Premed 101 Forums

Scinapse

Follow your heart man. Don't waste 5 years of your life when you know you already don't want to do a PhD. I highly doubt it will even come up in an interview, even if it does, simply tell them the truth and I think they will respect your honestly. A lot of people drop out of grad school, switch undergrad majors/schools, don't feel compelled to finish your PhD, especially since you are only 3 months in.

Do you truly no longer want the PhD or is maybe just the January blahs ?   Think back to why you apply to it ?  Was it a true focus or a plan B from an unsuccessful Med School cycle ?

Don't burn 5 years of life on something you don't want.  I suspect you can bail out now with minimal impact on future med school applications. Do you even have any PhD courses on a transcript yet ?   What you cannot do is bail out at the point you get a med school interview.  Some schools like UofT will not even accept your application.  You also do not want to waste your PI's time by hanging around with no intent to continue.  You will lose them as a reference.  As long as you have good references from your Masters you are probably good.

The 2019/20 cycle is still a ways off and no guarantee of interviews.   What will be your game plan for the next year or 2 ?

2 hours ago, Scinapse said:

Some schools like UofT will not even accept your application." 

I just meant that you cannot apply to U of T Medicine without your PI confirming that you will graduate before June 30 before starting medicine.   I was suggesting don't hang on to the PhD if you do not plan to finish it.     Cheers and Good Luck on your path to Medicine. Time to nail the MCAT !     

Archived