Premed 101 Forums

takasugi

The first author is pretty much always the presenter. In my experience, even if someone did all the work and made the poster but can't make the conference to present, then whoever will present the poster is placed as first-author even if they didn't do most of the work lol  not sure if this is always the case though

2 minutes ago, premed_67 said:

The first author is pretty much always the presenter. In my experience, even if someone did all the work and made the poster but can't make the conference to present, then whoever will present the poster is placed as first-author even if they didn't do most of the work lol  not sure if this is always the case though

In that case, the proper thing would still be to keep the author order, because the convention to indicate who is presenting is to underline their name on the poster. So usually that's the first author but it could be any co-author

2 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

In that case, the proper thing would still be to keep the author order, because the convention to indicate who is presenting is to underline their name on the poster. So usually that's the first author but it could be any co-author

That's really good to know! In the lab that I work in, we'd always have to place the presenter as the first author 

39 minutes ago, premed_67 said:

That's really good to know! In the lab that I work in, we'd always have to place the presenter as the first author 

Yeah I know no one teaches you these things lol, I only found out when I looked up how to cite my posters and subsequently noted the distinction at conferences. Really it makes little difference, the involvement on a poster is taken much less seriously than the order on a published paper 

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, premed_67 said:

You said right...