Premed 101 Forums

Need help Finding a hotel for interviews

43 minutes ago, Cuttlefish said:

Are there any hotels nearby the Ottawa med building? I couldn’t find anything on Google maps beside Rotel.

Do applicants coming from out of town usually stay downtown then drive to the med building?

If I recalled, the med campus is pretty far from the main campus. Ottawa usually tells you to rent the rotel because it’s the closest. I think the next closest would be the  courtyard Marriott hotel which is about 2km away.

When I did my interview, I stayed near the main uOttawa campus. I then took the campus shuttle between Main and RGN the day of the interview, and a few individuals took a similar method (we were easy to spot, not many students take the shuttle to RGN fully dressed up in suits and such!). 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:19 AM, applebanana said:

Has anyone stayed at the Rotel before? If so, what are your thoughts? 

Yes, It's pretty shitty. But it's also cheap and close to the hospital, so it's fine for a one night stay. I was there for two weeks on an elective and it wasn't great. People were fighting loudly in the halls at 2 AM, the hallways are pretty dirty, it's not in the nicest part of Ottawa... 

13 hours ago, applebanana said:

I am staying in Ottawa for 3n4d and booked Rotel for 3 nights for now (free cancellation 24hrs before you arrive). Are the rooms clean (if not hte hallways)? Should I look for another place to stay? If so, do you have any recommendations? I am fine with anything that is clean and quiet at night. 

I'm in the same situation. Booked the rotel for 3 nights. Is it decently quiet at night?

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. While I'm not familiar with the specific hotels near the Ottawa Med building since I haven't been to the area myself, I can suggest an alternative idea for your interviews. Instead of searching for hotels, you could consider having your interview at a mexican restaurant near me. Restaurants can often provide a relaxed and friendly atmosphere for interviews. Afterward, you can easily hop on an Uber or another convenient mode of transportation to reach the medical building. It's worth exploring different options to make your experience memorable.

• 3 months later...

Hey! I totally get the struggle of finding nearby hotels. Rotel might be an option, but it's always good to have more choices, right? You could try checking out some local hotels downtown – staying there and driving to the med building sounds like a solid plan. And hey, speaking of planning, if anyone's considering a career change, check out https://www.howtobecomealocksmith.org/ for some interesting insights. Good luck with the hotel hunt and med building adventures!

• 4 weeks later...

I understand the struggle of finding a hotel near the Ottawa Med building. It can be a bit challenging at times, especially when Google Maps doesn't provide many options besides Rotel. Regarding applicants coming from out of town, staying downtown and then driving to the med building is a common strategy. It allows you to explore the city a bit and ensure a smooth commute to your interviews. Plus, downtown areas usually offer a wider range of accommodations. On a personal note, I'm a fan of traveling myself, and if you ever plan a trip to Montreal, Canada, you should definitely check out my list of top hotels Montreal. It's just a friendly recommendation for fellow travelers. Montreal is a vibrant city with a lot to offer!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it can be a bit stressful to find a good place to stay when you're traveling for interviews, especially in a city you might not be familiar with. Although I can't speak directly for Ottawa's med building area, I can offer some general advice on finding accommodation.
You might want to consider checking out accommodation near me when doing your search. I've found this to be super helpful in narrowing down options that are convenient and close to the place I need to be.
To answer your second question, it does seem like a lot of people opt to stay downtown and then drive to their interview locations. The advantage here is that you can enjoy better amenities and perhaps even some leisure activities to help you relax before the big day.

• 5 months later...

I remember when I was in Australia and had to find a place near a medical building. I ended up staying at Broadbeach accommodation, which turned out to be a fantastic choice. It was close enough to the building, and the accommodations were top-notch.As for Ottawa, finding a hotel near the med building might be a bit tricky. Staying downtown and driving to the building could be a good option, especially if you want more hotel choices and a chance to explore the city.I'd recommend checking out Airbnb as well for more accommodation options in the area. Sometimes you can find great deals on short-term rentals that are close to where you need to be.