Premed 101 Forums

40 minutes ago, HopefullyPT2019 said:

I wonder how the CASPer might affect GPA cutoff

U of T is using it as the first cutoff point, meaning that even if you have 3.9/4 gpa if you don't meet their criteria you won't go to the next stage. I can't imagine UBC would be all that different.

1 hour ago, PPTTT said:

U of T is using it as the first cutoff point, meaning that even if you have 3.9/4 gpa if you don't meet their criteria you won't go to the next stage. I can't imagine UBC would be all that different.

You would have had to do pretty bad on the CASPer to be cut off from the next stage though, as U of T states that they are using it to  weed out people who scored with a z score of -1 or lower.. which is pretty low. They said something like the bottom 20%. Then after that your CASPer score won't be considered anymore. So if you have a CASPer score that is below average but not quite in the bottom 20%, you're still fair game to move on to the next portion of their admission process. I'd think since UBC isn't saying anything they will be using it to look at our application as a whole just like how they look at our extracurriculars now. Maybe to look out for red flags? Say you have like a 95% average and great extracurriculars but totally bombed your CASPer, then maybe they'd look out for that. Similarly if you applied with an 83% average and have OK extracurriculars but your CASPer was in the top 10%, then they'd give you an extra chance too (i think Western PT looks at CASPer this way).

1 minute ago, PPTTT said:

Where exactly did they say this? 

On their "how to apply page", it says "Stage One: Applicants with a CASPer z-score ≥ -1 will advance to the next stage". And on the their admissions info session video on the same page (around 24 minutes in), they said that they take approximately the top 80% of the applicants from the CASPer before moving on to other stages of the admissions process.

21 hours ago, Probablypt said:

On their "how to apply page", it says "Stage One: Applicants with a CASPer z-score ≥ -1 will advance to the next stage". And on the their admissions info session video on the same page (around 24 minutes in), they said that they take approximately the top 80% of the applicants from the CASPer before moving on to other stages of the admissions process.

Yea I saw that right after you commented, thanks!! 

I have a feeling decisions will be made today...

28 minutes ago, scaphoid13 said:

Same & congrats to everyone who got an interview! - for those who are studying @ UBC/Vancouver area hmu to practice those MMI questions ☺️

I'm down to practice as well!

21 minutes ago, Probablypt said:

Just received my invite as well!! Congratulations to everybody who received an interview!!!!!!!!!! :) :DI'm curious to know how they have arranged the order which people get an interview. Mine is around noon time!

My interview is at 1pm. I'm curious too!