Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

TIME STAMP: 2:56PM Jan 17th 2019

Interview Date: Feb 9 2018

Result: Interview (MD)

cGPA:  3.98

MCAT: 518 (130/128/131/129)

ECs: Fairly strong I think, 5 publications (none first), several oral presentations and poster presentations, extensive community involvement, leader of several clubs, athletics

Essays: I spent a good month on the UofT essays and had several people look them over

Year: MSc.

Geography: IP

• 2 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: January 31st, 12:51PM

Interview Date: February 24th

Result: Invite!

cGPA: 3.98 wGPA 

MCAT: 129CP/127CARS/130BIO/128PSYSOC

ECs: pretty diverse and non-traditional! I spent a lot of time working in my campus' Residence program as a Don one year, a life-sci academic support person another etc. with lots of internal committees and community work throughout, plus a big focus on mental health and well-being with suicide prevention and intervention certifications. Also focused quite a bit on LGBTQ initiatives, and was the right hand to the faculty chair of our LGBTQ advocacy committee which included lots of events and community outreach. Arts and music throughout as well, with choirs, performing at community shows and such. No research publications. Working now full-time as a PTA in a physio clinic, and part-time elsewhere doing surgical work for eye donations from organ donors.

Essays: I didn't get them looked over which probably wasn't a good idea, but I felt good about them and true to myself. Worked on them for about a month.

Year: 4yr HBSc. grad, UofT

Invite (Feb 24)

Timestamp: Jan 31, 12:52 PM

wGPA- not sure, somewhere between 3.9-3.95 for sure. 

MCAT- 128/128/130/130 - 516

EC’s - diverse, I think. Basically no research though (only 4 months as a research assistant back in 2014).  7 years employment as a lifeguard/swim instructor. Also worked as a liaison officer for my local university, travelling the province to recruit students and conduct presentations. Hospital volunteer hours (around 2 years), Rotary club member (also about 2 years), mission trip to Haiti to help in a medical clinic in 2014.  Numerous university clubs - was part of the mental health awareness club, a club that raised money for the homeless shelter in my hometown, an instructor for student exam review sessions for intro psych courses (students offering support club), Golden Key social media chair for my local chapter. Guest speaker at a few youth leadership events. That's kinda the gist of it. Lots of teaching experience and public speaking. 

Essays - felt good about them 

Last year of masters program

IP

Honestly shocked. Got rejected from western today (my dream school), so I really needed some good news. Third time applying, first cycle with interviews. Keep working hard everyone! I know how draining this process is but don’t give up!!

Edited by futureMD95
Adding info

TIME STAMP: 12:51 p.m

Interview Date: February 24th!

Result: Invite :D

cGPA:  3.95

MCAT: (131, 127, 129, 131) 518

ECs: Quite diverse, long term, NSERC, founded a small non-profit, volunteering abroad, long-term pharmacy job, etc.

Essays: good enough apparently! I had them reviewed by current med students and advisors at my undergrad

Year: Graduated 2018

TIME STAMP: January 31st at 12:51 P.M.

Interview Date: February 24th

Result: Interview (MD)

cGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 508 (127/125/127/129)

ECs: Several different things, but I think I have a good balance of research, community involvement, and club activities.

Essays: Very proud of them. Spent several weeks writing them from the heart and had lots of feedback from others.

Year: 2nd-year MSc

TIME STAMP: February 13

Interview Date: Saturday March 2nd 2019

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: Surpassed cutoffs per section

ECs: 2 pubs pending, 3 pubs submitted, executive member of 5 clubs, missionary medical volunteering, clinical/hospital volunteering, private personal training

Essays: Huge focus on CanMEDS roles by choosing answers that highlight my ability to incorporate them coherently. Edits from a couple of trusted sources to ensure I was hitting the points and using med-appropriate language.

Year: 4th Year Undergraduate

TIME STAMP: February 14th 3:50 PM

Interview Date: Saturday March 2nd

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.92 I think

MCAT: met cutoffs

ECs: a few pubs, presentations, some kind of cool employment experiences I think, somewhat of a theme in my activities I would say, no clubs 

Essays: worked on them for a couple of months, had one person review, they felt good

Year: Masters

I think one of my reference letters may have been bad or at least not great. Other 2 I am 99% sure would have been excellent. Just throwing that out there in case it helps someone. 

