Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

2 minutes ago, MDWilliams said:

Timestamp: March 11, 2019 3:10PM (EST)

Interview: March 31

Result: Interview (MD)

MCAT: 506 (...Ya I know) 

GPA: 3.99

ECs: Filled them all. Tried to highlight activities that aligned with CanMeds, but I am definitely research and leadership heavy.

Essays: I do not remember how long it took me to write these but I had a few people look them over. A lot of self-reflection went into my responses. 

Year: 2nd year MSc

Geography (OOP)

I'm so incredibly excited, I thought this was a total F on my end. So to all those that have not heard back yet, head up, there is still hope!

Congrats!

Did you apply as a graduate student? If so, what was your academic CV like? I'm wondering if graduate review results are going to start coming out...

Just now, dwightschrute123 said:

Congrats!

Did you apply as a graduate student? If so, what was your academic CV like? I'm wondering if graduate review results are going to start coming out...

Thank you!

Yes, I applied as a graduate student! What exactly do you want to know about my academic CV, that is a broad question. 

To address your comment of graduate review results, I have had friends (other graduate students) who have interviewed already, but they were all IP. 

Timestamp: March 13th, 2019 4:53pm

Interview: April 7

Result: Interview (MD)!

MCAT: 520 (128/129/131/132)

GPA: 3.98

ECs: Diverse, a lot of research experience but no publications. Quite a few of them were from high school because I am a young applicant. 

Essays: I probably worked on these for over a month. I had multiple people edit them and tried to answer them very honestly. 

Year: UG - 3rd year

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: March 18th, 2019 1:29pm

MCAT: 519

GPA: 3.95ish? not sure but in that range

ECs: Pretty standard, there's one thing I do that really stands out and I've been doing forever, but other than that just tried to give an honest look at what enjoy - including things like fitness, intramurals and hiking and other little things.

Essays: Spent maybe 3 days on them, proof-read by one friend, was not overly confident about them.

Year: UG - 4th year

Had honestly accepted the L for U of T already since I didn't get invited to Queen's or Ottawa so definitely a pleasant surprise!

Timestamp: March 18th, 2019 2:22pm

Result: Regrets 

MCAT: 517 (129/131/129/128)

GPA: 3.95 based on OMSAS

ECs: 5 years paramedic experience, lots of volunteer work (4-6 hours a week for 3 years), intramurals, rock climbing, no research though 

Essays: Spent at least a week straight on these bad boys, didn't have anyone edit them though.

Geography: IP

Really bummed, I felt like I had a strong application. Good luck to everyone that got an interview here! 

Timestamp: March 18th, 2019 2:32pm EST

MCAT: 509

GPA: 3.93

ECs: Decent, I thought. 

Geography: OP

Good luck to all of you, and thanks again for all the advice on the Forum, it is great to see such support from all over. May run into you during rotations in a few years!

TIME STAMP: March 18th 2:36 PM

Result: Regret

wGPA: 3.79 on OMSAS

MCAT: met cutoffs

ECs: not very impressive I will say, no publications, some clinical volunteers

Essays: did it in one week

Year: 4th

Not surprised not too sad. Glad it is finally over anyway. I would really prefer receiving this earlier.

TIME STAMP: March 18th 1:29 PM

Result: INVITE!

wGPA: 4.00

ECs: diverse and varied, award, leadership and research heavy with a good mix of long term and short term meaningful commitments!

Essays: spent 2 weeks, heartfelt and could resonate with them on an intimate level. Sought proof-reading from current MD student.

TIME STAMP: March 18th 1:29 PM

Result: INVITE

wGPA: 3.97-3.99

ECs: pretty extensive! message for details!

Essays: spent a LONG time on these. They were well written, thoughtful and got lots of edits! However, I was worried they were not personal enough (bc in 2 of the 4 essays I did not include personal stories), but seems like this wasn't much of an issue.

Year: Last year of Master's

Time Stamp: March 18, 2019 2:27pm (EST)

MCAT: 510 (127/126/130/127)

cGPA OMSAS: 3.89

wGPA: 3.95

ECs: 2 summers of research from coop (with fourth author and two posters), national award for research, average volunteering, some sports and hobbies

Essays: Took a month to think about and a month to write. Had an MD student to look over it and felt good about them.

Year: 4th Year UG

Geo: IP

Very disappointed with the result. I was hopeful that I had a chance due to my GPA and I felt my essays were strong. :-(

TIME STAMP: 2:50PM PST March 19th, 2019

Interview Date: Apr 7, 2019

cGPA:  3.75

wGPA: 3.8-ish (I don't really know how to calculate, UBC does percentages and counts credits differently)

MCAT: 522 (131/128/132/131, after many retests...)

ECs: PM me, or dig through my old posts. Variety of things, some long term but mostly entry-level service-industry jobs, some random gigs, and basic level clinical research work. 2 abstracts, 1 undergrad thesis, no pubs otherwise. Some sports, but not competitive. 

Essays: tbh I wrote them the night before they were due. I absolutely hated writing the essays each year, it was like pulling teeth... I also have received rejects every year right around this time so I kinda went into essay writing thinking it was futile (I pretty much only did the rest of OMSAS because I was already applying for Queens) To anyone reading this - I do not recommend doing that. I did, however, relate each prompt to my personal story, life, experiences and lessons learned and perhaps this year's prompts allowed me to relate, and thus write, better.

OOP, BSc 2017 

TIME STAMP: March 19th, 2019

cGPA:  3.9+

wGPA: 4.0? (Not sure their exact rounding etc.)

MCAT: Met 500 cutoff

ECs: Lots of volunteering, research, community involvement, sports.

Essays: I felt one was a little generic, but the others were fine?! I was very honest about who I am.

OOP

Filling this out late, but I know everyone is anxious and the wait is horrendous so wanted to share my stats for other's future use. 

Time stamp: March 18th 2019 1:28 pm

Interview date: April 7th, 2019

Year: Graduated MSc, IP

wGPA: 3.8ish

MCAT: 128,127,128,127

ECs: A lot of volunteering: palliative care, hospitals (adult and children), executive or founder in a variety of clubs, small public health initiatives, peer support and advising (which is my love), grunt work in clinical research. Research: 1 co-first authorship (shared with 3 other people), 2 2nd author pubs, 1 3rd author publication, 1 poster presentation. 

Essays: honest and heartfelt but also ensured that it matches the UofT clusters. 

Only interview. Rejected pre-interview: Queens, UBC, Dalhousie, Newfoundland, Ottawa. Been rejected post-interview from UofT two times before. I know the struggle is hard guys, but hopefully it will pay off in the long-run. 

TIME STAMP: March 18th, 2019

cGPA: 3.95 

wGPA: 3.99-4.0

MCAT: 509 (125/128/128/128) 

ECs: Lots of research (2 first author, 2 coauthors pubs, NSERC,  posters, invited speaker, etc.), and a good balance of other activities with leadership, employment, etc. I also felt like I had 2 very strong LoR and one average to strong LoR. 

Essays: I wrote them during an all nighter the day before applications were due so I wasn't expecting much. However, I did go back and reread them, and maybe due to the time crunch, I can tell I answered the questions while being true to myself, so perhaps that helped. I didn't have anyone review them. 

TBH at this point in the cycle I was expecting a rejection! Good luck to everyone else, and don't let a low score on one section of your MCAT discourage you from applying!