Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Friendly US Dental Schools

I know I will not make it into Canadian dental schools due to the rough first year I had (due to major illness). I am a music major currently in my second year. My first year GPA was 2.4 (like I said, I was very sick), but first semester of this year, it was 3.3, which bumped my CGPA up to 2.74. I am hoping to bump it up even further by taking intersession courses this summer and working really hard for the rest of my undergrad. I am looking at US schools as a plan B. I was wondering if anyone has any info on Canadian friendly schools that may be options for me. 

I am hoping that my diverse background will work in my favour. I am pursuing a major in music (with the appropriate dental prereqs, of course). I have not written the DAT yet. 

Uoft drops your worst year I think as long as it isn't your last year of studies in a 4-year program. You can look up their admissions page for more details. I'm not sure about the other schools (too lazy to check) but I'm sure you can look up their admissions requirements to see what they require.

I think it is possible with a music major, but I'm not sure how the grading works in the music program. If they never give out 4.0s, or at least 3.7-3.8s, no matter how hard you try then that could work against you despite the uniqueness aspect. If you're planning on doing more than 4 years of study then it could be doable since I'll assume you'll take "GPA boosters".

You also don't "need" to take anatomy during undergrad. I personally haven't taken any anatomy courses during my undergrad and I'm (so far) not dying in my anatomy course during school, although previous anatomy knowledge might help. But let's be real, who actually remembers everything they learned in their undergrad classes?

I do suggest taking more basic science courses to fulfill the prerequisites so you can get a better grasp on the lingo and concepts used in the sciences which would help you when you get into dent (e.g. microbiology, histology, etc courses in first year dent at uoft). However, that's just a suggestion and not a requirement. If you can rock the DAT without doing what I suggested then you're going to be fine.

Good luck!

If you want to go to U of T you need at least a 3.85 with your worst year dropped. Because you have to use your 3.3 year, it is impossible for you to get a 3.85 averge in 2 more years (max possible is 3.77) or even 3 more years (max is 3.83). So I would say U of T is not an option

Western looks at your best 2 years so you could have an amazing 3rd and 4th year to use. I believe other schools do this too. Just make sure you get the prereqs for your desired schools.

As for the US, as previously said here are other threads that discuss this. My added advice is "Canadian Friendly" equals private which equals a lot of money.

Lastly, no matter where you go, if they accept people with low GPAs its because they value other aspects as well. Just doing "fine" on the DAT and/or ECs doesn't cut it. If they look at ECs in some regard they better show leadership/uniqueness/interest in dentistry.

Archived