Premed 101 Forums

Where to get a suit

A good starting point would be a department store like the bay as it has a variety of brands which you can try on. The same size of different brands can fit differently depending on the cut, so it is helpful to try a few. Most likely with your pricepoint and need for a simple suit to wear to an interview, you'd be looking at buying something off the rack and at least having the pants hemmed to the correct length. You may opt to have more detailed tailoring done with regards to the seat of the pant, or even the suit jacket. Most likely won't need to if you can find a brand with a reasonable fit.

I can't speak to the quality of indochino but apparently they have very affordable suits and they will take a suit off the rack and adjust it to your measurements with the initial purchase. Never been to moores but it might be ok if you know what you're looking for, the same goes for tip top tailors.

I wouldn't recommend visiting other stores: ex. harry rosen, saks 5th ave, nordstrom, hugo boss, as they will be ++ expensive for your needs.

For colours, look for a nice charcoal, navy, or blue. Black is a commonly worn colour by applicants as well but kind of boring. Burgundy is uncommon but can look nice if it suits your personality/style.

A plain white dress shirt that fits well will pair well. You can go for a coloured/pattern option if you know what you are doing. If you go with a plain white shirt, you can find a tie that 'pops' and goes well with the colour of the suit, feel free to look into a patterned tie if pairing with a plain shirt. 

Match the colour of the belt and shoes. There are different shades of brown you will learn to appreciate.

A steamer can be helpful for removing wrinkles at home between interviews.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find a suit on your first trip to a store, but probably a good idea to give yourself a week to check out a few stores and allow time for any tailoring, to find a suitable tie/belt/shoes and potentially have items ordered if your size isn't in stock.

I’d also suggest the bay. It is possible the store doesn’t have your size but that it is available online. Lots of clearance sales right now. 

A likely more expensive but perhaps better size variety could be found at George Richards (big and tall men’s store). You could also try Moore’s (May have your size but I find their quality much worse and more disappointing). 

Having bought menswear for all ages and sizes of gents in my family these would be my suggestions. 

Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 6:43 PM, IMGEGY said:

Thanks everyone for the info. I went to a couple of stores and by the looks of it I will have to get a made-to-measure suit. Any recommendations on the best place to get that done?

You're getting into the danger zome for timing with a made-to-measure. I had mine done through Indochino for a wedding, and while the end product is fantastic, and approx $750 for a 3-piece, the total time in waiting, tailoring and refitting was several months. To try and have one made to measure now is too late. But the closest you can get off the rack, and find a GOOD tailor. Fit the shoulders- everything else is fixable except those.

Archived