Premed 101 Forums

More females than males in medicine?

On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, Sickofitall said:

It is kinda sexist towards men in a way but I'm indifferent. And yes of course scientifically incompetent people should not become doctors.  But there are lots of women who do take challenging courses and want to make medical advances too, and are also more empathetic individuals. What I'm saying is that if I see more women getting into medical school than men, I am not going to lose sleep over it. If some guy is making a big song and dance about it, I don't really care either. We're not going to have male rights marches and rally's to protest the " oppressive and discriminatory" medical school admissions practices lmao.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:50 AM, End Poverty said:

There is a study showing that females doctors are better than male doctors..

but the study has had some critique:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/02/04/the-study-that-said-female-doctors-are-better-than-male-doctors/#327e0fa93f92

On 1/30/2019 at 9:32 AM, liuqiba said:

I think that is the key question here: we have evidence that the admissions process slightly favours females, however if we are confident that the process selects for the best doctors, should we care?

I wonder what all of your opinions would be on the tech industry? This forum seems to have a thing for women. The same things can be said for men, there are a lot of men that take advanced courses in the tech industry and work really hard, why should there be seats specfically for women in these fields? And not for men when it comes to med school? 

Men IMO, are also more inclined towards tech because "FACTS DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS" kind of attitude of tech, the computer doesnt care about you, or show any emotions, many women would not be able to endure this, by the same logic. Why are people loosing sleep over women in tech then?

There are studies out there that also show, that on general, men are better suited for the tech field and workplace than women.

True equality is when the same rules are applied everywhere.

3 hours ago, yaboi said:

I wonder what all of your opinions would be on the tech industry? This forum seems to have a thing for women. The same things can be said for men, there are a lot of men that take advanced courses in the tech industry and work really hard, why should there be seats specfically for women in these fields? And not for men when it comes to med school? 

Men IMO, are also more inclined towards tech because "FACTS DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS" kind of attitude of tech, the computer doesnt care about you, or show any emotions, many women would not be able to endure this, by the same logic. Why are people loosing sleep over women in tech then?

There are studies out there that also show, that on general, men are better suited for the tech field and workplace than women.

True equality is when the same rules are applied everywhere.

There are many more men applying to engineering schools than women as well (seems like there are more men interested in math I guess), not just in “tech” particularly. I have a feeling though for medicine, the application ratio is much closer to 50:50. So “if” the application is truly biased to one gender it is considered unfair. For medicine particularly, I honestly do not believe it is a field where one gender performs better than another due to biological differences even though there are studies out there saying it is (having done research myself, people who do those studies already have an agenda to begin with, why else would you start a research program like that?). Even in medicine, women tend to go to primary care specialties and in Canada, primary care is emphasized “particularly” heavily (which believe or not, it’s imo not the best thing, but that’s another issue) therefore med school self selects for applicants well suited in primary care. In the US where primary care is not as emphasized, the ratio of men:women in med school is much more even. Let’s not forget that despite >=50% of graduating med students are women, the proportion of new women faculty members in major US research heavy medical schools is way lower. It seems to me, different genders tend to gravitate toward different directions in their careers and it reflects how the field is evolving (either for better or worse unfortunately). If we want equality, we should “encourage” more women (and men) to pursue specialities and research based careers not just family medicine, making med school admissions admit people with wide range of interests and skills

Archived