Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/regrets 2019

Result: Invite! I was rejected last year with a 507 MCAT score.

Time Stamp: 9:20 AM

Interview Date: Leaning towards the earlier weekend
wGPA/2 year GPA: 3.98
Year: 4th

MCAT: 521 (131/127/131/132) 
ECs: Student-mentor, NSERC-USRA, 2 yrs medical receptionist, 250h hospital volunteering, international medals for karate, 300h volunteering with people with intellectual disabilities, some unique and diverse ECs
Geography: Permanent address in BC, but studying in Ontario.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2019 at 7:26 AM, Poloma said:

Decided to create this to alleviate some of my waiting anxiety! 

Template:

Result: 

Time Stamp: 

Interview Date:
wGPA/cGPA:
Year:

MCAT: 
ECs: 
Geography:

does anyone read the reject stats and get totally demoralized? it’s like we’re expected to be superhuman individuals just to get a shot at being considered for medicine.. 

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: 9:20 am

Interview Date: 
cGPA: 3.96
Year: graduated UG

MCAT: 526 (130 CARS)
ECs: Fairly average, lots of research with no pubs, some misc work experience, lots of hospital volunteering, hobbies, etc. Good enough for IP UBC and OOP Alberta
Geography: OOP

Got rejected last year with the same LORs, GPA, and MCAT, and only added a couple of activities. Pleasantly surprised!

Result: Invite! (so thrilled and thankful!!)

Time Stamp: 9:20 am 

Interview Date:
wGPA/cGPA: 3.94/<3.7
Year: BSc conferred, have been working for 2.5 years 

MCAT: 509 (128 CARS)
ECs: Lots of research with 10 publications (1 first author), decent volunteer work (hospitals etc.), recreational/intramural sports, thousands of hours of piano performance/practice
Geography: OOP but was living in Ontario last year so not sure what my status is

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 9:00 AM EST
wGPA/cGPA: 3.93
Year: Graduated BSc 2018

MCAT: 126/128/127/132 (513)
ECs: Lots but not good enough haha!

Geography: IP 

I've been rejected to 5/6 schools I applied to, and will prob be rejected from Calgary to make it 6/6 in the next week or so because I'm OOP and the competition is fierce and evidently my ECs are not strong enough. This is my first cycle applying, so I told myself not to expect much but it's hard to not be disappointed and discouraged and feel frustrated about things and feel like I'm far behind everyone else in terms of ECs and just how outstanding you need to be to even have a moderate chance...

Rejected

IP 

Best 2 year GPA- 3.96

cGPA- 3.94

MCAT - 132/130/132/130 - 524

Cant believe it how this process works. Had good ECs and ABS. Got called from IVY schools, USA. I think there is a loophole in the system. The policies are not transparent. If anyone very well deserving  is looking into taking a legal route, do reply to me. Im in. I would like to know where i went wrong. I am sure there are a lot of deserving students who think the same way. 

8 minutes ago, deservingstudent said:

Rejected

IP 

Best 2 year GPA- 3.96

cGPA- 3.94

MCAT - 132/130/132/130 - 524

Cant believe it how this process works. Had good ECs and ABS. Got called from IVY schools, USA. I think there is a loophole in the system. The policies are not transparent. If anyone very well deserving  is looking into taking a legal route, do reply to me. Im in. I would like to know where i went wrong. I am sure there are a lot of deserving students who think the same way. 

No one can deny you the right to feel angry about the decision, however, I can assure you taking a legal route is not going to end positively. 

The policies are not meant to be transparent. Given that you also applied to American schools, you should know that there is a lot of ambiguity in the process, even more so there. Ontario is known to have some of the highest competition to enter medicine. While ~45-50% of people who apply to American medical schools will succeed in being granted admission (as per AAMC statistics), Ontario schools admit less than 10% of the applicant pool. 

When you apply, you are mixed with thousands of applicants of whom many will also possess amazing credentials. How do you sort out those thousands of applicants? Subjectivity. We all know by now that GPA and MCAT alone are not the sole indicators of how one will perform as a doctor, which is why all the medical schools have transitioned away from using those as the sole criteria (and in this year's instance, UWO was the last of the Ontario schools to reform their admissions criteria). Something about the aABS of the applicants they chose to interview resonated with the assessors.  This ambiguity in the process carries forward even at the interview stage.

You are correct, there are a lot of 'deserving students'. All premeds sacrifice a tremendous amount of their lives to apply to medical school. The unfortunate reality is that there are not enough positions for everyone.

15 minutes ago, jouel070 said:

I still havent received anything... I'm a little confused

Honestly, I can only assume that we're on some sort of interview waitlist which is why we haven't been informed of our application status. IMHO this still SUCKS because you'd think they still send you something to let you know what is going on with your application. We still paid the fees like everyone else.

15 minutes ago, lurker25 said:

I'm mad as hell right now. Honestly, I can only assume that we're on some sort of interview waitlist which is why we haven't been informed of our application status. IMHO this still SUCKS because you'd think they still send you something to let you know what the eff is going on with your application. We still paid the fees like everyone else.

Urgh

I would have expected to received something mentionning we are waitlisted. But I'm glad to know that I'm not alone !

For what it's worth, those of us who were waitlisted for interviews but eventually got one last cycle actually received the same rejection email as everyone else on Jan 31, and then we were eventually surprised by emails/phone calls letting us know that we were on the waitlist and a spot had opened up, in the weeks that followed. No idea if they've changed how they're doing it for this year, though. I went from getting a rejection email to getting an interview off the waitlist to being accepted, though, so it definitely is possible.

Result: Rejected

Time Stamp: 9:00 am

Interview Date: NA
wGPA/cGPA: wGPA 3.79, cGPA ?????
Year: Graduated 2017, Working as a nurse since

MCAT: 127/128/129/129 (513)
ECs: recreational sports, volunteering for healthcare research and with children, lots of work experience throughout undergrad until present (community health and acute care experience as a nurse), barbering
Geography: IP

Does Queen's release the wGPA or is that something we have to calculate on our own? If I'm eligible then my GPA would shoot up much higher because of my first year getting removed (3.59 I think). I don't think there is much use to keep applying with a 3.79. I don't see my app really changing as I'm just working at this point.

I thought I'd post here for the sake of stats

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: 9:20 AM EST

Interview Date: 
wGPA: 3.96/3.97 (somewhere in there)
Year: Graduated last year with BSc

MCAT: 515 (130/126/130/129)
ECs: Lots. Research, volunteering, tutoring, sports, hobbies, music, personal experiences... PM if you want to know more
Geography: OOP

This is my first time applying to med schools and I've actually been pretty successful so far (3/5 interviews) so I'm hoping for continued success!

12 hours ago, unarmed walrus said:

For what it's worth, those of us who were waitlisted for interviews but eventually got one last cycle actually received the same rejection email as everyone else on Jan 31, and then we were eventually surprised by emails/phone calls letting us know that we were on the waitlist and a spot had opened up, in the weeks that followed. No idea if they've changed how they're doing it for this year, though. I went from getting a rejection email to getting an interview off the waitlist to being accepted, though, so it definitely is possible.

That is the process I would have expected. I’m back at been very confused, why some of us did not received any email? 

Archived