Premed 101 Forums

Hi all,

Thought it could be nice to have a thread for those applying to UBC PT this year, we can post our GPAs if you don't know % (or % if you know it) and questions and stuff! It seems like there is a bit of mystery surrounding UBC grades and interviews and stuff so I thought it would be good to have a thread for it.

I am applying with ~3.80 GPA as in province!

22 hours ago, PPTTT said:

How tight is the community? Any tips or cools things you'd like to inform us about? :)

Extremely tight!!! I have to say it's my favorite part about physiotherapy school at UBC. Everyone is extremely close with each other, and we pretty much do everything together, given the fact we spend 8 hours a day together. We have intramural soccer, basketball, hockey, dodgeball, and volleyball teams with the second year MPT's, and even our own spikeball league going on! As for something cool, the second years hosted an amazing introduction week to physio school for us and had a lot of activities planned for us, which was extremely fun and made it easy meeting everyone in the cohort. We are looking to return the favor, that's something you guy's should definitely look forward to :)!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Probablypt said:

I was checking this forum back to the 2018 application cycle and i'm thinking that interview invites or regrets should be coming out this week (in 2018,  interview invites got sent out on Feb 8 Thursday).... i'm super nervous....!!!!!:o

Last year interview invites did get sent out on the 8th! Good luck everyone :)!

16 minutes ago, MonyS said:

Hi guys! Sorry to be that person.. but do you know if the invites go out at midnight or sometime during the day? Super anxiouss

Current 1st year here: Last year we got our invites around 4pm actually, but do note that we found out about one week earlier than most years have, and the department just had their accreditation review process so the chances of them being delayed are probably pretty high because administration was busy doing all those interviews, etc! 

Don't forget to breathe! 

2 minutes ago, HopefullyPT2019 said:

Does anybody know how the CASPer is being used? And are they actually taking our extracurriculars and experience into account? I feel like it is still largely GPA based, but I can't find anything on their site.

I was looking a few days ago and couldn't find any information. I doubt they would give out their formula before announcing interview invites.  @physiohopeful any chance you might know?

Just now, physiohopeful said:

Don't forget to breathe! 

No promises!! :D 

1 hour ago, PPTTT said:

I was looking a few days ago and couldn't find any information. I doubt they would give out their formula before announcing interview invites.  @physiohopeful any chance you might know?

No promises!! :D 

UBC is very very secretive about how they weigh out everything, so even after decisions are made there most likely won't be any information on cut-off, weight of different things etc., even being in the program now I have no idea how it works! 

All I know is that the CASPer is being used to help get a better sense of who you are before the interviews! 

On 2/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, physiohopeful said:

UBC is very very secretive about how they weigh out everything, so even after decisions are made there most likely won't be any information on cut-off, weight of different things etc., even being in the program now I have no idea how it works! 

All I know is that the CASPer is being used to help get a better sense of who you are before the interviews! 

Also do you know if it’s true that the lowest UBC % applicable to a grade (A = 85) is made to convert GPA to %? My school uses A = 90-92% so it puts me at a huge disadvantage (my gpa goes from around a 89-90% down to an 81%). I know you probably don’t but figured it was worth asking!

18 hours ago, HopefullyPT2019 said:

Also do you know if it’s true that the lowest UBC % applicable to a grade (A = 85) is made to convert GPA to %? My school uses A = 90-92% so it puts me at a huge disadvantage (my gpa goes from around a 89-90% down to an 81%). I know you probably don’t but figured it was worth asking!

I personally think that the department would take everything into consideration when looking at applications, but I cannot say for certain if that is how they will calculate your GPA. My best guess is that they would take the mid-value within the range, but I could be wrong!

1 hour ago, Michael SD said:

Oh man starting to get pretty anxious... hopefully its soon,

From what I remember, all the e-mails I got from UBC in the two years I was part of the admissions process it is usually later in the week (Thursday or Friday), so try to stay calm until at least then... 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, HopefullyPT2019 said:

I've heard they take the lowest end also, and that was what I used to calculate my UBC GPA, but I do feel like they have to take into account each school's grading scale. I also found this on the UBC website, although it isn't perfect it can maybe give you a ballpark area of where you might be at! 

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 7.38.29 PM.png

16 hours ago, physiohopeful said:

From what I remember, all the e-mails I got from UBC in the two years I was part of the admissions process it is usually later in the week (Thursday or Friday), so try to stay calm until at least then... 

I've heard they take the lowest end also, and that was what I used to calculate my UBC GPA, but I do feel like they have to take into account each school's grading scale. I also found this on the UBC website, although it isn't perfect it can maybe give you a ballpark area of where you might be at! 

Likely more delays as there is a snow day today