Premed 101 Forums

McGill M.D.,C.M. Interview Invites / Regrets 2019

cardiomed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, RD2BE said:

I don’t know! But I know that the fact that I did a master and that my undergrad was a “professional degree” (registered dietitian) were in my favour

I believe that there is a 10% academic context score within the 70% academic score, which your higher education ex. master's degree, can contribute to a higher overall academic context score. I am completing my third undergraduate degree, and I assume they do consider the types of degrees when analyzing dossiers. I do think you may get a boost/advantage as well if you have done a master's degree. I am not sure what this boost is, or if it's worth more than someone who has done other types of degrees. I do think the Admissions Office seriously consider each applicant and try to make each application as strong as possible. 

I think it also depends on the category that you are applying for (ex: NTP vs IP) as the other candidate profiles would be different. Ex: maybe as an RD you might have a stronger CV for IP pool (which would boost the application despite the cGPA) vs NTP where the CV might not be ranked as highly as others also probably have tremendous work experience. I think getting rankings after the admission cycle would be beneficial in determining which areas can be improved for the future :) 

I'm a bit confused. I have a first degree (Bachelor) and soon a second degree (Bachelor too, part-time). Should i apply on the University-Level with the first degree or with the Non Traditional Path with the second degree i did part time? The second one as a better gpa, but maybe i should try one way better than another?

40 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

I'm a bit confused. I have a first degree (Bachelor) and soon a second degree (Bachelor too, part-time). Should i apply on the University-Level with the first degree or with the Non Traditional Path with the second degree i did part time? The second one as a better gpa, but maybe i should try one way better than another?

If you complete(d) either on a part time basis then you can’t apply in the regular IP category, your only option is NTP, but if you complete your second one on a full time basis then you’ll have more options 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, cardiomed said:

TIME STAMP: 1015
Result: Invite!!!! 
wGPA: 4.00
MCAT: Not submitted
ECs: first author on 3 journal paper and first author and presenter on around 19 abstracts, volunteer in africa, cancer centre volunteer, research group mentor and manager, and athletics, VP of a school club, etc.
Year: 1st undergraduate degree (2015): cGPA 2.2, second degree (2018): cGPA : 4.0 Currently finishing MSc. 

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Nice! So they only considered your 2nd degree (2nd bachelor?) for your GPA? 

3 hours ago, marjemarj said:

Nice! So they only considered your 2nd degree (2nd bachelor?) for your GPA? 

Just to clarify: 

Basis of admission degree needs to be completed before July of the admission period. 

Hypothetical ex: 

Degree 1- 3.5 GPA

Degree 2- 4.0 GPA and this degree is being completed by July of the cycle you are getting admitted, then they will use the strongest GPA as basis of admission. In this case, degree #2. 

17 hours ago, dreamteam22 said:

Just to clarify: 

Basis of admission degree needs to be completed before July of the admission period. 

Hypothetical ex: 

Degree 1- 3.5 GPA

Degree 2- 4.0 GPA and this degree is being completed by July of the cycle you are getting admitted, then they will use the strongest GPA as basis of admission. In this case, degree #2. 

Yes that's what i understand :) Thank you :) I have a strong CV in science/ i'm a healthcare professionnal, just didnt tough about my GPA with my first degree. I already have 1/3 of a second degree done. So i will apply soon when i will have enough credits.

8 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

Ok thanks, I didnt know that. What would be a good grade in Cegep for these pre-req?

On their website, it says that a pre-req GPA of 3.4 or above is considered competitive. However, the average pre-req GPA is around 3.8. So aim for that or above. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 5:19 PM, marjemarj said:

thanks.

i have like 79%, i got sick in the last semester (mononucleosis)...! 

Oh I'm sorry... :/. Idk if a letter of EC would apply to your situation but you should totally get informed for next year. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, marjemarj said:

For the Cegep pre-requisite, so 3,4 or above would be >80% overall?

I have a 3.21/4 which is an 80 and I placed 260/290 for prerequisite score ( rankings gotten after interview) and it lowered me 53 points, my ranking after the interview was 103 and went down to 156 due to prerequisites so I would say aim for above so a 3.6/4 or above 90 for prerequisites, because the prerequisites significantly bring down your overall score after the interview, so it means if you have 80 or below 80 you have to be in the top 30 of all 240-300 people that even if the prerequisites lower you by 50 ish points you make the 79 accepted cutt off. Your EC might help you out in this case however I do not know how mcgill takes it into account. 

16 minutes ago, Cardiolove01 said:

I have a 3.21/4 which is an 80 and I placed 260/290 for prerequisite score ( rankings gotten after interview) and it lowered me 53 points, my ranking after the interview was 103 and went down to 156 due to prerequisites so I would say aim for above so a 3.6/4 or above 90 for prerequisites, because the prerequisites significantly bring down your overall score after the interview, so it means if you have 80 or below 80 you have to be in the top 30 of all 240-300 people that even if the prerequisites lower you by 50 ish points you make the 79 accepted cutt off. Your EC might help you out in this case however I do not know how mcgill takes it into account. 

Thank you for your input. I did the prerequisite courses more than 15 years ago so if they dont accept the exemption (i worked in science for 10 years) i’ll do them again. McGill told me that the 8 years rule might change for fall 2020, i’m waiting to see what kind of change it will be on the website. Otherwise i have a strong CV (healthcare profesionnal, author of a book, research, implication with doctors for the environnement, i’ve started an non profit organisation, was owner of health clinic with employes,  had scholatships, i give conferences to doctors, etc) 

Just now, marjemarj said:

Thank you for your input. I did the prerequisite courses more than 15 years ago so if they dont accept the exemption (i worked in science for 10 years) i’ll do them again. McGill told me that the 8 years rule might change for fall 2020, i’m waiting to see what kind of change it will be on the website. Otherwise i have a strong CV (healthcare profesionnal, author of a book, research, implication with doctors for the environnement, i’ve started an non profit organisation, was owner of health clinic with employes,  etc) 

Post-MMI, your CV is not taken into account. Your MMI and basic sciences are though. 

Archived