Premed 101 Forums

UofA Interview Invites & Regrets 2019

Interviews seem to be out. Let's get this thread rolling.

Time Stamp: 10:01am
Result: Invite
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 521
Current Degree: 4th yr UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): good variety, long-term
CASPer: felt good, typed a lot and felt I had insightful answers

Time Stamp: 12:02 am
Result: Regret
MCAT: 509 (128 CARS and 127.25 average)
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): longterm and interesting employment, research, leadership

Casper: Good enough for Mac and uOttawa, but probably not enough for my MCAT score!

They said they will be sending feedback in March to all those rejected. I'm pretty sure for me it was the MCAT but interesting to see what else they have to say. Goodluck to everyone who was invited!

Time Stamp: 10:01 am
Result: Invite
MCAT: 516+
Current Degree: MSc. Conferred
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Heavy research and other multiple long term commitments

Casper: Felt ok

Can message for other details!

Time Stamp: 11:02am(Ctl)
GPA: 3.96
Current Degree: 2nd year Masters
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): not amazing but some unique ones and a couple good volunteer opportunities, lots of research
CASPer: not good enough for Mac so I'm guessing I'm lucky to be IP

GPA: 3.99 wGPA
MCAT: 526 (130 CARS)
Current Degree: Finished degree
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): A few research related jobs, cashier, fair amount of hospital volunteering, and a couple hobbies etc. Average, I felt.
CASPer:  Also got McMaster and Manitoba, both OOP. Extensive preparation with a company, PM me for details. 

Time Stamp: 10:02 am
Result: Reject
GPA: 3.76
MCAT: 515
Current Degree: UG
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Two summer studentships, Couple of research Awards, Hospital volunteering and one other volunteering, Academic Awards etc.

Casper: Felt ok

First time applying. Absolutely gutted. Haven't been able to think straight since I got the email.

Time Stamp: 12:02 PM EST
Result: Rejection
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 513 
Current Degree: Graduated BSc 
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): variety, short term and long term. All 4 spots for each category were filled in.  Some cool life experience things an achievements (competitive sport, poetry, 2nd author publication in intl medical journal). 

Additional Comments: I talked about having experienced an abusive relationship in my first year which caused poor grades/quitting of varsity sport/transferring schools. Some of my ECs now involve supporting and advocating for survivors of intimate partner violence...but...to be quite honest, I regret mentioning this in any of my applications and I will probably leave it off next cycle when I inevitably have to reapply. I feel like I should have listened to others and refrained from mentioning this kind of experience (sexual assault, IPV, mental health). 

CASPer: Felt good, but got cut off for time after only a short sentence in the 3rd question a few times :( 

This is my 4th straight rejection so far this cycle wooohooo. :( 

1 hour ago, UWCC said:

Time Stamp: 12:02 PM EST
Result: Rejection
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 513 
Current Degree: Graduated BSc 
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): variety, short term and long term. All 4 spots for each category were filled in.  Some cool life experience things an achievements (competitive sport, poetry, 2nd author publication in intl medical journal). 

Additional Comments: I talked about having experienced an abusive relationship in my first year which caused poor grades/quitting of varsity sport/transferring schools. Some of my ECs now involve supporting and advocating for survivors of intimate partner violence...but...to be quite honest, I regret mentioning this in any of my applications and I will probably leave it off next cycle when I inevitably have to reapply. I feel like I should have listened to others and refrained from mentioning this kind of experience (sexual assault, IPV, mental health). 

CASPer: Felt good, but got cut off for time after only a short sentence in the 3rd question a few times :( 

This is my 4th straight rejection so far this cycle wooohooo. :( 

This was on the FAQ page for the interview:

"Any sensitive, personal information you choose to disclose on your application and/or during the panel interview is highly unlikely to negatively impact your application. We do appreciate the strength that is required to discuss these topics." 

