Premed 101 Forums
aposter

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

TIME STAMP: 2:56PM Jan 17th 2019

Interview Date: Feb 9 2018

Result: Interview (MD)

cGPA:  3.98

MCAT: 518 (130/128/131/129)

ECs: Fairly strong I think, 5 publications (none first), several oral presentations and poster presentations, extensive community involvement, leader of several clubs, athletics

Essays: I spent a good month on the UofT essays and had several people look them over

Year: MSc.

Geography: IP

TIME STAMP: 3:58 PM

Interview Date: Feb 9, 2019

Result: Interview

cGPA:  3.94

MCAT: 505

ECs: Lots of different things, lots of continued activities, leadership roles, etc. 

Essays: Spent a few weeks on them, answered questions very honestly.

Year: 4th UG

Geography: OOP

MD/PhD invites still coming

TIME STAMP: 11:54 AM Jan 18th 2019

Interview Date: Feb 23 2019 (MD/PhD), Feb 24 2019 (MD)

Result: Interview (MD/PhD)

Year: MSc conferred

Geography: OOP

Can message for other details! 

TIME STAMP: January 18th at 11:54AM 

Interview Date: February 23 (MD/PhD), February 24 (MD)

Result: Invite 

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: Met cut-offs

ECs: Lots of research...message for details on ECs

Essays: Spent more than a week on essays with lots of edits from friends

Year: 2nd-year MSc

TIME STAMP: January 31st, 12:51PM

Interview Date: February 24th

Result: Invite!

cGPA: 3.98 wGPA 

MCAT: 129CP/127CARS/130BIO/128PSYSOC

ECs: pretty diverse and non-traditional! I spent a lot of time working in my campus' Residence program as a Don one year, a life-sci academic support person another etc. with lots of internal committees and community work throughout, plus a big focus on mental health and well-being with suicide prevention and intervention certifications. Also focused quite a bit on LGBTQ initiatives, and was the right hand to the faculty chair of our LGBTQ advocacy committee which included lots of events and community outreach. Arts and music throughout as well, with choirs, performing at community shows and such. No research publications. Working now full-time as a PTA in a physio clinic, and part-time elsewhere doing surgical work for eye donations from organ donors.

Essays: I didn't get them looked over which probably wasn't a good idea, but I felt good about them and true to myself. Worked on them for about a month.

Year: 4yr HBSc. grad, UofT

Invite (Feb 24)

Timestamp: Jan 31, 12:52 PM

wGPA- not sure, somewhere between 3.9-3.95 for sure. 

MCAT- 128/128/130/130 - 516

EC’s - diverse, I think. Basically no research though (only 4 months as a research assistant back in 2014).  7 years employment as a lifeguard/swim instructor. Also worked as a liaison officer for my local university, travelling the province to recruit students and conduct presentations. Hospital volunteer hours (around 2 years), Rotary club member (also about 2 years), mission trip to Haiti to help in a medical clinic in 2014.  Numerous university clubs - was part of the mental health awareness club, a club that raised money for the homeless shelter in my hometown, an instructor for student exam review sessions for intro psych courses (students offering support club), Golden Key social media chair for my local chapter. Guest speaker at a few youth leadership events. That's kinda the gist of it. Lots of teaching experience and public speaking. 

Essays - felt good about them 

Last year of masters program

IP

Honestly shocked. Got rejected from western today (my dream school), so I really needed some good news. Third time applying, first cycle with interviews. Keep working hard everyone! I know how draining this process is but don’t give up!!

Edited by futureMD95
Adding info

Date: Feb 24
Result: Invite!

wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: Above cutoffs
ECs: NSERC CGSM and other research and academic scholarships (no pubs), music-related ECs, lots of leadership, some hospital volunteering, etc
Year: 2nd year MSc

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

TIME STAMP: 12:51 p.m

Interview Date: February 24th!

Result: Invite :D

cGPA:  3.95

MCAT: (131, 127, 129, 131) 518

ECs: Quite diverse, long term, NSERC, founded a small non-profit, volunteering abroad, long-term pharmacy job, etc.

Essays: good enough apparently! I had them reviewed by current med students and advisors at my undergrad

Year: Graduated 2018

TIME STAMP: January 31st at 12:51 P.M.

Interview Date: February 24th

Result: Interview (MD)

cGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 508 (127/125/127/129)

ECs: Several different things, but I think I have a good balance of research, community involvement, and club activities.

Essays: Very proud of them. Spent several weeks writing them from the heart and had lots of feedback from others.

Year: 2nd-year MSc

4 minutes ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

I think its better to create a new invite/rejection thread. This thread already has almost 5 pages of banter lool

well I am going to have to go through and clean that up

ha, it is so tempting to just combine them at the moment but useless in the long term where only the stats are useful. 

Anyone else receive a rejection today? I got rejected like 20 mins ago lmao with a pretty high GPA and what I thought were good ECs and reference letters (my referees told me they were glowing). I honestly have no idea how I was rejected this early unless I was flagged for some reason.

13 minutes ago, KeyzerSoze said:

Anyone else receive a rejection today? I got rejected like 20 mins ago lmao with a pretty high GPA and what I thought were good ECs and reference letters (my referees told me they were glowing). I honestly have no idea how I was rejected this early unless I was flagged for some reason.

Most likely you got a full file review but just didn't make it. I had a friend rejected in 3rd year last year in early February as well. He was a great applicant by all means as well and actually got into another school. Mist people get rejected in March but some do as well I'm February, but just might not post here

TIME STAMP: February 13 at 5:00 P.M.

Interview Date: March 2nd

Result: Interview!

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 128/129/130/128

ECs: PM me.

Essays: Spent quite a bit of time working on them, but at least one of them I had to rewrite quite late into the process.

Year: Masters

TIME STAMP: February 13 at 5:02 pm

Interview Date: March 2

Result: Interview (MD)

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: met the cutoffs

ECs: Diverse

Essays: Felt unsure about what they were looking for

Year: 4th UG

TIME STAMP: February 13 

Interview Date: N/A

Result: Rejected

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: Didn't meet MCAT cutoffs (received my score a month after submitting my application)

ECs: Hard to say, but I definitely through they were strong and my wording fit nicely with the four clusters

Essays: Definitely strong, spent over 2 months writing them, with multiple edits from different healthcare workers that make up a multidisciplinary team to ensure diversity in the essays. Too bad my MCAT score wasn't what I expected.

Year: Gap Year

TIME STAMP: February 13

Interview Date: Saturday March 2nd 2019

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: Surpassed cutoffs per section

ECs: 2 pubs pending, 3 pubs submitted, executive member of 5 clubs, missionary medical volunteering, clinical/hospital volunteering, private personal training

Essays: Huge focus on CanMEDS roles by choosing answers that highlight my ability to incorporate them coherently. Edits from a couple of trusted sources to ensure I was hitting the points and using med-appropriate language.

Year: 4th Year Undergraduate