Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/regrets 2019

16 hours ago, lurker25 said:

Honestly, I can only assume that we're on some sort of interview waitlist which is why we haven't been informed of our application status. IMHO this still SUCKS because you'd think they still send you something to let you know what is going on with your application. We still paid the fees like everyone else.

Have you guys checked your junk/clutter mail? That’s where their email ended up for me. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 9:00 am, Jan 31st

wGPA: 3.87
Year: 5th year of UG

MCAT: 128/127/127/129 --> 511
ECs: 2 poster presentations, 1 first author paper manuscript in submission, Literacy organization, Islamic charity organization, homeless shelter and hospital volunteering, street kids charity organization VP back home, playing music as hobby, most volunteerings under a year though.

P.S. Does anyone have an idea whether they're looking for longer term commitments in the ECs or just unique, uncommon stuff?! 

If the cut-off theory is right for the GPA and MCAT, and that Queen's doesn't give any weight to them after that point,  then I'm screwed! Cause my ECs don't (and probably never will) have anything super unique in them no matter how hard I try to improve my MCAT for next year...

Result: Invite

Time Stamp:  0920

wGPA/cGPA: 3.75ish? / cGPA = 3.34 by OMSAS (lol...), GPA during grad school was ~3.95
Year: 2nd year Masters

MCAT: 517 (128 CARS)
ECs: 1 upcoming first author publication in high-impact journal, 2 publications, (4th+ author), lots of research work in engineering, many regional conferences. Lots of volunteer/leadership activities (with national-level service awards for each), 10+ years for 3-4 volunteering activities teaching youth sailing, teaching outdoors survival, being a rescue guard in the surrounding bay area (each activity had 1500+ hours, some with 3000+), each activity went from participant/in-training->volunteer->head leader/organizer. Personal ECs include a lot of biomedical engineering competitions (won a bunch of awards for these), robotics, mechanical fabrication, programming (making my own website, mathematical modelling, etc.), electronic engineering for devices like a low-cost ECG, extensive collaboration with surgeons/radiologists/pathologists for many engineering projects using AI. Previously worked in 3 different engineering jobs for co-op and worked a year as a software engineering doing some space stuff. Some music (2000+ hours on piano ) and sports (competed provincially), competitive trivia (international quizbowl competitions). Lots more, but mean time length for each entry was probably 6 years with 1000 hours. The weakest thing was probably hospital volunteering for ~160 hours.

Geography: OOP

Very, very surprised given the low GPA. The only "unique" things about me seem to be that I did a strenuous undergrad (double major in physics + electrical/computer engineering, minored in mathematics, but got 4.0s in physiology/anatomy classes in my grad program), had long, long term commitments with many service awards (the only standard thing I did was volunteer at a hospital, others were not for the sake of med school at all until I decided towards medicine in 4th year undergrad), and also had many projects integrating engineering into medical applications. There was definitely a very, very sharp upswing in my GPA in 4/5th year undergrad onwards where I decided to veer towards medicine rather than engineering.

Result: Invite!

Time Stamp: 7:20/7:39AM MST

Interview Date: N/A
cGPA: 3.74, no idea wGPA as my full-time years are screwed up due to the issues mentioned below
Year: UG (BSc) completed April 2018, took 5 years as undiagnosed medical issues & subsequent mental health issues resulted in withdrawing from classes and taking a semester off school

MCAT: 521 (130/131/130/130)
ECs: Fairly diverse, with not much of the traditional med school applicant stuff. 8 years working in the service industry (year-round), short-term research position (poster presentation, 1 first-author review pub.), ongoing clinical volunteer position (started this summer), high school sports coach, other short-term volunteering running tournaments for youth, etc. My strongest/most-unique ECs involve my athletics - captain of 3 different teams, national level athlete in a sport since high-school (training ~15 hours a week throughout university, 4 national championships, medals at international competitions with Team Canada, travel to 12 different countries in North/South America, Europe, and Asia). 
Geography: OOP

I was honestly stunned when I got the email, being an OOP applicant with a well-below-average GPA. For other schools, I've written an academic explanation essay outlining my medical struggle throughout UG and how it has helped me to become a better doc in the future, but Queens does not have a submission for that... It must have been my unique ECs that carried me through. Super thankful for the opportunity though, and excited to visit Kingston for the first time in March!