It is still a touchy subject, but perhaps with better wording, you can deliver it in a better light. Your experiences shape who you are and should not be hidden imo but I understand that it can raise red flags. In previous years I mentioned that I grew up with a family member that suffers from a chronic mental and physical illness, how it changed my life in many negative ways, and why my portfolio doesn't demonstrate my true potential. Previously I've had friends tell me that it just sounded like I was bitter, finding excuses, or trying to get pity points. Last year year I didn't submit the blurb and still didn't interview. I made many (4 years worth) of re-writes by this year, and am finally interviewing (with my blurb). Just my 2 cents, and not totally relevant to your case, but hope it helps shed a bit of light. 

Time Stamp: 10:02am
GPA: 3.95
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Probably my weakest point, few awards, couple long term volunteering, research with pending publications. Enough for an interview at NOSM
CASPer: felt meh, had never written before, not enough for McMaster but I am OOP for there so IDK

Time Stamp: 12:02 pm (EST)
GPA: 3.94
MCAT: 524 (130 CARS)
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Not too many awards, but decent spread of volunteering and research both clinical and basic science. Intramurals, club president, pretty diverse. Probably on the stronger side, but no publications, or anything super unique. 
CASPer: Probably mediocore at best because good enough for Mac, but not Ottawa. Am a fast typer, and generally finished all the questions. 

Excited to come to Edmonton, maybe even catch an Oiler's game! (Edit - they are out of town that weekend :(

Time Stamp: 12:02 pm (EST)
GPA: 3.68 (that's not a typo)
MCAT: 514
Current Degree: Completing PhD, MSc Conferred
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I think my ECs must have really carried me: A lot of research: 10+ publications, 20 abstracts, over 300K in operating grants and scholarships. TA in over 20 courses, lots of employment and leadership, ran two conferences, also involved in one sport for most of my life with international/national level competitions and training 15-20 hours a week. My research is very clinically-based. Not a lot of volunteering because I was always working or training for my sport but for the volunteering I did have I had a high level of responsibility for and it matched well with my other ECs. 
CASPer: Not sure. Didn't get an invite at Mac but that could be the GPA. 

I've never posted here but I wanted to give low GPAs hope! I never thought my first interview invite would be OOP after only ever receiving rejections (I also applied at the end of my masters and didn't receive any interviews). If you have a lot of unique experiences then UofA seems to value that- I'm grateful for their seemingly holistic process. 

GPA: 3.54
MCAT: 517
Current Degree: MSc In Progress
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Pretty diverse. Varsity athlete, somewhat heavy research background (undergrad research which evolved into a master's where I supervised several 399/499 students), a couple publications, presentations at national and international conferences, TA'd a few courses, extensive involvement with a local volunteer organization where I did outreach and education in the LGBTQ community, and worked closely with AHS for the past few years in the area of sexual health.

CASPer: Apparently went well. 

GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 515 (128 CARS)
Current Degree: MSc in progress
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Most of my work focussed on outreach to marginalized communities, either as personal initiatives or in group settings, many very long term or short term with heavy commitment. Also lots of research, international conferences. 
CASPer: I felt good about it, practiced and thought my answers were good but I didnt get an interview from McMaster or Ottawa so I wonder how good it could have been...

Time Stamp: 12:02 pm (30 Jan 2019)
Result: Reject
GPA: 3.83-3.88
MCAT: 516 (no score below 128)
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities: Pretty broad I'd like to think, research, deep volunteering. Wrote a letter of extenuating circumstances and I think it may have shone me in a negative light.
CASPer: Interview at places that place decent emphasis on CASPer with an average/bit below average CARS score.

Result: Invite
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509, 128 CARS

Current Degree: UG complete 2016
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):    Non traditional applicant,  alot of diverse work experience in the trades following high school, and worked long hours operating heavy equipment during summers to pay for school holding positions providing alot of leadership experience. Volunteer research work, long term youth group and rehabilitation  volunteering, minor awards.

Casper: second time doing Casper, felt confident with my answers afterwards.

Time Stamp: 9:02 am , January 30th
GPA: 3.90
MCAT: 517 (131 CARS)
Current Degree: 4th yr UG BSc
Geography (IP/OOP): IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Hospital volunteering, first aid team, long-term sports, 2 years research (no pubs), couple scholarships, and job in tutoring
CASPer: Good enough? Only did the sample CASPer provided on the website for prep, and pretty much had the same answer for most of the questions it felt.