Premed 101 Forums

Non-health care related jobs for EC

Hey guys, I really need some thoughts here. I am a second year UBC premed currently work 5-10 hours on the weekend as a sales person. Will this be a ok EC? The job really brushed up my customer service skills and multi-tasking ( prioritizing customers when the store gets busy, etc) and will this experience look good on the application? Thank you in advance! 

As someone who has had both a ton of clinical and non-clinical employment for ECs (worked in labs and a clinic but also worked at a bar, grocery store, as a janitor, washed windows for a summer) I personally think non-clinical employment is an incredibly valuable thing to showcase on your application. Being able to say that you've had jobs that have allowed you to work with, learn from, and serve people from several different walks of life is a definite strength. On your application, I'd phrase it in a way that really highlights what you learned from the experience (which it seems you've already started thinking about) instead of just stating what you did, to really demonstrate how the experience will help you become a better physician.

Non-med jobs are definitely still valuable, but in contrast to some other Canadian schools, UBC really doesn’t want to hear what you learned. They specifically ask what you did, as objectively as possible. Just highlight any canmed competencies where possible (I.e. i provided customer service and addressed customer concerns and frustrations while coordinating solutions with the rest of the team; I took on a leadership role in orienting new staff to the store, etc.)

You don’t necessarily need to apply for a promotion, just try and take on small leadership roles where possible.

2 minutes ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Non-med jobs are definitely still valuable, but in contrast to some other Canadian schools, UBC really doesn’t want to hear what you learned. They specifically ask what you did, as objectively as possible. Just highlight any canmed competencies where possible (I.e. i provided customer service and addressed customer concerns and frustrations while coordinating solutions with the rest of the team; I took on a leadership role in orienting new staff to the store, etc.)

You don’t necessarily need to apply for a promotion, just try and take on small leadership roles where possible.

My bad, I was speaking about schools generally, as that's what I thought rolandofgilead was asking about. I'm not aware of how UBC assesses ECs so will definitely defer to your advice on that.

Also agree that relating your experiences to one or more of the CANMEDs competencies is a good idea for anything you put on an app.

Archived