Premed 101 Forums

I’m a Quebec applicant with a bachelor’s degree (non-science). I want to apply to med schools abroad (US, Ireland, Australia). Is it better to complete my science prereqs in university rather than Cegep?

Nathaelle

Hi,

I’m new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked (I couldn’t find the answer after doing many different internet searches). 

I’m from Quebec and have a non-science bachelor’s degree. I still have most of my science prereqs to complete before I can apply to medical school. I’m planning to apply to Quebec med schools, but I want to keep my options open in case it doesn’t work out. I’m looking at the US (MD or DO, Ireland and Australia. Maybe Israel). My question is: can I complete my basis science prereqs in Cegep, or should I take equivalent courses at a university? I’m not sure how foreign schools in these countries will view my science courses if they are from Cegep rather than a university. 

Thanks so much in advance.

Not to derail the thread or anything but there are some medical schools I know of in Australia (University of Sydney, University of Wollongong, and Griffith University) and also some Canadian schools like McMaster which don't require any pre requisites (why is this? It's a bit puzzling to me). Those Australian schools do need the MCAT but mac only requires CARS. How do students who come from non science backgrounds or hardly have any orgo/biochem/physics manage in med school? 

15 hours ago, VigoVirgo said:

Not to derail the thread or anything but there are some medical schools I know of in Australia (University of Sydney, University of Wollongong, and Griffith University) and also some Canadian schools like McMaster which don't require any pre requisites (why is this? It's a bit puzzling to me). Those Australian schools do need the MCAT but mac only requires CARS. How do students who come from non science backgrounds or hardly have any orgo/biochem/physics manage in med school? 

Because, orgo/biochem/physics are not important for medical school. Medical schools will either a) re-teach you everything they want you to know or b) expect you to be self-directed and catch up on what you don't know in your own time.

Medical schools are looking for hard-working, motivated, self-directed, and most important personable students. The material can always be taught to anyone. It's not difficult.

45 minutes ago, robclem21 said:

Because, orgo/biochem/physics are not important for medical school. Medical schools will either a) re-teach you everything they want you to know or b) expect you to be self-directed and catch up on what you don't know in your own time.

Medical schools are looking for hard-working, motivated, self-directed, and most important personable students. The material can always be taught to anyone. It's not difficult.

Thanks. In this case I don't think I'll spend anymore money on prereqs. 

2 hours ago, robclem21 said:

I am a bit torn about the prereqs imo. I felt that some prerequisites that med schools require are justified; they do come back in some way or another like physiology, general chemistry and and general biology. I agree that orgo and physics can be done without. I am also a person that enjoys the basic sciences so that's prob why.. others may feel differently. Most Canadian med schools have done away with onerous prereqs except for McGill and Ottawa. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:10 PM, VigoVirgo said:

They manage, i do find it weird though that the most self directed and 3 yr program is the one that has no pre-reqs, but the truth is orgo, chem, physics and math literally play 0 role in medical school. However, most life sci or health sci students have some background in anatomy or human physiology and that is very relevant to medicine. All in all though, given that grades don't matter in med school, it makes almost no difference in the end. 

Archived