On 1/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, onesieluv said:

Result: Invite! I was rejected last year with a 507 MCAT score.

Time Stamp: 9:20 AM

Interview Date: Leaning towards the earlier weekend
wGPA/2 year GPA: 3.98
Year: 4th

MCAT: 521 (131/127/131/132) 
ECs: Student-mentor, NSERC-USRA, 2 yrs medical receptionist, 250h hospital volunteering, international medals for karate, 300h volunteering with people with intellectual disabilities, some unique and diverse ECs
Geography: Permanent address in BC, but studying in Ontario.

you went from a 507 mcat to a 521??

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: Thu, Jan 31, 9:39 AM

Interview Date: Undecided
wGPA/cGPA: 3.92 or 3.93, unsure/abysmal (thank you Queens so much for your 2-year gpa)
Year: Finished undergrad, now working

MCAT: 129/131/130/130 -> 520
ECs: Volunteering in medical first response team for 4 years (>1000 hours maybe), ad-hoc mental health support for a friend, short-term stints in senior care & hospitals. Long-term music hobby (pretty low-key, but over a decade). Been doing some sports for a while, also fairly low-key (intramural team with some great friends for ~ 3 years, some solo sports for ~5-6 years). A moderate amount of research for since 2015, no publications at time of application submission. Some short-term service work.
Geography: Ontario

Last year, I received an invite with a 3.79 wGPA and 514 MCAT (~127/128/128/131). I hope that my previous GPA encourages people with a similar situation.

2 hours ago, whyudodistome said:

you went from a 507 mcat to a 521??

Yes it's possible!! It's funny cause the AAMC posts stats showing that most MCAT test retakers only go up an average of 2 points and then there's me, a whooping 14 point increase LOL.... I guess I defied the odds! The first time I took a prep course (which I don't recommend anyone do) and didn't study enough, as well as not sleeping enough. The following summer I self-studied using **DELETED**/mcat, slept 8h a night for good critical thinking ability, did much more practice & less learning/memorizing the material. I may have gotten a bit lucky too, I felt my 2nd test was much easier than my first tbh. 

1 hour ago, onesieluv said:

Yes it's possible!! It's funny cause the AAMC posts stats showing that most MCAT test retakers only go up an average of 2 points and then there's me, a whooping 14 point increase LOL.... I guess I defied the odds! The first time I took a prep course (which I don't recommend anyone do) and didn't study enough, as well as not sleeping enough. The following summer I self-studied using **DELETED**/mcat, slept 8h a night for good critical thinking ability, did much more practice & less learning/memorizing the material. I may have gotten a bit lucky too, I felt my 2nd test was much easier than my first tbh. 

I second this! My first 2 MCATs were 31/45 on the old one, and didn't make cutoffs for ANY school, including UBC in province (which currently has an IP cutoff of 500 if I'm not mistaken). Now at 522. Whether you studied, gave it your all, had issues come up around the time of the exam, mental/physical health, etc. really plays a role in your performance. 

Result: Invite

Interview Date: Second weekend. I'm out of the continent on the first.
wGPA/cGPA: 3.85
Year: Finished undergrad, now working

MCAT: 131/128/132/131 -> 522 
ECs: Message me or find an old post of mine where I went in to detail. Very diverse, random, and filled with hobby related entries. 
Geography: OOP (although I vaguely remember theres no IP/OOP distinction)

Hey guys,

Quick question. I received two emails back to back, one had a typo for the interview signup date as Feb 3rd 8:30am EST and the other one corrected it and said Feb 6th Wednesday 8:30am EST. Can someone please confirm if the sign up is open Feb 6th Wednesday morning? Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, kkesh said:

Hey guys,

Quick question. I received two emails back to back, one had a typo for the interview signup date as Feb 3rd 8:30am EST and the other one corrected it and said Feb 6th Wednesday 8:30am EST. Can someone please confirm if the sign up is open Feb 6th Wednesday morning? Thanks. 

