Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
OTMACPLS

GPA Calculation on ORPAS Question

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 

To any one who has applied before to OT/PT school through ORPAS, I was wondering when in February ORPAS actually publishes the calculated sGPA and cGPA.

If you've been through this process before, how did you find the calculation to be? Lower than what you calculated yourself or higher? 

I just want to know more because I'm sitting here in a panic. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

Lower than what I (and the schools) calculated. ORPAS didn’t include things like my placement course when I applied. Even though the schools included it, ORPAS said they didn’t include any placement courses when I asked. 

So in that case, did they recalculate your gpa themselves? Or did you contact the school to let them know that ORPAS didn't include it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

Lower than what I (and the schools) calculated. ORPAS didn’t include things like my placement course when I applied. Even though the schools included it, ORPAS said they didn’t include any placement courses when I asked. 

May I ask you how you know your GPA from the school you applied to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PPTTT said:

So in that case, did they recalculate your gpa themselves? Or did you contact the school to let them know that ORPAS didn't include it?

ORPAS didn’t do any recalculations; they told me to contact the schools. So I contacted Queen’s and they seemed to be very familiar with certain courses not being included in ORPAS. They did the recalculation. I remember seeing a list of courses somewhere, so I knew that the placement course I took was included. My placement course was an academic course so I knew schools would include it anyway.

So I’m not sure if the schools recalculate every applicant’s GPA (that would take forever), or if certain applications get screened and flagged in the system. If your ORPAS GPA is off from your calculation, I would recommend calling the schools you applied to around mid-Feb to clear that up and make sure they know.

12 hours ago, OTMACPLS said:

May I ask you how you know your GPA from the school you applied to? 

When I called to say my ORPAS grade was off, they told me my recalculated GPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rehab4Life said:

ORPAS didn’t do any recalculations; they told me to contact the schools. So I contacted Queen’s and they seemed to be very familiar with certain courses not being included in ORPAS. They did the recalculation. I remember seeing a list of courses somewhere, so I knew that the placement course I took was included. My placement course was an academic course so I knew schools would include it anyway.

So I’m not sure if the schools recalculate every applicant’s GPA (that would take forever), or if certain applications get screened and flagged in the system. If your ORPAS GPA is off from your calculation, I would recommend calling the schools you applied to around mid-Feb to clear that up and make sure they know.

When I called to say my ORPAS grade was off, they told me my recalculated GPA.

Ahh I see, thanks so much for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, JessicaRae5 said:

Do you guys know if the Ontario schools will automatically use our “overall Gpa” that ORPAS posts? I am worried they will use that instead of my Sub GPA

Hey! In Ontario, only Queen's uses Overall GPA (aka cGPA) :) The rest use sGPA. Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, OTMACPLS said:

Don't remind me lol. 

 

How did you do? (if you don't mind me asking)

For sGPA, they take your most recent 20 courses and each grade is converted to a number on the 4.0 scale right here - https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-conversion-table/. So first, find the grading scale used for your university and then convert each of your grade to a number on the 4.0 scale. 

If the 20 courses falls in the middle of a year, they will take the entire average of that duration and multiply it by the number of courses they need to fill that 20 courses. On ORPAS, it's shown as **Average**. 

There are some courses ORPAS does not include in their sGPA such as placement courses, graduate level courses, practicums...etc. so that's why some people's sGPA calculations differ from the ORPAS calculations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MWUQ said:

For sGPA, they take your most recent 20 courses and each grade is converted to a number on the 4.0 scale right here - https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-conversion-table/. So first, find the grading scale used for your university and then convert each of your grade to a number on the 4.0 scale. 

If the 20 courses falls in the middle of a year, they will take the entire average of that duration and multiply it by the number of courses they need to fill that 20 courses. On ORPAS, it's shown as **Average**. 

There are some courses ORPAS does not include in their sGPA such as placement courses, graduate level courses, practicums...etc. so that's why some people's sGPA calculations differ from the ORPAS calculations. 

Oh yeah I know, they already published it. I was just asking how they feel about how ORPAS calculated their mark. If it was to their satisfaction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OTMACPLS said:

Don't remind me lol. 

 

How did you do? (if you don't mind me asking)

They actually rounded mine up beyond what I had been calculating!  Which I wasn't expecting.  I had calculated out various scenarios (from bad to good) of how they would calculate my grades and it ended up being the best scenario possible!

I am much more nervous about my Casper score!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, OTMACPLS said:

Oh yeah I know, they already published it. I was just asking how they feel about how ORPAS calculated their mark. If it was to their satisfaction. 

Also if you see any errors make sure that you send ORPAS a message.  I saw that they may have put the wrong years for a few of my courses.  So if you are a bit worried or thought it would be calculated differently, then just send them a message :)

Also, the sGPA is predicted to potentially drop (at least at Western) due to the introduction of the Casper this year! 

Good Luck!  I wish you well :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rjfried said:

Also if you see any errors make sure that you send ORPAS a message.  I saw that they may have put the wrong years for a few of my courses.  So if you are a bit worried or thought it would be calculated differently, then just send them a message :)

Also, the sGPA is predicted to potentially drop (at least at Western) due to the introduction of the Casper this year! 

Good Luck!  I wish you well :D

ORPAS completely messed up my sub-GPA calculation and I ended up contacting the schools I applied too about fixing it. They recalculated my sub-GPA and told me over the phone my new sub-GPA for my application so you don't necessarily have to go through ORPAS to get it fixed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rjfried said:

Also if you see any errors make sure that you send ORPAS a message.  I saw that they may have put the wrong years for a few of my courses.  So if you are a bit worried or thought it would be calculated differently, then just send them a message :)

Also, the sGPA is predicted to potentially drop (at least at Western) due to the introduction of the Casper this year! 

Good Luck!  I wish you well :D

The Casper scares the devil out of me lol. But it's too late now. 

Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PTHope2021 said:

ORPAS completely messed up my sub-GPA calculation and I ended up contacting the schools I applied too about fixing it. They recalculated my sub-GPA and told me over the phone my new sub-GPA for my application so you don't necessarily have to go through ORPAS to get it fixed!

my SGPA is correct but the years that they have listed for my courses may be wrong.  For example, they put the courses that I took in the Fall 2018 (last term) as 2019.  Now I am unsure as to whether they are counting those courses as the "2019 school year" but I technically took them in 2018.  It was the same for some courses that I took in 2017. 

I sent them a message.  If there are any problems I will be sure to contact Western directly as well.  Thanks for your advice.  I very much appreciate it!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, NewAtThis said:

 

I know, right? I am confident in every part of my application except that damned Casper test!

Especially since we never get to see the "mark", so we have no idea what to improve and how it impacts us. But, that's out of our control now lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My GPA was lower than I expected compared to my GPA at my undergraduate institution because the scale they use is different which is too bad. Did this happen to anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...