Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

1 hour ago, Anderfishy said:

Does anyone know how to check whether or not they applied via the bilingual stream? 

I am bilingual but I genuinely cannot remember whether or not I applied through that stream or the pure English stream. I want to know if I need to brush up on my french!

Yeah! Check - I got caught off guard last year. Check whether you wrote "Both" for official languages on OMSAS. If you did, they expect you to be able to speak French or at least explain (preferably in French) why you put it down.

Invite :)
Time Stamp: 1:20pm
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.96
Current year: Graduated BSc 2018
ECs: lots of research experience, TAing and tutoring, shadowed physicians, executive roles in clubs, spent tons of time with vulnerable populations, hobbies - dance & sports...PM for more details. 

Invite
Time Stamp: 22/01/2019 - 9:53am PST
wGPA: how to calculate?? no idea. Not even close to a perfect GPA. Will edit once someone helps me with this. 
Current year: UG complete
ECs: Kind of all over the place. Research, work with minority groups, hobbies, EC's, started some sports initiatives on campus. I am also one of the scholars for a T5 medical school in the US. 

Casper: Wrote casper previously - I have years of CS experience under my belt so it didn't feel challenging at all. 

125 CARS and still made it!!

Does anyone know date availabilities? The one I got doesn't really work for me :\. 

18 minutes ago, canada747 said:

Yeah! Check - I got caught off guard last year. Check whether you wrote "Both" for official languages on OMSAS. If you did, they expect you to be able to speak French or at least explain (preferably in French) why you put it down.

Thank you!

I checked OMSAS and it said Language of Instruction: English, so I am guessing I didn't put both.

Pissed I didn't!! Kind of wanted to show off french haha

5 minutes ago, Anderfishy said:

Thank you!

I checked OMSAS and it said Language of Instruction: English, so I am guessing I didn't put both.

Pissed I didn't!! Kind of wanted to show off french haha

It's under the personal information section not under language of instruction! Where it asks "what official language do you speak?" Or sth

35 minutes ago, PharmaLife said:

Is there a way of knowing whether one got rejected because of the cut-off GPA or the overall assessment of all components? 

I e-mailed admissmd a few months ago (august) and the cut-off for english stream applicants OOP was 3.87 and IP was 3.85. It only gets lower than that so french maybe 3.8-3.83, indigenous, 3.77-3.8 but I am really guessing at that point.

1 hour ago, ecdcsc said:

Does the personal information section where you select whether you can speak both languages or not affect how they will interview you? For example, if the French stream is picked but you clicked that you can speak both languages, will that be tested at the interview?

like LloydRedStan said, it will be primarily in the language that you picked. However i dont believe there necessarily WILL have questions in the other language. I had 0 questions in English, while my friend had 1. Thing is, not all books get translated to French, and if you make it through the French stream, you'll most likely end up having to do rotations in English as well, so i think they need to know you have a good baseline level of that language. 

I’m OOP (not from Gatineau). I got rejected this morning at around noon. Not posting stats because my GPA is not really that straightforward considering they might or might not have counted my last year of first undergrad year as year 1 in the formula (professional non-bachelor’s, but still considered undergrad). I’m really wondering what they’ve done with my GPA. It could be anything between a 3.7 or a 3.9 depending on how they calculated it. I wish they at least revealed whether or not I was past the cut-off so that it’d give me an idea of how poorly/well I’ve done on the casper test and whether I can still keep my hopes up for other schools. 

55 minutes ago, Beastmango.MD said:

Invite !!!
Time Stamp: 22/01/2019 - 1:11PM
Stream: French
wGPA: 4.0 (2nd degree, around 3.90 with both degree now)
Current year: 4th year (2nd degree)
ECs: Lot of research, hospital volunteering, some sports/ club activities - Probably a bit below average but a good focus on research

Casper: I thought it went well, worst than my practices but still very solid !

just french or also CNFS??

Invite 
Time Stamp: 12:20 AM
Stream: French
wGPA: 3.87
Current year: Third year UG
ECs: Pretty average ; hospital volunteering, few clubs ranging from high school to second year, jobs, no research 

Casper: Did not prep really heavily, just increased my typing speed a little and developed a good answering strategy using free sample Qs. Left out the third Q blank in 2-3 scenarios, otherwise felt good about my answers. 

Invite!
Time Stamp: 22/01/2019 - 12:53 PM
wGPA: 3.94
Current year: Recently graduated (May 2018)
ECs: Lots... Research, Hospital and community volunteering, school clubs, sports and hobbies, music, personal experiences... PM for details

Casper: I thought it went very well. I was able to finish almost all of my answers and I didn't find any of the topics to be difficult.

Invite!
Time Stamp: 22/02/2019 - 11:53 AM
wGPA: 3.95
Current year: Currently finishing up my Masters
ECs: Very diverse, I would say above average with lots of research experience

Casper: Really well, got a Mac Interview (CARS 128) so I'm assuming it translated

Congrats to everybody else as well!