Feb 6th. If you try to log into the portal right now the error message says it wont open until then. 

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: Jan 31, 9:21 am

Interview Date: Undecided
cGPA: 3.92
Year: Master's Program

MCAT: 513 (126 Cars!)
ECs:
Lots of Qualitative and Quantitative research ( medical education, immunology, evolutionary biology), 5 abstract publications, 2 journal publications, a technologist at a biopharmaceutical company (12 months), a researcher at the Government of Canada (12 months), NSERC, etc
Geography: Toronto

Result: Regrets

Interview Date: Regrets
My 2 year GPA was probably around 3.95
Year: 
Completed undergrad 

MCAT: 519 (128 Cars)
ECs: Received some other interviews, but objectively weak in my opinion. Some volunteering related to a sport I previously played competitively. Some employment (teaching, sports coaching, clinical, customer service). Some standard hospital volunteering. Volunteer research but minimal responsibilities/impact. Some small volunteering from high school. No undergraduate club involvements. No paid research at time of application. I think ECs were what brought me down. 

Not sure if references were weighed at all but I think 1 was very strong. The other 2 were probably below average to average (probably said positive things, but may have lacked in writing style/clusters)?

17 hours ago, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

Interview Date: Regrets
My 2 year GPA was probably around 3.95
Year: 
Completed undergrad 

MCAT: 519 (128 Cars)
ECs: Received some other interviews, but objectively weak in my opinion. Some volunteering related to a sport I previously played competitively. Some employment (teaching, sports coaching, clinical, customer service). Some standard hospital volunteering. Volunteer research but minimal responsibilities/impact. Some small volunteering from high school. No undergraduate club involvements. No paid research at time of application. I think ECs were what brought me down. 

Not sure if references were weighed at all but I think 1 was very strong. The other 2 were probably below average to average (probably said positive things, but may have lacked in writing style/clusters)?

I think references do matter a lot. This is my first year getting Queens (my GPA even fell) out of 3 cycles. I barely changed my ECs, but got 2 very strong reference letters this year (they showed me) and it made all the difference.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:16 AM, Anderfishy said:

Time Stamp: 9:00 a.m

Interview Date: -
wGPA/cGPA: they do last 2 years right? 3.90 (I think) / 3.65-3.75 ish
Year: 5 year UG, working now

MCAT: 516
ECs: Quite broad, diverse, long term, with some personal non-traditional stuff. A few first author publications and oral presentation awards on research. 
Geography: IP

I really wanted Queen’s and I honestly thought my academic climb from 1st to 5th year as well as some of my sketch would make me look holistic. I consider myself non-traditional. However, as we know it is hard to predict what exactly Queen’s is looking for. 

Bummer! Good luck to everyone else :)

So sorry to see this. Your stats and ECs sound great! Now this is what baffles me to the point of madness! With cases like this, can anyone even remotely tell what Queen's is looking for anymore?!.....

On 1/31/2019 at 9:16 AM, Anderfishy said:

Time Stamp: 9:00 a.m

Interview Date: -
wGPA/cGPA: they do last 2 years right? 3.90 (I think) / 3.65-3.75 ish
Year: 5 year UG, working now

MCAT: 516
ECs: Quite broad, diverse, long term, with some personal non-traditional stuff. A few first author publications and oral presentation awards on research. 
Geography: IP

I really wanted Queen’s and I honestly thought my academic climb from 1st to 5th year as well as some of my sketch would make me look holistic. I consider myself non-traditional. However, as we know it is hard to predict what exactly Queen’s is looking for. 

Bummer! Good luck to everyone else :)

Curious as to why you are considered "non-traditional"

1 minute ago, dehindu said:

Maybe just no one has posted, or I haven't looked hard enough, but is there an interview waitlist for Queen's? It seems in the past this was the case, but was wondering if people were told explicitly that they were on a waitlist? Thanks! 

Yes there is but they don't send a different rejection email. Whether you're next on rank list or last, everyone got the same rejection email

Archived