TIME STAMP: 1:28PM Feb 20 2019

Interview Date: March 30th 2018

cGPA:  3.97 ish

MCAT: 521 (131/127/131/132)

ECs: Unique and diverse (see my older posts for more info). In terms of research: one 2nd author manuscript waiting to be published, one poster presentation, one NSERC-USRA

Essays: I spent a solid week on them and had 3-4 people proofread them! Didn't mention my research in any of my essays cause I felt like most applicants would do that and I wanted to be different 

Year: 4th year BSc

Geography: Living in Ontario, permanent address in BC

TIMESTAMP: 12:29PM Feb 20 2019

Interview Date: March 30th, 2018

cGPA:  3.97ish

MCAT: 518 (130 Chem/130 Bio/ 130 CARS /128 Psych/Soc)

ECs: Nothing extravagant, but diverse. A mix of coaching, research, mentorship, and athletics, from HS to current. Message for more info! 

Essays: Spent like 2 weeks on them, and had them proofread by a few people before submitting, same with extended ABS. Tried to maintain structure in all of them, and also related CANMEDS concepts as best I could, while still making things flow well. 

Year: 4th year BSc

Geography: OOP (Sask)

TIME STAMP: Feb 21 2019 11:17AM

Interview Date: March 30

wGPA:  3.95

MCAT: Met cutoffs

ECs: Diverse amongst all categories. PM me if you'd like to know more details. 

Essays: I worked on them for several weeks and had multiple people edit them.

Year: MSc.

I was most likely placed in the grad applicant pool so I assume that they are starting to send out decisions for those applicants.

I don't usually post my stats anymore since they've basically remained the same from my posts 2 years ago. I'll make an exception in this time just because of how -relatively- little data usually gets contributed here.

TIME STAMP: Feb 21 2019,  11:17 EST 

Interview Date: March 30

cGPA:  3.96 (by rounding)

MCAT: Passed cutoffs

ECs: Filled up all 32 items this year, but I've had an interview back when I had 21/48 items. Diverse and met each of UofT's clusters quite well. 

Essays: Spent at least 1.5 months on them, at least 400 hours. Was it overkill? To be honest, probably. I'm not a bad writer by any means, but when it comes to pieces with word limits, I believe in the importance of articulating each idea as succulently and artistically as possible. My grades did suffer but I wanted to write essays that could stand strong among a diverse audience of readers (which is to be reasonably expected of) and leave myself without regret. All of the topics strongly resonated with my experiences and I had a lot to share.
If anything, future readers should find this observation helpful: having exchanged essay reviewing with some of my friends, I've come to realize that there isn't a single, uniform writing style that really makes the magic happen. Some of my friends briefly addressed the question within a single few sentences, then built their entire essays on how their experiences met the four clusters. Personally, I dedicated almost half my word count towards giving a thorough answer/solution before briefly sharing some personal experiences. We all got an interview. 

Year: Graduated UG 

Geography: OOP

Two years ago, I did horribly on my interview. I knew my application wasn't strong: I had a weak reference, few extracurriculars and ultimately, couldn't hold up to applicants with an amazing wealth of experience behind them. I was invited during the final week and suspected that I had only marginally scraped into getting an interview. I convinced myself that the odds weren't in my favour and let myself fall. 

Last year I didn't take my essays as seriously enough and got rejected March 16th. Firstly, the topics just didn't click with my experiences. Secondly, seeing that I already had been previously been invited, I grew extremely over-confident and complacent in my writing. I got no interviews from any school during this year.

Each interview is a privilege. Each year, med schools get more and more amazing applications, either from those who have come back strong after a previous rejection, or new talented applicants. Perhaps I'm just on this site too often, but getting accepted 4th year doesn't seem as common as it once was. In any case, I'm extremely grateful to have another chance of making things right.  

Time stamp: Feb. 26, 2019 1:10PM (EST)

Interview: March 31

MCAT: 128/131/131/131

GPA: 3.97

ECs: Filled them all. No publications.

Essays: Wrote in a week and had my mom proofread them lol.

Year: 4th year UG (last)

Geography (OOP)

I'm so incredibly excited! I really assumed it would be a rejection. 

• 2 weeks later...

Timestamp: March 11, 2019 3:10PM (EST)

Interview: March 31

MCAT: 506 (...Ya I know) 

GPA: 3.99

ECs: Filled them all. Tried to highlight activities that aligned with CanMeds, but I am definitely research and leadership heavy.

Essays: I do not remember how long it took me to write these but I had a few people look them over. A lot of self-reflection went into my responses. 

Year: 2nd year MSc

Geography (OOP)

I'm so incredibly excited, I thought this was a total F on my end. So to all those that have not heard back yet, head up, there is still hope!