP: 22:22
Result: Reject
cGPA: 3.97
Feeling about Casper: I thought it went really well, especially compared to last year. Felt I was well prepared and had good answers, but didn't get an invite at Ottawa or Mac so who knows. 
ECs:  long-time tutor for students with disabilities, assistant at chiropractor clinic, Undegraduate TA, physiotherapy assistant for stroke victim, Mentor for at-Risk kids, NSERC USRA project (no pub, but poster presentation), research assistant, some observer-ships, a good amount of scholarships/awards, 3D-printing enthusiast
Year: UG 4th year

Comments (Optional): I honestly thought my application would be enough to warrant an interview, but sadly it is not. Good luck to everyone who did get an interview!

Whelp not a lot of rejections being posted in this year's thread, here goes nothing...

TIME STAMP: 11:30 am
Result: Reject
cGPA: 3.68
Feeling about Casper: Managed to answer all the questions this time, but felt that I did not write/elaborate answers enough, so did not walk away feeling very good  about it
ECs: CV is still mainly research heavy, with 2-3 more unique things sprinkled in...but still weak in Community Service section
Year: completed MSc, PhD ongoing
IP

Comments:
I know it's a seemingly weak cGPA, but after I received last year's rankings where I ranked fairly well in the academic component (270ish/817), I kinda had decent hopes. 
This year's CASPer went better than last year where I bombed it and had technical problems but I guess it was still not even average?  One would think that with an academic ranking in that range I should have been alright with an average CASPer (yes I realize the applicant pool is always getting stronger and that my academic rank undoubtedly dropped this year...but still). I'm now in doubt of the academic ranking I was given last year, seemed too good to be true lol...

Good luck to those with invites this year!

21 minutes ago, 123yeetstreet said:

I checked Minerva and it's still saying that my application status is "Reviewed - Decision Pending"... Is anyone else in the same boat? No email yet either!

If I remember correctly that means you're on the interview wait list. Others seem to have been notified of this so your email should confirm this soon

TIME STAMP: 10:05 [Updated status around 4:00pm Feb 1, 2019]
Result: Waitlist --> Invite!!!! :D 
cGPA: 3.7
Feeling about Casper: Second time writing and was much more prepared this time around.
ECs: Registered Dietitian, working as clinical nutritionist at two McGill affiliated hospitals, clinical coordinator of obesity program, private nutrition consulting at paediatric clinic, TA, lots of community involvement, currently doing research in diabetes to complete my thesis  
Year: UG (Dietetic McGill 2017), Currently MSc thesis

IP/OOP/International:IP

Comments (Optional): 

TIME STAMP: 11:40pm
Result: Regret 
cGPA: 3.85 
MCAT: NA 
Feeling about Casper: Iffy but answered all the questions
ECs:  some leadership positions, academic awards, lots of research, 3pub (2 first author, 1 co-author + 1 abstract 
Year: 4th  (2nd UG)

IP/OOP/International: OPP

Comments: 

TIME STAMP: 1:00 pm (checked minerva)
Result: Invite! Still can't believe it!
cGPA: 3.68. B.Sc. nutritional sciences - dietetics major at McGill
Feeling about Casper: No idea. 
ECs: Worked as RD in private practice. Worked as an RD at a regional hospital, where we were 2 RDs to cover the entire hospital (paediatrics, gastro, surgery, strokes, rehabilitation, etc.). Some volunteering. 
Year: UG (2015)

Letter of EC: Yes

Congratulations to all who got an interview! Try to start looking into the MMI process and preparing early, time really flies! There are plenty of resources lying around the forum, so take advantage of that. For those looking for more MMI questions to prepare with, try googling "korean premed mmi questions", you should find a pretty big list. Psychologically preparing yourself for emotionally/socially uncomfortable/awkward situations and remaining calm under all circumstances are really key, so try yourself at these sample scenarios and whatever else you can find until you feel like you're ready to take on whatever they might throw at you when the big day comes around.

Also very happy to see some familiar usernames from last year :) I really really hope it works out for you guys this year.

To the applicants who didn't get an invite this year and are really disappointed right now, I hope you'll feel better soon. It's an unreasonably competitive process, so while you should take a step back and re-evaluate, especially when the stats come out later in the cycle, you also really shouldn't let this result affect your sense of self-worth. Most importantly, don't let this hurdle put your life on pause; keep living life to the fullest outside of medicine, and the rest will fall in place.

Archived